Strength standards

My all time best lifts at a bodyweight of ~167 (using 165 as the category as its the closet) in PL competition-passing form:

Bench - between advanced and elite
Squat - advanced
deadlift - between advanced and elite
clean - never really performed them
press - between advanced and elite

<div>
(liegelord @ Oct. 07 2006,23:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Before my last SD I rowed 250 3x5 and should beat that a week from Monday. You're probably right about the big benchers having problems with their shoulders.

I know a guy who benches 315 for sets and can't row within a 100 pounds of his bench. I think most guys bench more than they row because they train the bench more. I know leverage plays a part, but I've also noticed most guys dip more than they bench.

And despite my OH press being dreadful, I can press more than guys who can outbench me by 50+ pounds. Too much focus on benchs and curls.</div>
Re:&quot; the big benchers having problems with shoulder&quot;, my should prob's came from my younger days of behind the neck pulls &amp; press's. I always had good form on bench &amp; warmed up properly &amp; took off time when needed.

In regard to guys that bench a lot &amp; can't row...well, I'm a (the) poster child for that scenario. I do 350 on flat bench for 3 sets of 5 &amp; can't get anywhere near that in rows. I had always used row machines etc... to accomplish that motion, hence never excelled at it. OH press is good (3x 230x5) for me as most all pressing/pushing movements, its the pulling motions that have give me troubles.

O

the body should always be stronger benching than rowing. you will just be in a greater mechanical position for benching.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 09 2006,03:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the body should always be stronger benching than rowing.  you will just be in a greater mechanical position for benching.</div>
Also won't the pecs just always be a bigger, more well developed muscles than the upper-back muscles?

Assume of course that you tain them both the same, not going nuts on the back and neglecting the chest...

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 09 2006,03:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the body should always be stronger benching than rowing. you will just be in a greater mechanical position for benching.</div>
So what would you say is the issue then? Lack of training? Improper technique?

press advanced-elite
bench advanced-elite
squat intermediate
dead advanced-elite
clean no idea.

need to work on my squats
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 09 2006,08:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 09 2006,03:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the body should always be stronger benching than rowing.  you will just be in a greater mechanical position for benching.</div>
So what would you say is the issue then?  Lack of training?  Improper technique?</div>
im sure you train hard and judging from your avy you have a strong back.i think it comes down to how regular and how much effort you put into an exercise,but genetic factors are important when it comes to strength on certain exercises.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 10 2006,02:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 09 2006,03:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the body should always be stronger benching than rowing. you will just be in a greater mechanical position for benching.</div>
So what would you say is the issue then? Lack of training? Improper technique?</div>
A bit from column A, a bit from Column B and maybe some of Column C

If I use the 1-rep calculator to predict my 1RMs from my 5RMs I end up with figures that are very close to advanced for all the lifts, barring cleans which I don't do yet.

I don't believe the 1-rep calculator one little bit.
rock.gif

Do any of you have actual 1-rep max figures that you can compare to the predicted values? I'm pretty certain that my true 1RMs are not that much more than my 5RMs as I never train for max lifts. A 400lb deadlift for 5 reps, for example, equates with a 450lb 1RM according to the calculator. I'm almost certain I couldn't even lift that off the floor an inch! Perhaps I should give it a go?
biggrin.gif

OneRepMax

@lol

i have used the calculator and as ive tested my 1 rep maxs before i can say that the deadlift you mentioned seems to fit.

i did 4 reps @ 440lbs  and managed 1 rep @485 so the calc shouldnt be too far off.

Icars: interesting. I might give 450 a go at the end of my cycle.

I am advanced for bench 0r just shy of it --- But since I don't do real squats (do to lowerback issues) I do hacy squats.

Does any one know the ratio of hacky squat wieghts to real free squat weights??)

for expample --> 450lbs hacky squate = 350 real squats?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?

Oh and by the way impressive results posted by you guys.

Bob

I use a different calculator, but its close to the one listed above. I think they are more accurate in the lower rep ranges, 5rm to get 1rm , not a 12-15 rm to get a 1rm.
I have been doing 350x5 on the bench &amp; have been wanting to see my 1rm. Recently the calculator gave me an estimated 1rm of 390. So I tried 390 and got it without too much trouble, so perhaps I could have done 5-10 lbs more...I may try again next week?
rock.gif
?
What I liked about the estimate is it made me feel like I &quot;should&quot; get it, so it didn't really in my mind feel like it was a number pulled out of the air.

Mr O, 390 is heeooge! I take my hat off to you Sir. 400 is what I'm deadlifting and it feels  $#@%*&amp; heavy!
cool.gif

How much did the two calculators differ by?

LOL,
Well they are closer than I thought, .2 lbs difference.
biggrin.gif

Here is the one I use CALC
I didn't know about the ExRx until a few days ago.
I wish I had a good dead lift, but never got to it in my younger years. I don't know at 45 yr if I should even try to build that lift, don't want to chance hurting my back
sad.gif

Wow, according to omega's calc, my 1RM for full ROM squats is 466. It's actually about 405-410. The deadlift seems close though.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 10 2006,06:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I use the 1-rep calculator to predict my 1RMs from my 5RMs I end up with figures that are very close to advanced for all the lifts, barring cleans which I don't do yet.</div>
In every calculator and chart I've used, the estimates for 1 rm are always around 2-3%more than what I can do for every exercise except the deadlift.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 10 2006,11:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A 400lb deadlift for 5 reps, for example, equates with a 450lb 1RM according to the calculator. I'm almost certain I couldn't even lift that off the floor an inch! Perhaps I should give it a go?  
biggrin.gif

OneRepMax</div>
Assuming that you put the bar down between reps would it be unfair to use the calculator for deads? For example with a bench you unrack it, do 5 reps and then re-rack it. But with the deads you're essentially re-rack the bar between reps so the diference between your 1 rm and 5rm will be less...especially if you rest in between each rep like me!

Cheers

Rob

Back