Who cares about steroids?

Just a quick comment about the slender look of yesteryear, and the muscularly obese look of today. Have you ever seen Ronnie Coleman in person?

We may all have different opinions about what looks "good" in the magazines (and rightly so), but when you get up close and personal, there are very few if any bodybuilding enthusiasts who aren't awestruck by Ronnie's physique in person.

Never seen him in person, and don't get me wrong, I do find huge to be impressive. Overall proportion and symmetry matter more to me though. Also, to me proportion takes into account what looks right overall as well as the relative sizes of the muscles. For example, back to golden age, Schwartzenegger. Not small by any stretch, in fact I'd say he was pretty huge. But didn't seem like he was too big for himself, know what I mean?

When I saw pictures of the last Arnold Classic, I don't know the guys by name, but one of them had quadriceps that were so huge and bulging I doubt he could see his own feet. That just seems way too big in my opinion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Baoh @ Sep. 21 2004,1:12)]Steroids are delicious.
Agreed ...
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Sep. 20 2004,7:34)]In the case of a doctor, it's different. This is their profession. They have spent extensive time studying and learning about androgens, bla bla bla. This is their life. They are very qualified to speak/preach on this issue.
No, most doctors have spent as much time studying androgens as they have spent studying nutrition.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Sep. 19 2004,6:25)]Just a few comments (off the record).
Steroids, or rather, steroid hormones, are important to anyone insterested in growing more muscle than they have today. They are also important to anyone who doesn't want to lose any more muscle than they have to as they age (e.g. HRT).
The illegal use of AAS is only one aspect of steroid hormones. It is a mistake to put every testosterone issue under illegal use of AAS.
That's just my personal take on the issue. I personally find the mechanism of AAS and muscle tissue fascinating. I also love the look that they provide those who choose to use them chronically. I've always been a fan of HUGE over gracefull. I look forward to the oportunity to keep my testosterone levels in the "high-normal" range as I hit andropause as well.
Can you get them prescribed at that point?

Who cares about steroids?

Apparently "CSI" does!

In a recent episode (of which I only saw 10 minutes, I hardly ever watch the show) some steroid-using bodybuilder died from a mold infection because his immune system was weakened due to steroid use. Furthermore, the mold got into his house in the first place because he shot and killed a prostitute (people who are that narcissistic prefer prostitutes over girlfriends, they said) out of roid rage, and the human tissue on the bullet allowed the mold to grow.

Although I am no expert on steroids, and I don't pretend to be, I just thought this was funny because it is so over the top and full of media propogated nonsense.

Just thought I'd share
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but I'll admit that it's nice to walk into a gym or a room and be the most muscular person there. With all the guys juicing these days it is impossible to compete naturally. I like the respect that a person gets when someone not into weight training looks at you and for a split second wishes they looked like you. I also like the fact that the bigger you are, the less likely someone is to argue or confront you.

Not to pick on this quote but, it is a good summary of what a lot of you guys have been saying on the thread. I think a lot of bodybuilders, especially the ones using the help of "drugs" base there entire self-esteem on their physical appearance. Living as far as I'm concerned goes well beyond just muscle mass. Sadly, I think a lot of people are unhappy with themselves for no good reason. Life is not a bench press competion or a bodyuilding competition. There are guys out there, that weigh 140lbs or less that can put Ronnie Coleman in a chokehold before he can say "dianabol". In the same token, there are guys out there that are extremely successful in their given field that are making great cash, banging nice p*&^y and dont base their entire happiness of how there workout went that morning, or feeling anxious because they haven't had a can of tuna within the last hour.
So, my point is when I walk into the gym, nobody knows if I have an oVerhand right like Roy Jones or a bank account like Bill Gates, therefore nobody will ever make me feel inadequate. Where I come from respect encompasses a lot more than what just goes on in the gym.

PS: I have seen Ronnie Coleman in person and have engaged in conversation with, and in my opinion have met many other people deserving of far more respect and admiration.

Joe G

I'm waiting for my girlfriend to pick me up for some Rita's so naturally in the interim, I am reading the HST forums. ;)

Steroids will always be an effective way for any bodybuilder to put on mass, if used properly and quite frankly in the actual sport of competitive bodybuilding, steroids don't bother me at all--they've been used for ages.

I think an issue arises when the topic of steroids is put in the context of athletes, especially young high school students.

I graduated from high school a couple years ago and during that year our football team won the State Championship. Watching the football players walk around with their GIGANTIC State Champ rings, I couldn't help but feel somewhat discouraged and nearly ashamed. You see, our football team wasn't all that talented as they were huge. It was open knowledge to all students, and therefore to administrators, coaches, etc, that many of the football (and basketball and lacrosee) players were using steroids and gaining size at a tremendous rate.

