Systems and Methods I have Used by Bob Peoples

mikeynov

Super Moderator
Staff member
A rather interesting article by Peoples about the various methods of training he employed in his time.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008....ob.html

What I found particularly interesting is that, in a way, his training was HIT - a single set to failure using double progression. But instead of 8-12 reps, he used 3-5.

Pretty cool stuff.

I have been doing HIT for a few weeks and strength is up. HST is probably better for hypertrophy, but HIT seems to work excellently for strength (at least in the short-term). Its also less exhausting than 5x5 stuff, which works well too, but always burns me out.

After reading that article I realized my training is very similar, except, I am doing 2x/week and different exercise selection. But the one set aiming for 10 reps then progressing is what I have been doing exactly and its working so far. Strength is up almost every session.
Also the main reason I am doing one intense set, is that I am cutting so volume is not so important as tension.

Interesting. Very much one man's experience without really knowing what's going on behind the scenes but it definitely points to load as being key to his progress while managing fatigue as much as possible.

What I find most interesting with Bob's variation is using an HIT type system with only 5-10 or 3-5 reps; lower reps obviously equate with higher strain with more motor units firing from the get-go. Makes perfect sense.

One thing that I would like to know more about is this:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I also have used the rack with slots for leg pressing and press outs over head and lockouts over head.</div>
Anyone have any thoughts on how to to set this up? Does he mean he used a normal rack and added some rods to it somehow to make slots a bit like a Smith machine? I need to get something like this sorted for my rack.

Could this be the &quot;sliding squat rack&quot;  
rock.gif

or this?

TDM: That's a great pic of Sergio with a simple yet effective idea of using the base plate to hold the squat stands in place.

Can't figure out how the weight is being held in a slot for the wooden leg press rack idea?

Back