Rippetoe's books

DairyGuy

Just a quick question. I've been reading alot of good things about Mark Rippetoe's books "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programming". Which one should I order first?

depends on your experience. SS covers the squat, bench press, deadlift, standing press, & power clean in detail, is well-reviewed & has a nice beginner's routine, but I already have McRobert's book on technique so I D/N bother. PP is very good, though I feel it could have used more specific examples of intermediate routines.

Rippetoe was also supposed to have a new book (Basic Barbell Training?) out last month. his books are good, no frills, and succinct.

I would get Starting Strength, since that one offers good information regarding the lifts and enough info to get you started on your weight-lifting career. Knowing what I know now, I would not have ordered Practical Programming.

Rippetoe's books are commendable because they contain what you need to know without any frills and sans the "secrets of Soviet muscle men" marketing nonsense of a certain kettlebell-hoisting huckster.

However, his books aren't the divine revelation some folks make them out to be. All the information in the books is available elsewhere. The books simply save you the effort of wading through all the bachelor's of science floating about.

However, the resell values are high for these books. So, buy and sell is my advice if you're a penny-roller like me.

And on a similar note, anyone considering buying the EDT book (why anyone on an HST would do so, I am not quite sure) would be better served simply reading the write-ups on T-Nation (unless you like copious pictures).

Back