The Deadlift

Joe G

I've seen videos of guys deadlifting in competition and when they do the one rep they squat down to the ground before they pull the weight up off the ground. When performing Semi-Stiff legged Deadlifts or Romanian Dead lifts for reps you generally don't squat down to the floor every rep right?

This is my question:

Do guys squat down to Deadlift because it is easier to get the weight up or because the rules in competition make them do that? And if it is because it makes it easier, does it only make the first rep easier because you have to get it off the ground inititally?

Joe G

Joe

I think the deadlift was invented by the DEVIL himself.
laugh.gif

I think the guys squat because it is somewhat easier on your back, when you taking serious poundage if you don't squat enough you'll know all about it the next day!
laugh.gif

But hey...Aaron seems to be more of a fan of weighlifting or powerlifting...so maybe he can induce some better reasoning!

A full rep would be start at the standing postion, drop down and grab the bar, bring it up, lower it, and then go back to the starting postion. A lot of people go down for the weight once and just grab it and keep it in their hands for however many reps they want to do. Doing full rep deadlifts is a very intense workout.

I do full rep deadlifts too, i thought that was the only way to do them?

I mean, it would be really hard to keep lowering it just an inch from the floor and bringing it back up, especially during the heavy weights. That second or so that it's on the ground is like a break for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I actually think Its easier to not do full rep deads. This is why I do full rep deads.

Yep, my experience with deads too. Not bringing it down to the ground is a little easier.

Of course, if the biggest plate on your bar is the 25lbs kind (say you stacked 3 or 4 25-pound plates on either side, plus a few more smaller weight plates), doing a full rep is a bit of a problem because that makes the bar too low (I hate it when it's like that; can't help it, I'm at home and since I keep on changing plates during my workout, I hate handling 50 pound plates). This is a non-issue with bigger plates or olympic plates as far as I know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Yes, latest scientific research has determined that the devil himself did invent the deadlift and told the romanian vampire Dracula about it, who in turn spread this evil across Europe and America
thumbs-up.gif
laugh.gif

JV

I see your humour is still on the go!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, latest scientific research has determined that the devil himself did invent the deadlift and told the romanian vampire Dracula about it, who in turn spread this evil across Europe and America

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Oct. 14 2005,5:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I actually think Its easier to not do full rep deads.  This is why I do full rep deads.
Yep, my experience with deads too. Not bringing it down to the ground is a little easier.
Of course, if the biggest plate on your bar is the 25lbs kind (say you stacked 3 or 4 25-pound plates on either side, plus a few more smaller weight plates), doing a full rep is a bit of a problem because that makes the bar too low (I hate it when it's like that; can't help it, I'm at home and since I keep on changing plates during my workout, I hate handling 50 pound plates). This is a non-issue with bigger plates or olympic plates as far as I know.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Yes, latest scientific research has determined that the devil himself did invent the deadlift and told the romanian vampire Dracula about it, who in turn spread this evil across Europe and America
thumbs-up.gif

laugh.gif
Yes it's easier but which is more effective at muscle hypertropy? Would it be maintaining constant tension on the muscle (i.e. touch and go or just before touching the floor) or full rep deadlifts(i.e. the weight rests completely to the floor after each rep). Aaron F, anything to add here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goal220 @ Nov. 12 2005,5:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jvroig @ Oct. 14 2005,5:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I actually think Its easier to not do full rep deads. This is why I do full rep deads.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Yes, latest scientific research has determined that the devil himself did invent the deadlift and told the romanian vampire Dracula about it, who in turn spread this evil across Europe and America :thumbsup :laugh
Yes it's easier but which is more effective at muscle hypertropy? Would it be maintaining constant tension on the muscle (i.e. touch and go or just before touching the floor) or full rep deadlifts(i.e. the weight rests completely to the floor after each rep). Aaron F, anything to add here.
I can't imagine there'd be much of a difference when it comes to muscle growth. However, I find it's much easier to maintain proper form for each and every rep when I set the bar down between reps. Also, I find it difficult and awkward to try to control the negative portion of the deadlift, so I usually end up half controlling the descent and half just dropping it.

Whichever way you decide to do them, just make sure your form is good and don't get injured.

That's my $0.02

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joe G @ Oct. 14 2005,9:16)]I've seen videos of guys deadlifting in competition and when they do the one rep they squat down to the ground before they pull the weight up off the ground. When performing Semi-Stiff legged Deadlifts or Romanian Dead lifts for reps you generally don't squat down to the floor every rep right?
This is my question:
Do guys squat down to Deadlift because it is easier to get the weight up or because the rules in competition make them do that? And if it is because it makes it easier, does it only make the first rep easier because you have to get it off the ground inititally?
Joe G
doing a max single is a different kettle of fish to doing reps.

I always start from a deep squat to start my first deadlift when doing SLDL's. I find it much easier to pick up the weight while keeping proper from (especially the critical low back.)

I find it's easy to keep a strong arch in my back when I squat down and pick up the heavy weight, and after I stand up and straighten my legs, it's easy to keep the strong arch as I do my reps. But it's much harder to start the proper posture with legs nearly straight when the weight is on the ground. It's very tempting to lift with the back. In fact, it's very tempting to bend your back just bending down to reach the bar, which is already setting you up for trouble!

And when working very heavy, you simply have to start down. Starting with the legs straight means the quad muscles can't be used to lift; the only primary muscles stretched and ready to go are the hams and gluts, but the hams are stretched to their limit, and you have your upper body at a right angle to the legs, which is the point of greatest mechanical disadvantage for the hams. You'll generate the strongest pull when the strongest muscles are all available for work.

Back