Over-developed chest under developed arms

tanker12

first off I love this program-just started a month ago and so far so good....anyways wondering if the experts have any advice for getting me im better proportion. I have a big chest but shoulders and arms are lacking. I only do incline now for chest and will start military next cycle but really need advice on how to better balance my upper body. A big chest runs in the family but I need to be more symetrical- any thoughts?

I think this question is better posed in the hypertrophy specific thread as opposed to the strength specific....more people will see it there
smile.gif

Just my personal opinion, but I've all but dropped iso exercises for the arms, and while they are smaller than they were when I weighed close to 190, they look much bigger & fuller. They get all the stim they need from deads, pullups, benches, dips, etc.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 03 2007,09:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think this question is better posed in the hypertrophy specific thread as opposed to the strength specific....more people will see it there
smile.gif

Just my personal opinion, but I've all but dropped iso exercises for the arms, and while they are smaller than they were when I weighed close to 190, they look much bigger &amp; fuller. They get all the stim they need from deads, pullups, benches, dips, etc.</div>
Ditto to:

Deads, Chins, Bench, Dips

I dropped isolations all together one year ago, and since then my arms have grown fairly quick. How quick? Quick enough for stretch marks!

a lot depends on how long youve been lifting (any style, not just HST) and if you would catagorize that lifting as serious (rarely missed a w/o, decent diet etc).

ideally when just begining lifting we should all just concentrate on the main compounds (squat, bench, deadl, press, dip, chins) until strength and size has dramatically improved. only then can you accurately determine which (if any) body parts need added work. usually we all have one area or another that lags when only stimulated with compounds, whether it be arms, traps, delts, calves or whatever. this is also very unique to each individual so advice like &quot;just deadlift and your calves and traps will grow&quot; or &quot;chins will make your bi's explode&quot; may....or may not be true for you.

if you are new to lifting (1 year or under) then i would stick with the basic compounds as recommended and give yourself time to grow. in another year or so youll have a better feel for whether arms are a weak point or not.

good luck

If you really do have an overdeveloped chest and underdeveloped shoulders, then I would drop bench completely. Rather than bench, I would do only dips and only once a week. And on the other days when you would normally bench, do overhead presses of some sort instead, preferrably clean and press, push press or military press, or do two of one of those, alternated. You could also do something like high pulls or upright rows to get some extra shoulder work in. Just watch your shoulders for any pain in the joints.
How's your back and legs? You didn't mention. You can't ever have too thick of a back though, in my opinion...
Here is what I would do, if I were you:

Mon/Fri

Deadlifts
Weighted Chinups
Military Press
Skull Crushers or Pushdowns or some other tricep exercise

Wed

Squats
Weighted Dips
Bentover Rows
Push Press or Clean and Press

Each exercise should be done for 30 reps. So 2x15, 3x10, and 6x5. When you get into the 5s, you may have to drop volume, especially in the second week of 5s. Try to maintain at least 20 reps in each exercise during the later part of the 5s (i.e. 4 sets of 5) and you could even go into clustering or max-stim to keep your reps.

I'd only do this for a few cycles. It's possible that dips once a week will be enough for chest to make it grow for you, but I'm counting on it being enough for maintenance, so that you can get your other body parts to grow while keeping your chest where it is at. Of course, with your back and lats growing, your chest measurement will still go up, but it won't be from more pec size, hopefully.

You may need to insert more leg work though if your legs don't grow easily...

With possibly weaker and smaller arms (proportionally), it might not be a bad idea to add in rotator exersizes at the end of the workouts (EOD) to prevent injuries and add strength. When those arms and delts come up, they can overpower the rotator muscles and give you problems later you'll wish you didn't have.
Not to mention it's always had my bench weak.

Back