Does full body workouts work for strength?

Stefan

I'm desperately trying to gain some strength at the moment. One idea I've been thinking about is doing a full body workout times a week with 5 reps and 3 sets per exercise. Would this be good for gaining strength or should I try some other setup?

<div>
(Stefan @ Jun. 27 2008,10:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm desperately trying to gain some strength at the moment. One idea I've been thinking about is doing a full body workout times a week with 5 reps and 3 sets per exercise. Would this be good for gaining strength or should I try some other setup?</div>
I had a lot of luck with Korte's 3x3.

What are your current strength levels and body weight and height?

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 27 2008,1:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What are your current strength levels and body weight and height?</div>
'm only concerned with improving my bench press (don't do squats or deadlifts) which I'm pretty weak in. 1RM is 200 pounds. I'm 6'2&quot;@180lbs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm 23 and I've been training for about 3 years, although only for strength for about a year. I used to do a lot of cardio and didn't really care about strength improvement.

<div>
(Stefan @ Jun. 27 2008,4:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">'m only concerned with improving my bench press (don't do squats or deadlifts)</div>
you should try crossfit.com, it's great

You could do HST and just tweak the bench for strength with 5x5's as per the Madcow for beginners.
Consider that powerlifters are strong everywhere and only do 3 lifts. You can work out your whole body with just a barbell. IMO, if you do tons of isos and auxiliary exerisizes, you take away strengths from the main lifts. The body can only balance so much at a time unless you're 20.

<div>
(Stefan @ Jun. 27 2008,5:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">'m only concerned with improving my bench press (don't do squats or deadlifts) which I'm pretty weak in.</div>
Just curious as to why you don't do 2 of the most basic and important exercises one can do with barbells?

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jun. 28 2008,7:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you should try crossfit.com, it's great</div>
FF, I agree that Crossfit is great. In fact, I started doing it 2 weeks ago. However, Crossfit is definitely NOT for someone who doesn't squat or deadlift. Crossfit uses highly functional compound exercises and you can't get more functional than picking up a heavy object from the ground as in the deadlift.

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Jun. 28 2008,12:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Stefan @ Jun. 27 2008,5:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">'m only concerned with improving my bench press (don't do squats or deadlifts) which I'm pretty weak in.</div>
Just curious as to why you don't do 2 of the most basic and important exercises one can do with barbells?</div>
I've injured myself quite a few times doing squats and deadlifts. I know its due to faulty technique so I've stopped doing them altogether. Currently I don't really have the ability to train at a regular gym so I'd need to stick to exercises I'm confident I can perform correctly.

I'm actually thinking tweaking the 5x5 program but I'm rather apprehensive since the first thing you read in Bill Star's description is &quot;DO NOT **** WITH THIS PROGRAM&quot;
biggrin.gif

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Jun. 28 2008,12:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(fearfactory @ Jun. 28 2008,7:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you should try crossfit.com, it's great</div>
FF, I agree that Crossfit is great. In fact, I started doing it 2 weeks ago. However, Crossfit is definitely NOT for someone who doesn't squat or deadlift. Crossfit uses highly functional compound exercises and you can't get more functional than picking up a heavy object from the ground as in the deadlift.</div>
I like the overall fitness approach of CrossFit, but when I look at their routines it appears to me that they are spreading themselves too thin in an effort to cover all the bases.  Rippetoe has gotten them to emphasize strength more, but alot of their stuff seems very oriented towards muscular endurance (e.g., 100 pushups, etc).

Same applies to cardio.  Though the workouts themselves can be aerobic exercise, I wonder how useful doing something like 5 km only once every 3-4 weeks is.

The intensity of the workouts has also produced cases of rhabdomyolysis, which seems catabolic and counter-productive.

Don't get me wrong here -- I like the idea behind CrossFit, I just wonder about the execution. I would like you guys' comments on your experience so far -- let me know if I am off base here.

^ I agree w/ you Ruthenian.  nice post.

I think, in general, that crossfit is HIIT with some strength training.  Focus on conditioning causes me to hate crossfit (which admittedly is an ignorant reason to hate).  That said, the randomness of the program contradicts everything I love about lifting (periodization and progressive load).  In the past, anything positive I have said here about crossfit was sarcastic.  Since Lol likes it, I've come to have a gentler view as he continues to be my hero.  

