So, how strong are you?

Mostly good; some greats. Squats still just "decent". Not IMO though. Haven't been doing them or bench very long; was surprised to see a good rating for bench. He may have been a little easy there.

I am between decent and good...mostly just decent. How depressing.
sad.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 10 2007,18:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Check it out...personally, I'm in the good to excellent range on my biggies (squat, dead, bench), although I don't know anyone that can bench a full 2x their bodyweight in bench....except maybe Jonesy!

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1563264</div>
According to that chart, I am far beyond great in every lift they list, except the push-ups and elbow plank. I don't know how many pushups I can do, and don't even know what an elbow plank is.

As far as the benching thing goes, I have never even come close to benching 2x my bodyweight, and am.....yeah, I'm positive I'll never be able to do that.

Jonesy wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As far as the benching thing goes, I have never even come close to benching 2x my bodyweight, and am.....yeah, I'm positive I'll never be able to do that.</div>

I figured if there was one cat who could do 2x their weight in bench, it was you.

Does anyone know what an elbow plank is?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">and don't even know what an elbow plank is. </div>

Ha! And I though I was just dumb...! Nope, no idea here either!
rock.gif

They have a picture of an elbow plank at the bottom of that web page.  Basically you get into push-up position and then drop down onto your elbows and just hold that position as long as possible.

It looks like this.....
image011.jpg

<div>
(Bulldog @ May 11 2007,09:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
hmmm....looks like something richard simmons might teach

anyway, I'm sure I could do that for a few seconds, as long as you put a plate of beef in front of me so I stay focused

I hear ya, I'd probably get bored before I got tired with the elbow planks. I am pretty much all decent except overhead press where I just barely make it into the good range. Deads are not too far from good. I could probably do 60 pushups. I could probably do 40 dips if I dont dip to the shoulder.

Good lord, I knew I was weak, but damn. I'm no where near decent on anything except for military press. I really don't have strong shoulders and makes me think that number is too low.
rock.gif

I can do 8 chins maybe and I'm getting close to decent on that.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 11 2007,07:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Jonesy wrote:

Does anyone know what an elbow plank is?</div>
Yeah, we used to do elbow planks in Infantry Officer Candidate School. We had other names for them -- none of which are printable here...

We didn't get to use our forearms, rather we had to put all of our weight on our elbows. I don't know how long we had to maintain that position, but it was a heckuva lot longer than a coupla minutes!

The How Strong Are You Chart lists me as indecent...

It is encouraging to note that both Pee Wee Herman and an NFL Offensive Tackle have to be able to press 105 lbs...
rock.gif

<div>
(Bulldog @ May 11 2007,09:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">They have a picture of an elbow plank at the bottom of that web page.  Basically you get into push-up position and then drop down onto your elbows and just hold that position as long as possible.

It looks like this.....
image011.jpg
</div>
Maybe you or tunnel rat knows, but how is this movement a measure of strength? I must be missing something, cuz I'm just not gettin' it!
laugh.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 11 2007,17:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how is this movement a measure of strength? I must be missing something, cuz I'm just not gettin' it!</div>
I think it is some sort of measure of &quot;Core&quot; strength... [rolls eyes...].

After a few minutes of staring at your thumbs, your knees and tummy begin to tremble.

It's harder than it looks, but then again, most things are...

I used to do these 'elbow planks' as follows;

1 minute in position pictured.
30 seconds with one arm off the floor.
30 seconds with opposite arm off the floor.
30 seconds with one leg off the floor
30 seconds with other leg off the floor
30 seconds one arm and opposite leg off the floor
30 seconds with other arm and opposite leg off the floor

Took time to build up to this and by the end, I was proper knackered......not sure what benefit it had though
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

And, before some clever dick asks, no...I wasn't flying by the end of it
tounge.gif

Back