Rippetoe Startuing strength

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
I

imported_drpierredebs

Here are some funny but true quotes from Rippetoes Book:

1. "Physical strength is the most important thing in life. This is true whether we want it to be or not. ...............A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong. This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence. It is instructive to see what happens to these very people as their squat strength goes up." p6

" The relatively recent innovation known as the Division of Labor is not so remote that our genetic composition has had time to adapt again. Since most of us now are freed from the necessity of personally obtaining our subsistence, physical activity is regarded as optional. Indeed it is, from the standpoint of immediate necessity, but the reality of millions of years of adaptation to a ruggedly physical existence will not go away just because desks were invented."

3. " It is hard to overstate the strength of a man with a 800+ lb
deadlift."

4. " If your gym is one of those which prohibits the use of chalk for cleanliness reasons or whatever, it is time to rethink ones priorities.!

5. "Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy" -Robert Heinlein

Good quotes, I still cant get this book. I cant get it on amazon or ebay or order it from the supplier, Iv sent Mark an email explaining that I live in Scotland, he hasn't replied. Damn him!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(style @ Sep. 17 2006,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good quotes, I still cant get this book. I cant get it on amazon or ebay or order it from the supplier, Iv sent Mark an email explaining that I live in Scotland, he hasn't replied. Damn him!  
biggrin.gif
</div>
You can get it through amazon.com.

If you have an amazon.co.uk account all your details will be on amazon.com aswell.

I live in England and it took mine two weeks to arrive (the estimated time is four weeks).

Cost £24 or £26 total.

The problem with CoC in Germany is they dont have a direct way of paying so you have to use a bank transfer and with the postage it works out more expensive than getting it from the states!

Youmight want to wait as Practical Periodization is also coming out soon I believe. Might do a package deal.

i like these qoutes. i think qoutes 2 thru 5 are good ones but #1 is a very keen observation many (espec. outside of lifting) wouldnt understand.

i guess thats why ive always been impressed by folks who take a well rounded &quot;renaissance&quot; approach to life. they can be successful, w/o, read, invest, travel etc. etc. without having to go everywhere in a tank top telling everyone about their job and portfolio all while carrying around a copy vonnegut.

good stuff

Great quotes. I must get that book. I'm just reading &quot;Practical Programming for Strength Training&quot; by Rippetoe &amp; Kilgore. It's great. Only took a week a half to arrive on my doorstep in the UK. Great dollar to pound exchange rate right now so having books sent over is not expensive at all (less than a fiver). Total cost inc. delivery around £12.50 ($24.45).

Here's where I got it:

Aasgaard

Going to order Starting Strength now.

Hey bluejacket: I've never read any of Vonnegut. I've heard of several of the titles though. Any good?

Edit: Great! Starting Strength is winging it's way to me now.

Edit2: It's here and it's a great read. Highly recommended.

I have not read any &quot;Strength&quot; training books. If I were to buy a book on strength training would you recommend &quot;Starting Strength&quot; for my first book? If not what book would be the best choice for a frist read on strength training?

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 16 2007,15:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have not read any &quot;Strength&quot; training books.  If I were to buy a book on strength training would you recommend &quot;Starting Strength&quot; for my first book?  If not what book would be the best choice for a frist read on strength training?</div>
Starting Strength is a great first book. Lots of good information on proper form and execution of the 5 big lifts and other great info, coaching tips, etc.

I just finished reading Practical Programming....WOW what a great book!!!!!

Hi guys,

For those of you that have read both, which book would you recommend if you could only have one?

Cheers

Rob

Rob, 'Starting Strength' is just that - a great guide to take you through the basics of the most useful compounds and to make sure you are lifting correctly. There are lots of tips to help with technique and equipment.

'Practical Programming' takes a more in-depth look at training programmes for novices, intermediates, advanced and elite lifters along with some physiology, diet advice and exercise selection guidance.

If you are really happy with your lifting techniques then go for PP. Otherwise, go for SS.

JFYI, PP is about an A5 sized book whereas SS is almost A4.

Cheers for that Lol, I've ordered ss and will see how I get on with that for starters.

I'll be down in Plymouth to borrow the other one soon!

Cheers

Rob

<div>
(robefc @ Feb. 11 2007,06:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'll be down in Plymouth to borrow the other one soon!
</div>
Excellent!
biggrin.gif

Read SS first a few times, let the knowledge soak into your brain.
After a while, you WILL realize that you NEED to read PP.

I just ordered a copy of &quot;Starting Strength&quot; and it should be here in about a week. I'm looking forward to fine tuning my lifting form.

Just arrived! I spent the last few hours absorbed by the book. I now realize why I have such a resistance to ATG squats.....my hip flexibility is terrible. I can barely go below parallel in good form with just the bar! I feel an enormous strain/stretch in the hip area.

I guess I should be doing yoga with my wife instead of typing on the internet so much!
tounge.gif

Anyway...great book.

I just received my copy tonight. I'll probably start reading tomorrow night. I'm anxious to improve my form on squats and dead lifts.

Back