Does full body workouts work for strength?

<div>
(Stefan @ Jul. 09 2008,1:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, I can't really do squats and deadlifts now anyway so all I'm left with is the bench.</div>
my sympathies. were I in this untenable position, I'd follow a powerlifting program and ignore everything the program says w/ the exception of bench press.

can you post a video of your bench form?

Pure crossfit, working the mainpage workout of the day on a 3 on/1 off schedule caused me to become quite overtrained after 6 months of strict adherence.

Now I'm back to putting together a solid, progressive strength routine, while incorporating 2 crossfit intense metcon workouts (5-15 minutes, MAX) and 1 day of sprints. Might just put the CF workouts at the end of 2 of my strength workouts. Still trying to sort out a schedule.

lol @ crossfit

If you are wanting powerlifting, or specific bench only, train for bench only, and do some other work for lower body, back etc as it fits in.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party- but what the heck...

You have to deadlift - there is really no excuse beyond a medical/doctors order. You can use baby weights and increase reps instead of load , or only increase load by ridiculously low increments with ridiculously far apart frequency(for the load increases not the frequency of the exersize itself)- there's just too many ways to make it work not to. You obviously are online- check out you tube for an idea of form. If you begin and spend plenty of time at the baby weights while really concentrating on form it really will all &quot;click&quot; by the time you get the loads moving- take as long as necessary - I promise it will be fine as long as you go slowly.

Secondly there is no such thing as a big sustainable bench with out putting time in with rows , be it chest supported or bent over rows . This is so important - your bench will only get so far before stalling and injury without also &quot;growing&quot; the supporting musculature.

If all you did was bench,row, overhead press and dead - you'd be fine and probably amazed at the result (as long as you EAT and sleep)- if you HAD to drop one drop overhead or bench- for you with an emphasis on bench obviously you'd drop overheads.Rowing and deads are really NOT an option. OK I'm done...
biggrin.gif

Back