Now of course, the chain reaction starts. Players who don't use steroids will be forced to as they watch their peers grow faster and faster. So, it may have started with one renegade player years ago that decided to "juice," and his progress influenced more and more to do the same. The problem here is that at some point, it is logical that all serious high school athletes will need to use drugs just to stay competitive. Maybe this is not "right" or "wrong" and is just the logical evolution of sports, but for whatever reason, it doesn't sit right with me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Who cares about steroids?

Apparently "CSI" does!

In a recent episode (of which I only saw 10 minutes, I hardly ever watch the show) some steroid-using bodybuilder died from a mold infection because his immune system was weakened due to steroid use. Furthermore, the mold got into his house in the first place because he shot and killed a prostitute (people who are that narcissistic prefer prostitutes over girlfriends, they said) out of roid rage, and the human tissue on the bullet allowed the mold to grow.

I have to agree with savagebeast. I saw that episode and decided it was full of crap nonsense. Over the top indeed. Blaming it all on steriods. They should be ashamed of themselves. But courtesy of that episode, we probably have a hundred thousand more "expert" people roaming around the world saying "steriods are from Satan!"

If you ask me it is almost all of the people on this thread that should be ashamed of themselves. To be so outraged that the majority of people dont feel it is necessary to risk their physical and psychological health in order to get big muscles is sad. Especially when gains made while using anabolic steroids are usually lost once anabolic steroid use is discontinued.

And those of you who condemn those "experts" who really don't know about steroids, most of you are just as bad as them except you have the opposite opinion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I look forward to the oportunity to keep my testosterone levels in the "high-normal" range as I hit andropause as well.

This is possibly the only rational comment made on this thread.

Joe G

Hey :)

Aww, c'mon Joe, that's such a strong statement. Not everybody here is criticizing "steriod-hating" people. In fact and even more, I don't think anybody mentioned or fought for steriods to be legalized without humor (like the Joe Weider comment)

I think what most people here are ranting about is when people who aren't experts preach insanely about anti-steriod stuff, or go over the top too much, or just in anyway promote the concept that "all steriods are bad, period!" without really understanding what the whole fuss is about.

I don't use steriods, and I don't really plan to use it ever. However, some people have a desire to grow more and bigger muscle than what is probably possible with just natural training. Given the right steriod and used in the proper dosages and frequency, I would not doubt these guys would achieve their goal without getting 'roid rage and kicking somebody's butt for no reason at all, or whatever stereotyped steriod user reaction.

So Joe, lighten up a little, dude. I doubt anybody here is actually saying lawmakers are idiots for banning steriods. There's no need to say everybody here ought to be ashamed of themselves or whatnot. Biz asked people about steriods, they gave their honest answers. Nobody "preached" about the virtues of steriods, or why it should be voted as the best thing since God created life. Some just mentioned that they get bugged when honestly unknowledgeable people rant like experts about anti-steriod stuff, that's all. No harm there.

Regards :)
-JV

crazy.gif

All good points made JV. I just feel like most guys advocating steroids is because they want to impress girls or get an unfair advantage on sports. However I will admit I believe that it would not only be harmless but beneficial for men at an older age to use in order to keep their testosterone levels at a normal level.

As for Totentanz's reply: Personally I wouldn't ever want to come off of steroids especially after the penile enlargement and increased libido
wow.gif
. So along with bigger muscles obviously I can see how guys get addicted.

Joe G

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joe G @ Aug. 06 2005,11:12)]Especially when gains made while using anabolic steroids are usually lost once anabolic steroid use is discontinued.
I'm sorry, but this is not entirely correct. The only gains people lose after discontinuing steroid usage is water weight. As you may know, strong androgens tend to make you retain water. This water weight will be lost once you are off the cycle. Many people assume that the weight they are losing is actually muscle, but it's not. You won't lose much muscle at all when you come off of steroids unless you suddenly stop training or start cutting calories significantly.
I will agree that if you have surpassed your natural limits, eventually you will lose some of that muscle mass, but you make it sound like using steroids is pointless unless you continue using them for your entire life.
Further, I also have to disagree with one of your other statements. Steroid usage is not automatically some huge risk to your physical or psychological well being. Just like with all drugs, there is a difference between drug use and drug abuse. Granted, many overzealous bodybuilders do not use steroids responsibly, but there are many who DO use them responsibly as well.
Remember that people don't just use steroids to get huge. Many athletes use them purely for performance enhancement, rather than sheer size gains.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scooper182 @ Aug. 05 2005,9:12)]Now of course, the chain reaction starts.  Players who don't use steroids will be forced to as they watch their peers grow faster and faster.  So, it may have started with one renegade player years ago that decided to "juice," and his progress influenced more and more to do the same.  The problem here is that at some point, it is logical that all serious high school athletes will need to use drugs just to stay competitive.  Maybe this is not "right" or "wrong" and is just the logical evolution of sports, but for whatever reason, it doesn't sit right with me.
Actually, last I checked those athletes had the choice to: not compete; compete naturally and see if you can beat the athletes using juice; use juice. I fail to see what in the situation "forces" them to use steroids. Perhaps they may think use necessary in order to compete. No one is holding a gun to their head. They have minds of their own and can make their own choices. It's true teens and even people in their early twenties should not be using steroids, but it's also true that no one is forcing anyone to use.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joe G @ Aug. 06 2005,11:12)]If you ask me it is almost all of the people on this thread that should be ashamed of themselves.  To be so outraged that the majority of people dont feel it is necessary to risk their physical and psychological health in order to get big muscles is sad.

