SST and Cutting - Good Idea?

XFatMan

I've been cutting since I started training with weights and I will continue cutting for quite some time, I'm afraid. However, I'm interested in doing an SST cycle. To be specific, I found this program very interesting. Does SST and cutting work? What are your idea / experience / advice?

First off XFatMan, I love the story you have going on here going from an estimated 40% bodyfat to 20% and beyond. Do you have pictures because that would be a great testament! I hope you stay around here as an active poster at the HST forums!

In regards to SST and cutting, ask yourself this question: what determines me losing weight ~ specifically adipose tissue (fat)? Diet - Calorie Deficit

Second question: What prevents me from losing muscle in this process? Diet - High Protein, Not too much of a caloric deficit AND Training: some type of weight lifting

The type of weight lifting wanted can be almost any training program, but you must have weights heavy enough to cause hypertrophy. A strength based program is suited to build muscles. IMO, it is a-okay to have an SST program while cutting.

I have been cutting for some time, and I have used 5x5 as an SST routine while cutting with good results.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 17 2008,15:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">First off XFatMan, I love the story you have going on here going from an estimated 40% bodyfat to 20% and beyond. Do you have pictures because that would be a great testament! I hope you stay around here as an active poster at the HST forums!

In regards to SST and cutting, ask yourself this question: what determines me losing weight ~ specifically adipose tissue (fat)? Diet - Calorie Deficit

Second question: What prevents me from losing muscle in this process? Diet - High Protein, Not too much of a caloric deficit AND Training: some type of weight lifting

The type of weight lifting wanted can be almost any training program, but you must have weights heavy enough to cause hypertrophy. A strength based program is suited to build muscles. IMO, it is a-okay to have an SST program while cutting.

I have been cutting for some time, and I have used 5x5 as an SST routine while cutting with good results.</div>
Thanks colby2152 for your reply. I think I’ll start such a cycle. My thought was that if an SST cycle increases the 1 RM considerably, then it must do something good to my body in terms of gaining strength and perhaps a bit mass. I’ll also start a training log so I can correct things early on. I’m pretty sure I’m not on spot with everything.

Actually, my body fat percentage was not estimated. It was measured using hydrostatic weighing at a nearby university. The exact body fat percentage was 42.27% at the time. It’s not a nice experience, and it’s pretty lengthy as well. On top of that, it had to be repeated several times and took almost the entire day.

I have only one traditional photograph from that time. Unfortunately, I don’t have a scanner, so I won’t be able to post that picture right now. I’ll take it to a shop here. Let’s see if I can upload it then.

I never went anything lower than slightly under 18%. I don’t even remember having been below that as an adolescent. But I think it’s never too late.

It is never too late to get into shape and revitalize your health! Props to your very own &quot;Road to 10%&quot;!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(XFatMan @ Jan. 17 2008,13:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Does SST and cutting work? What are your idea / experience / advice?</div>
I have not taken the time to review thoroughly the link you have provided. However, it does seem to draw from Korte's 3x3 strength program.

I used Korte's program while cutting last autumn (you can see my log below). I managed to lose body fat and gain strength at the same time.

Give it a go! Just keep your protein up to about a gram per pound of body weight and your lifts heavy.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jan. 17 2008,19:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have not taken the time to review thoroughly the link you have provided. However, it does seem to draw from Korte's 3x3 strength program.

I used Korte's program while cutting last autumn (you can see my log below). I managed to lose body fat and gain strength at the same time.

Give it a go! Just keep your protein up to about a gram per pound of body weight and your lifts heavy.</div>
My inspiration to start an SST cycle actually comes from your journal, TunnelRat. Your dissatisfaction how the Korte program neglects the upper body prompted me to search for a program with more lifts. The Dan Alexander program has four lifts; Flat Bench Barbell Press, Barbell Squat, Barbell Deadlift, and Barbell Overhead Press. I’m by no means advanced – not even intermediate in my opinion although I have been lifting for over eighteen months now. Since I’m more interested in cutting first, I actually don’t care much for isolation work and think that those four lifts are quite enough for me.

Similar to the Korte program, it starts with 8 sets of 5 – 6 repetitions depending on the exercise at 58% of you 58%. I was curious and did two sets of all lifts with the starting weight must say that I doubt I will be able to do all 8 sets with the given number of repetitions. In that case, what should I do: take a deep breath and continue or rest and just make sure I get all repetitions?

<div>
(XFatMan @ Jan. 18 2008,05:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">must say that I doubt I will be able to do all 8 sets with the given number of repetitions. In that case, what should I do: take a deep breath and continue or rest and just make sure I get all repetitions?</div>
My recommendation (and keep in mind that I am not an experienced lifter) would be to skip all the &quot;8 sets of five&quot; stuff and just do the total number of reps using Max-Stim. That's how I managed to struggle through the Korte program.

Max-Stim allows a much greater control of fatigue management. The goal, after all, is to get the reps done, not to wear yourself out. You'll be plenty tired anyhow; there's no point in making it any worse than it has to be.

Go for it! The reward is a noticeable increase in lifting strength.

Back