Sample Workout

Gesar

Hi,

First time posting and trying to give HST a try. I'm a newbie. 4 months lifting..Whole body 3 times a week. I read a lot about hst but cause english is my second language I have couple of questions.

1) This week I'm going to test my max weights. Do I have to rest a week before I start the first cycle?

2) What about warm up? for example for Squat - 2 x 15. Should I do few warm up reps? or one full set?

Also can anybody please provide a sample workout based mostly on compound exercises? I see the sample in the hst site but I think there are too many exercises. May be shorter version anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Gesar,

Yea If your going to test your maxes you will have to wait another 9-12 days in order to start your cycle. This as you know from reading the cycle is the SD (strategic deconditioning).

As for the squats you might want to do 2 warm up sets when you get to the heavier weights during the 5 rep scheme. The warm ups arent as important during the 15s though because the weights should already be relatively light.

As for a routine with compounds. Just throw something together with Incline Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, and Chins. I like balance with isoloation exercises and compounds in my routine. I think we all know that JVROIG is an iso hater and is big on the compounds LOL
happy.gif
. And I'm sure he will be on later if hes not on now to send you a nice routine comprised of compound movements.

Joe G

Here is a great web article that shows the percentage of muscle recruitment for each excersice. This is a great way to find compound movements.
Just pick the exercise(s) for each body part that uses highest percentage of muscle recruitment and incorporate them into your system

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mark4.htm

Here are the compounds I use:

Chest - Dips, Incline Bench BB for the 15s and 10s, start alternating with DB in the 5s

Back - Barbell Rows, T-Bar Rows, Wide Grip Chins

Legs - Deadlifts, leg press

I do 6x per week so I alternate each for 3x per week

You could do one set of each of 2 exercises if you wanted more variety in a 3x per week program, or you could alternate from day to day, so you'd use each exercise 3x in any given 2 week block.

***SD properly. 12 days is prob. the minimum, the longer you SD the better your lean gains will be.

squats
deadlifts
db bench..slight incline
chins or pulldowns
shoulder press
low pulley rows
dips
:D

Back