Your motivation

<div>
(XFatMan @ Oct. 05 2007,16:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Before I came to bodybuilding, I was morbidly obese, smoked like a chimney (50 cigs or more a day) and never said no to pizza, beer, and all the “cool” stuff. One day, May 28, 2006, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. It was nothing, but I knew it could have been. On June 1, 2006, I stepped into the gym for the first time at age 39.

Now, October 2007, I can say that I have lost 39 Kg / 90 lbs of bodyweight; my waist has shrunk 25 cm / 10 in. and since January 25, I haven’t touched a single cigarette. Today, I basically eat oats and chicken – and some of the “cool” stuff every now and then. But what’s my motivation? I just look at the photo my wife took 5 minutes before I entered the gym for the first time. I know I never want to be like that again. I also look around me: each time I see someone in bad shape – and that is very often – I just tell myself that beer, pizza, and whatnot is just not worth it.</div>
That's awesome XFatMan... Very inspiring.

I have worked with a LOT of people over the years, and very few are ever able to make a real change in their lives.

-bryan

LOL quad.

XFatMan, you are badass. I salute you.

My own journey to the Iron Summit began when I was 12 and an adolescent friend of mine began to routinely overpower me in backyard wrestling. He had begun lifting weights. This, coupled with a violent school environment encouraged me to lift some concrete weights my dad had bought and never used. I wanted to impress girls as well as I was often teased for being skinny - a table that turns once you get older. These things kept me motivated until i was 20. I stopped lifting for about 7 years. I got back into it last year because I was tired of being tired when I had to lift and move things, because I have excess energy that lifting gets rid of, because I sleep better, because it keeps me younger from hormonal and muscle-building effects, because it makes me bigger which translates to increased respect from other men which is important in business, and because, for lack of a better term, its in my blood. There were periods when I lifted 6 days a week, when I was 15, because I read it in an M&amp;F somewhere. When I sustained a head injury at 16 my parents damn near threw my weight set away because the doctor expressly forbid it and I would wait until they were out to lift again (I wish I hadn't done that now). Nowadays I intentionally stop myself from going because I will, in my experience, overdo it and I have hurt myself three times in the last 8 months. So yeah, basically I lift because its good for me, I like the results, and I'm fatally addicted to it.

After writing this I think I am going to stop stopping myself and just learn the hard way.

I would have to say that I'm power hungry. I want to do nothing but progress and that means constantly bulking and getting stronger along with it. I have a fairly large ego and I would rather have the body to go with it. I can be a real nice guy and I feel sometimes people can take advantage of that and attempt to push my buttons when I have an anger problem as it is. Being physically superior to the average person keeps some of the disrespect from coming my way. Not only that but running into someone that used to know you from school and seeing that you have gotten so much bigger is a great feeling. That and I have been acused many times of juicing which is flattering.

I like to look good nekid!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Mar. 14 2008,19:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like to look good nekid!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Oh yeah. Tons of guys who lift look good provided they keep their shirts on. Yes, shirts do keep the flab together. If they take the shirt off, something which they won't do in public, ... aw my! Yes, I will be tiny when I get to 10% body fat. But hey, I can then actually take my shirt off without being ashamed. The guy next to me will be comparatively huge, uh, fat, I mean.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Mar. 14 2008,17:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Mar. 14 2008,19:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like to look good nekid!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Oh yeah. Tons of guys who lift look good provided they keep their shirts on. Yes, shirts do keep the flab together. If they take the shirt off, something which they won't do in public, ... aw my! Yes, I will be tiny when I get to 10% body fat. But hey, I can then actually take my shirt off without being ashamed. The guy next to me will be comparatively huge, uh, fat, I mean.</div>
ill be happy when i look big in my clothes and without lol, 10% is a nice target, one im hopin to reach one day, too much growin to do at the moment.

my mates 224lbs@6% he looks awesome, gave me some extra motivation. if i wanted to get to 6% id have to go from 231lbs down to about 200lbs, not quite ready for that yet so 10% will do..

Yep...Ripped and lean look= you look like you don't work out with Clothes on!

Huge big mofo look with clothes on makes you look like **** at the beach!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yep...Ripped and lean look= you look like you don't work out with Clothes on!

Huge big mofo look with clothes on makes you look like **** at the beach!</div>
Yeah, it's always like that, but is there anything you can do about it?

Now, about motivation... I believe most people with a few years of training under their belt would say they feel really awful and useless when not working out. The longer you stay away from the gym, the worse it gets, until one day you decide &quot;no more&quot; and hit the gym again. It's an addiction, really.

It's a disease....

After I accomplished all I wanted in powerlifting, I told myself I would never squat or deadlift again, but just do leg presses and other &quot;safe&quot; exercises with machines..cable rows, etc....but, I can't handle the feeling of having a soft and weak core. I imagine bodybuilders feel the same way when they think their arms are 1/32&quot; smaller than they were two weeks ago.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Apr. 10 2008,18:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Steve are you cutting or bulking currently.

Everytime I see pics of your AVATAR...it reminds me how small I am!
biggrin.gif
</div>
You look like you have pretty good size to me, dude. I'm doing a very slow cut until xmas. I eat about 1-200 cals below maintenance.

Wildauer Martin is incredible; that is just an amazing deadlift for a 19 year old.

He's using a hook grip which just goes to show how effective it can be if you work at it.

He can front squat more than I can deadlift! Check out his front squat vid for an exciting finale.
biggrin.gif

Front Squat fun

Not sure why he thanked his spotters.  They didn't do much. Well, obviously they help a little bit. But I always laugh when I see huge weights in PL comps being lifted and a couple of guys standing around who think they are going to catch it if the lift fails for some reason.  I have never seen a failed lift cought by the spotters.  The bar ALWAYS comes crashing down!

motivation revisited ....

although im trying to grow at the moment, i am losing some bf. ive added a bit of runnin 2-3x per week and ive hailed the return of my top two abs and im seeing some shape in my lower abdominals this has given my motivation a boost.

still along way to go, 10% without losing any lbm is gonna be tricky.

whatever your motivation is its important to hang on to your goals in order to realise them. ive moved the goal posts so many times lol, like every time i get bigger, and say &quot;damn im just not big enough&quot;.well ive surpassed some goals but am yet to reach my main target.

for me size is more important than strength, strength comes with lifting anyway, in the gym my lifts are proberbly average.

all i know is, if i didnt train i wouldnt know what to do with myself, i guess its in my blood.

<div>
(seemore @ Oct. 09 2007,06:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was curious the other day what everyone's motivation is for your hard work in your excercise program.
</div>

girls</div>
Wow. This must be one of the most honest answers I have ever seen to any question.

I, on the other hand, wanted to be Batman.

I know, you probably didn't see that coming.
laugh.gif

Cheers,
-JV

<div>
(jvroig @ Apr. 13 2008,10:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(seemore @ Oct. 09 2007,06:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">girls</div>
Wow. This must be one of the most honest answers I have ever seen to any question.

I, on the other hand, wanted to be Batman.</div>
So long as you don't want to become  Batgirl, we're okay with it...  
wink.gif

Back