Your motivation

Mikie

I was curious the other day what everyone's motivation is for your hard work in your excercise program.

For me it's the health improvements, feeling good, and all the other benefits of training regularly and eating well.

what drives you? And is there anything that motivates you when life is making it dificult to train or eat well?

Psychological balance.  If I didn't work out my mood would swing back and forth, up and down, and pretty soon I'd be strangling kittens for the fun of it.  I've come to hate all mood altering drugs, especially rx ones that have either done diddly for friends of mine or made them worse.  So I work out, play racquetball, run on the eliptical, and it equalizes my mood better than any pill or hit of weed ever did or could.

Edit: As an aside, when I notice a friend acting depressed or eratic somehow and I can tell something is wrong, they've usually stopped working out. It's like the workout goes south even before their sex lives when it comes to depression or mood problems. Always found that very interesting. And, as a consequence, when things are going poorly in my life I'm near psychotic in ahering to my workout program and pushing myself. I know how much it means.

<div>
(Mikie @ Sep. 20 2007,23:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was curious the other day what everyone's motivation is for your hard work in your excercise program.</div>
chicks like squat butt

If I wasnt doing this I would probably be wasting my time with something far less important or beneficial. Also I just like to tweak and improve things. After I started seeing progress, watching the my maxes go up became addicting. Oh yeah and olympic lifting is just so darn cool...

I used to have rage issues when I was young, eventually I learned to bottle it all up inside which turned out to be a bad idea. Anyway, lifting weights allows me a healthy avenue to release stress, etc. It works great.

I play golf. I played a round today and I've hit the ball the farthest yet. It's motivation enough for me. Strength is good. Size is good.

<div>
(quadancer @ Sep. 21 2007,20:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just don't want to turn into TunnelRat.</div>
Agggh! The fate worse than death!!
ghostface.gif

Actually, it's more of an alternative to death...

But it ain't pretty. It comes from having too many birthdays.

I like the way I look now:

I'm fitter than when I was twenty.

I have less stress,it actually helps to keep me sane!

Its healthy, makes you look good,it has been proven to be the best health medicine yet specially coupled with good eating habits.

Its a gas!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Sep. 21 2007,21:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Sep. 21 2007,20:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just don't want to turn into TunnelRat.</div>
Agggh! The fate worse than death!!
ghostface.gif

Actually, it's more of an alternative to death...

But it ain't pretty. It comes from having too many birthdays.</div>
I saw one time how old Tunnel Rat was, but I forget. I know I would be very proud if I was him,
tounge.gif

I never did any excercise program until a couple of years ago when I bought a bike. I noticed a very quick change in my attitude and patience with life. all these people taking prescriptions, and I doubt anyone ever told them to WALK or RUN or do flippin jumpin jacks for a month or so, see how they felt. I know some have real issues.

best point: chicks like squat butt

adding them to my w/o next session
wow.gif

I think T.R. has a few more b'days than me (I'm 54) and O&amp;G is of course our resident ancient sage. I love to &quot;fess&quot; up my age around guys as old as me and see that look in their eyes...and I still wish I'd started long before I was 46. When you're built better than &quot;normal&quot;, everyone thinks you're younger than you are. Same thing for my wife. She's pretty slim at 49.

My mother is 94. She is frail and weak and slow. I had the sudden realization that I could possibly live another 30 years! I didn't want to wait until too late to try to get back in shape.

[Actually, of course, I was in shape -- I was shaped like a pear...]

When I started training, five years ago, I was 125lbs... very, very skinny! Now, I'm 175lbs... all muscles! When I look at some pictures of me 5 or more years ago, I really don't want to look like that again.... That's my motivation!

Before I came to bodybuilding, I was morbidly obese, smoked like a chimney (50 cigs or more a day) and never said no to pizza, beer, and all the “cool” stuff. One day, May 28, 2006, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. It was nothing, but I knew it could have been. On June 1, 2006, I stepped into the gym for the first time at age 39.

Now, October 2007, I can say that I have lost 39 Kg / 90 lbs of bodyweight; my waist has shrunk 25 cm / 10 in. and since January 25, I haven’t touched a single cigarette. Today, I basically eat oats and chicken – and some of the “cool” stuff every now and then. But what’s my motivation? I just look at the photo my wife took 5 minutes before I entered the gym for the first time. I know I never want to be like that again. I also look around me: each time I see someone in bad shape – and that is very often – I just tell myself that beer, pizza, and whatnot is just not worth it.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Oct. 05 2007,17:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Before I came to bodybuilding, I was morbidly obese, smoked like a chimney (50 cigs or more a day) and never said no to pizza, beer, and all the “cool” stuff. One day, May 28, 2006, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. It was nothing, but I knew it could have been. On June 1, 2006, I stepped into the gym for the first time at age 39.

Now, October 2007, I can say that I have lost 39 Kg / 90 lbs of bodyweight; my waist has shrunk 25 cm / 10 in. and since January 25, I haven’t touched a single cigarette. Today, I basically eat oats and chicken – and some of the “cool” stuff every now and then. But what’s my motivation? I just look at the photo my wife took 5 minutes before I entered the gym for the first time. I know I never want to be like that again. I also look around me: each time I see someone in bad shape – and that is very often – I just tell myself that beer, pizza, and whatnot is just not worth it.</div>
Wow , cool post and great job getting in shape
smile.gif

Great job Atlas and good for you too, XFatMan. Great username too!
biggrin.gif

YEAH seriously fricken awesome XFatMan, that is amazing and u should be heaps proud of yaself ay! an inspiration and that goes to EVERYONE here we all have done so well in sticking to our goals and not letting up, well done to everyone ay!

and xahrx, yeah my reason is similar in ways, but yeah i also do it for the benefits of having lots of muscle mass and lookin funky ;)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was curious the other day what everyone's motivation is for your hard work in your excercise program.
</div>

girls

Back