Actually the only outrage I've seen expressed here and elsewhere is over the fact that if people decide to use they run the risk of going to prison.  It's also expressed over the assumed harm of steroids when there's very little evidence to support that claim except mostly n=1 case studies from the seventies, often involving kids who were given ridiculous doses on a bodyweight basis for ridiculous amounts of time because they had growth problems or blood disorders, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Especially when gains made while using anabolic steroids are usually lost once anabolic steroid use is discontinued.

Gains can be lost, often because the person using the steroids shouldn't have used them because they weren't ready, or water weight was lost.  With proper diet and training it's more than possible to keep gains beyond a person's genetic limit for quite some time.  With moderate use over time added to that it's even easier. For a person with a dialed in diet who is not at their genetic limit but progressing towards it who uses roids, keeping gains is also relatively easy. Many people confuse weight loss due to water or poor diet as being due to steroid usage and inherently unmaintainable gains. That's simply not the case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And those of you who condemn those "experts" who really don't know about steroids, most of you are just as bad as them except you have the opposite opinion.

When there are opposing opinions on a matter there's always one fact that can't be escaped: one is right and the other is wrong.  Those people likely haven't read a single study on the subject.  Those people likely don't know that there isn't a single long term study on steroid side effects.  Those people likely don't know that the few studies that have been done where dosages and duration of use have been kept sane have found little to no indicators of any negative health effects.

It's still possible that steroids have long term health effects, the problem is the people who support prohibition and demonize steroids take the position of: "We know they're dangerous.  In fact they're so dangerous we don't think it's ethical to fund studies to actually prove they're dangerous.  But, we know they're dangerous."

That kind of thinking lands a lot of people in rubber rooms. And I find it slightly hypocritical that in our society people can cut, lift, suck and have inplants in any part of their body for cosmetic reasons, but a man can't manipulate his hormones a couple times a year to further the same goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is possibly the only rational comment made on this thread.

Actually it's not as he's likely going to have problems finding a doctor who is willing to prescribe HRT.  Maybe not severe difficulties, but likely some.  Mostly because doctors, like many other people, accept the testosterone and other steroids=devil's seed common wisdom of the day regardless of evidence or lack thereof, and the doctors who don't accept that common wisdom don't always want to deal with the DEA and the FDA up their rear ends asking questions about this or that prescription.

I have to admit, I have seriously thought about 1 or 2 light and short superdrol cycles. maybe 10mg for 10 days and 20mg for 10 days. But it's prolly one of those things I will think about and think about, but never do.

ya know what I mean?

I guess i really want to, but I am kinda skeered to
sad.gif

But I have no problems with steroid users, other than the ones that abuse them and give them a bad name. Like the ephedra users that caused the ban.

It's just like anything else, you gotta use your head.

I have road motorcycles all my life. And I have been told all my life "that thing is a casket on wheels". you just gotta use your head.

I never really thought of Ephedra as an abuse problem. The problem seemed to me to be that the FDA hated the fact that certain regulations required them to show a product was dangerous before they could take it off the market, rather than just exercising they're all seeing, all knowing power as they saw fit. Also a general public hysteria over a few Adverse Event Reports, and a legitimate problem with dosage control.

If you're a bit put off by the idea of a SuperDrol cycle but are still thinking about it, and have never done roids before, it's probably just the alure of being able to get something easily and legally that's drawing you in, and it's probably not for you. Probably be better if you just stayed away. A first cycle of orals isn't the best option either, as they require more additional products for liver protection and cholesterol control pre, during and post cycle. A good beginner cycle is injectable or transdermal testosterone. Always does the trick.

I wouldn't use Superdrol anyway. In my opinion, the gains are mediocre compared to other types of steroids, and it's pretty new so we don't know as much about it as we know about testosterone or even dianabol. The only good thing is that it is legal. But personally, I don't think it is worth it.

Back