Strength standards

What rep max are these? If they are 5 RM, then I'm below novice on every lift except except for press. If they mean military press, then I'm between novice and intermediate.

<div>
(etothepii @ Oct. 05 2006,08:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What rep max are these? If they are 5 RM, then I'm below novice on every lift except except for press. If they mean military press, then I'm between novice and intermediate.</div>
This is for your 1RM.
Go here for more info LIFTING STANDARDS
You can also use their 1RM CALCULATOR
to estimate your 1RM based on your 5 RM.
Well, I at least meet the Elite in PRESSING and well surpass the Elite in BENCHING. As for the others...I have more work to do to reach that level. I now know where I suck &amp; where I don't...useful I hope.

Very interesting and very pleasing.  
cool.gif
Are these figures really a good guage though as I am between intermediate and advanced for all my lifts after only a year of lifting (well, almost 11 months with HST plus an initial month and a bit of HIT)? I am comparing my 5RM loads too so I would be even closer to advanced if I used my true 1RM figures, just don't know what they are and don't want to rely on the 1RM calculator.

The only lift I haven't been doing is the Power Clean. I have always seen guys pretty much dropping the weight back to earth when doing these which I think would totally freak out the gym owner (and smash the floor). Do any of you guys do them and just lower the weight back down carefully? I'm not sure that would be in the spirit of the lift!  
biggrin.gif

Hey, some of you guys must be super-elite according to these figures!

Oh, the squat figures seem to refer to parallel rather than ATG, full-squats. My 'guesstimate' is that you can squat around 15-20% more doing a parallel squat than a full squat. Anyone have any actual comparative data?

<div>
(Omega_man @ Oct. 05 2006,11:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(etothepii @ Oct. 05 2006,08:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What rep max are these? If they are 5 RM, then I'm below novice on every lift except except for press. If they mean military press, then I'm between novice and intermediate.</div>
This is for your 1RM.
Go here for more info LIFTING STANDARDS
You can also use their 1RM CALCULATOR
to estimate your 1RM based on your 5 RM.
Well, I at least meet the Elite in PRESSING and well surpass the Elite in benching. As for the others...I have more work to do to reach that level. I know where I suck &amp; where I don't...useful I hope.</div>
OK, that puts me right about at intemediate for everything, except DL. I need to get to work on that. Right now, it is equal to my squat (ATG squat, by the way). I think my DL issue is mental. I just neeed to get more iron on the bar and do it.

Wait, that sounds dangerous. I am working my way up in the DL with 2.5% increments each week. (Rippetoe Strength training).

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 05 2006,08:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's always nice to have a reminder that I suck at benching.</div>
I suck at both presses, though I am listed at intermediate.

I am also between intermediate and advanced for all the lifts except clean.

It is always nice to have a reminder that I suck at pressing...bbut not for much longer
cool.gif

Not such a sucker, but have work to do!
wink.gif

Bench - Advanced
Squats - Beyond Elite but not ATG, that is between Intermediate and Advanced.
Deads - Bewteen Int and advanced
Press - ah...this one is beyond Elite

I think it is nice to have standards!
smile.gif

Advanced(!) but intermediate on deads, never did a clean (back injury) and I assume the press is the overhead press, regular grip?

Bench: Slightly above Intermediate
Press: Slightly above Intermediate
Squat: Slightly above Novice (A2G)
Deadlift: Slightly under Novice

Heh... All my previous uneducated weight lifting was nearly all upper body and I guess it shows
smile.gif

Nice to see I'm not the only one who is weak at bench compared to squat/deads. I don't clean so who knows, though soon I will be able to start.

Now if they had included bentover rows in there instead of bench, I'd be great.

The weight classes were kinda wide. I weigh 205-209, so...I went with the 198, since it was closer. I lose some of my braggin' rights.
I was still happy with my &quot;class&quot;, but I thought I had a &quot;girls&quot; bench. Apparently not.

Also, this chart gives us new goals that are actually reasonable IMO, in our weaker movements. Thanx for posting it.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 07 2006,08:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice to see I'm not the only one who is weak at bench compared to squat/deads. I don't clean so who knows, though soon I will be able to start.

Now if they had included bentover rows in there instead of bench, I'd be great.</div>
Appreciate you noticing Totentanz.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, my bent row is also better than my bench, that would be advanced.

What is you BW and what are you benching? As of last night I'm 218 and benched 225 3x5, 1x4, 1x3. I rowed 240 3x5.

I'm about 215 or so, depending on the day, and was just finally benching 210 for sets of 5. I rowed 250 for a set of 5 last week when I was testing maxes... I don't know if I could do multiple sets of that yet though. So looks like we are fairly similar in that regard.
You know I've been told that guys should normally have a stronger bench than row, and that it is quite uncommon to have a better row than bench? But apparently people with a stronger back than chest us are immune to those rotator cuff and other shoulder problems that guys get when their pecs overpower their back.

Before my last SD I rowed 250 3x5 and should beat that a week from Monday. You're probably right about the big benchers having problems with their shoulders.

I know a guy who benches 315 for sets and can't row within a 100 pounds of his bench. I think most guys bench more than they row because they train the bench more. I know leverage plays a part, but I've also noticed most guys dip more than they bench.

And despite my OH press being dreadful, I can press more than guys who can outbench me by 50+ pounds. Too much focus on benchs and curls.

Back