At least crossfit features hotties doing legit exercises.  People there are creative and helpful.  Lots of useful information on the site. It has probably led people to exercise more, which is good.

bottom line on crossfit is that it's not going to help me be a better wrestler, make me bigger/stronger.  So...I would never do it UNLESS I thought there was a shot that my wife would start squatting ONLY then would I crossfit.

to the original poster,
I referred you to crossfit because of the contradiction between post #1 <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've been thinking about is doing a full body workout</div> and post # 5 <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">only concerned with improving my bench press (don't do squats or deadlifts)</div>  Honestly, I think folks who change their minds constantly are better served crossfitting than from an awesome program (or set of principles) such as HST.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 08 2008,11:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">to the original poster,
I referred you to crossfit because of the contradiction between post #1 <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've been thinking about is doing a full body workout</div> and post # 5 <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">only concerned with improving my bench press (don't do squats or deadlifts)</div> Honestly, I think folks who change their minds constantly are better served crossfitting than from an awesome program (or set of principles) such as HST.</div>
A bit unclear of me perhaps - what I meant was that the bench press is the only area I'm not getting stronger in. In all other exercises I'm getting stronger and can simply increase the weight on a weekly basis but for some reason my bench has stalled... That's the reason I was looking for a strength program which I intend to apply to the bench only. Also, I can't really do squats and deadlifts now anyway so all I'm left with is the bench.

<div>
(Stefan @ Jul. 09 2008,3:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A bit unclear of me perhaps - what I meant was that the bench press is the only area I'm not getting stronger in. In all other exercises I'm getting stronger and can simply increase the weight on a weekly basis but for some reason my bench has stalled... That's the reason I was looking for a strength program which I intend to apply to the bench only. Also, I can't really do squats and deadlifts now anyway so all I'm left with is the bench.</div>
My experience with the bench press is that it can be a little intimidating. I do not have access to a power rack so I need a spotter or might end up stuck with the bar on the chest if I fail. There is a lot of mental pressure because of that holding you back from pushing yourself and increasing weight and therefore strength and size. Of course there is a myriad other reasons for stalling in bench, such as wrong form.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 09 2008,7:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can you incline and do decline and/or dips? That will give you a break from flat and improve it as well.</div>
You mean completely substituting bench for dips? Well, if it works I certainly wouldn't mind! As electric pointed out, bench pressing is kind of intimidating so doing a completely different exercises wouldn't bother me at all.
smile.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 28 2008,7:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You could do HST and just tweak the bench for strength with 5x5's as per the Madcow for beginners.
Consider that powerlifters are strong everywhere and only do 3 lifts. You can work out your whole body with just a barbell. IMO, if you do tons of isos and auxiliary exerisizes, you take away strengths from the main lifts. The body can only balance so much at a time unless you're 20.</div>
I agree with Quad. Do an HST/5x5 hybrid... standard HST for all exercises except for bench. Throw bench on the 5x5 protocol and keep your HST exercises limited so you don't exhaust yourself.

Besides dips you can also try some DB Bench if your problem is fear of getting stuck with the bar in the chest. They are easier to bail out if needed and are great work due to all the extra stabilization necessary.

<div>
(Stefan @ Jul. 08 2008,1:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've injured myself quite a few times doing squats and deadlifts. I know its due to faulty technique so I've stopped doing them altogether.</div>
It is easy enough to injure yourself with squats and deadlifts if your are using faulty technique. However, the reasonable response is not to stop doing them altogether, but to learn proper technique.

There are no other exercises quite so effective for developing mass and strength as the squat and the deadlift. Everything else is secondary at best.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 09 2008,12:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Stefan @ Jul. 08 2008,1:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've injured myself quite a few times doing squats and deadlifts. I know its due to faulty technique so I've stopped doing them altogether.</div>
It is easy enough to injure yourself with squats and deadlifts if your are using faulty technique. However, the reasonable response is not to stop doing them altogether, but to learn proper technique.

There are no other exercises quite so effective for developing mass and strength as the squat and the deadlift. Everything else is secondary at best.</div>
Sure, I'm going to learn the proper technique once the opportunity arises, but right now, I have to stick to what I know...

Back