Powerlifting Goals

My current goals, by 2008.

Deadlift: 2.5x bodyweight (550 @ 220)
Olympic Squat: 2x bodyweight (440 @ 220)
Bench: 1.5x bodyweight (330 @ 220)
Standing Press: 1x bodyweight (220).

Need to add 20 lb.s to my frame.
Need to +185 to my deadlift.
+185 to my Oly. Squat.
+125 to my bench.
+80 to my standing press.

With serious StrengthSpecificTraining, eating and AAS (kidding...maybe
wink.gif
) I will get there soon.

Sci, as soon as I get this darn cutting out of the way I'll be approaching my training in a similar way.

My goals for singles are a bit lower than yours but I still have a way to go to reach them by 2008:

500lb dead (currently 415)
400lb squat (currently 358)
300lb bench (currently 250) may be impossible due to my right AC joint condition
200lb press (currently 160)

I don't really care what my body weight is at the time but it'll probably be around 220 too.

You are not so far off....especially your squat, you will get there soon! 358 squat is awesome! Once you stop cutting it will help.
Also HST is great, but there is much more to strength than just hypertrophy. If you want pure strength, do SST and train your nervous system as much as you train your muscles! HST is good, but not enough focus on heavy lifting for maximal neural strength gains.

I recommend 5x5 type training or Max-stim, focusing on heavy reps with rest between. Just be careful to monitor your recovery. At my current strength levels, I am not afraid to overtrain, my conditioning is so hihg, I am more afraid to undertrain.

Did deadlifts with 255 lb.s for 5 sets of 5 reps yesterday and today have almost no soreness, just a little in my trapezius.

I beg to differ in opinions of HST, since so many did get strong with it along with hypertrophy.
IMO, the 5x5 was purely strength, and a little hypertrophy due to the change from the former program (HST). But it was SO easy to gain FAT...the eating making the workouts fantastic, but the innertube around the gut creeping up before I was done.
Also, my conditioning suffers from the low reps. So it's back to HST for a cycle, and depending on my condition at the end of that, it's either back  to SST or an HST cycle with no 15's, and some minor tweaks for strength.
I'm looking forward to the buttkicking I know the 15's are gonna give me this round. I'll be eating maintenance until the 10's, then cut.
Looking back at my old log of an HST cycle where I skipped the 15's before, (I don't recommend doing this back to back) I hit a lot of decent PR's.
From submax up.
Just don't do what I did and not do any cardio during SST. I also was sitting at the computer doing bid research and talking a lot with you guys. No workout there...

im mainly concentrating aesthetics these days. as ive stated before strength has never been a strength for me but one exer. that i have had modest yet steady progress with is deadlift. short range goal is 450 for 5. longer range (winter 07/08) 480-500 for 5.

sci
are you working on any type of diet plan yet?

HST is focused on size; and as a consequence, we get stronger.
SST is focused on strength, and STRENGTH, and also Strength.

HST is the best for hypertrophy, and therefore also very good for strength gains.
But for maximal strength gains, one must train specifically for strength as the goal.

<div>
(bluejacket @ Mar. 28 2007,22:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">im mainly concentrating aesthetics these days. as ive stated before strength has never been a strength for me but one exer. that i have had modest yet steady progress with is deadlift. short range goal is 450 for 5. longer range (winter 07/08) 480-500 for 5.

sci
are you working on any type of diet plan yet?</div>
See-food diet.
biggrin.gif

Add MASS.
Need to be at least 220 to be as strong as I need to be at my height.

My goals are conveniently placed in my sig, lest I never forget them!
smile.gif

As I work my way down to the 7-s in bodyfat, though, I might see some of my strength dippedy-do a bit.

I think Steve J. is right....it's hard to reach your genetic potential in strength from a lean state, but then again, I'm stronger now than I was at 190, so who knows...

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 28 2007,22:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But for maximal strength gains, one must train specifically for strength as the goal.</div>
Amen, brother!

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 28 2007,23:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your bench press is pretty awesome. (raw right?)

I don't know many (any!) people who can bench 295 @ 164 lb.s.</div>
Tks, SM
smile.gif

Dumb question, but what does raw mean? If that means no apparatus, I do use wrist supports.

My closest goals:
Squat - take 150 kg again
Bench - Take 125 kg again
Deadlift - 200 kg (have taken 190)

Next goal will probably be 500 total.

Here comes HST's big weakling...

All in pounds...

5RM Current/Goals (end of year)
Deadlifts = 300/400
Squats = 150/250
Bench Press = 180/270
Dips = BW+70/BW+150
Chins = BW-40/BW+30
Military Press = 100/150

rock.gif

Dual Factor HST or just SST this summer!

thats an odd dip # colby.

bw+70 for 5 is a real solid lift (if going to parallel) especially for someone over 200lbs. i would have thought that would have translated into a bigger bench or at least a bigger press. im not &quot;knocking&quot; any of your wgts at all but that dip# is way out in front of everything else by a mile.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 29 2007,12:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">no bench shirt...</div>
Ah, then I'm good. No bench shirt
smile.gif

Glad 2 see you post your goals in your sig. I find it really motivating, because you're always reminded of the big picture, and it helps me stay focused.

Kickass quote, too....

To reach my goals in 37 weeks, I will have to add 5 lb.s/week to my deadlift and squat. 3.3 pounds/week to my bench press and 2 lb.s/week to my standing press. This is a bit aggressive, but so what...better to aim for the stars.
cool.gif

<div>
(bluejacket @ Mar. 29 2007,16:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thats an odd dip # colby.

bw+70 for 5 is a real solid lift (if going to parallel) especially for someone over 200lbs. i would have thought that would have translated into a bigger bench or at least a bigger press. im not &quot;knocking&quot; any of your wgts at all but that dip# is way out in front of everything else by a mile.</div>
Trust me.

I know.
sad.gif

I hope the Cuban Presses work.

Back