using hst for strength

mushys

This is probably an old question but I will ask...

could one use the HST method for strength, but using a lower set of reps.

EG 2 weeks at 10, 2 weeks at 6, 4 weeks at 3.

Is this less valuable than a 5x5 approach?

I think one of the big questions in training is the use of supplemental exercises. On a 5x5 or a korte 3x3 the supplemental exercises are not very represented, but using a HST programme could allow one to use Good mornings, leg press, front squats, chins etc etc every session.

I am not saying it is better or worse than sticking mainly to the classic lifts.

You'll gain plenty of strength by doing the normal HST routine. I have found max stim at the end of the cycle gives an extra strength boost too. If someone had told me that I would be lifting the weight I am now two years ago, I would have told them they were smoking crack.

Yea, Clustering/Max Stim duz it.
cool.gif
My last cycle took over 4 months and partially I worked with my RM2. I had the best strenght gains ever.

I actually do think something that looks like the 5's on HST, on paper at least, would work pretty well for strength.

In a way, it's already sort of like the stuff Pavel is talking about, frequent, heavy-ish, but submaximal. You could theoretically keep shooting for 5 RM's every two weeks or so, back cycling over and over again to temper out the fatigue you're generating with the heavier weights.

Note: this would work better on a limited set of lifts, but I have given thought to this exact idea before as a way of, for example, extending out 5 RM's in the 5 x 5 style routine.

Back