New Deadlift Max

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
Hey Blue that's great!

I tried a 200kg lift tonight as I'm getting to the point where I need to start back at 10s (I've been cutting since Jan). I broke the first few inches but then stalled out. Just don't think I'll get it this cycle. It amazed me how tired I got just from the effort it took to do that. My second attempt was worse than the first and then when I dropped back to 180kg I couldn't even do that! I ended up dropping back to 162kgs for 8 reps.

As a warm-up I did some squats: 5 reps with 60kg, 5 reps with 110kg
followed by deads: 5 reps with 60kg, 5 reps with 100kg, 3 reps with 140kg, 1 reps with 180kg.

I think next week I might try going straight to 200kg from 140kg. Just thought it would be too big a jump. Any thoughts? 180kg flew off the floor so I really thought I would get the 200! Oh well. I put it down to the cut and the fact that I only got three hours sleep the night before.

lol

my only thoughts are..........20kg is a big jump (imo) and thats a lot of warm up reps for my taste. i realize most of the warm ups are at light wgt but 20 reps at 50% or less then the wgt i was aiming for would just be distracting.

i wouldnt worry too much though, shooting for a big lift while cutting and low on sleep is a tall order. it'll be there soon, im sure.

good luck

Well, shoot, I might as well join the fun.

I got a new PR and my goal of this cycle last week with 130kg deadlift for 15 reps (3 sets of 5). That is nearly 20kg more than my max for the last cycle. My grip is holding me back though, I had to cluster cause my grip kept failing on me.

So, more than the PR, I am happy that I reached my goal of this cycle, yet I still have a little more left in me, so I am sure I will get another 5-10kg before finishing this cycle!

Lol, it could be your cut, no doubt, and I'll share two things I learned for going for a 1rm. (for me, I mean)
Not to do squats just before deads. The 5x5 taught me to put an exersize in the middle.
Not to start too heavy. (you didn't) Big jumps work, and you did that.
Not to do too many warmup exersizes. I believe this would differ from one individual to another. Your warmup would have been perfect for me.

I agree, I think most guys do too many warm-ups. For deadlifts, if I'm pulling 435x10 these are my warm-ups:

bar x 5-7
135x5
225x2
315x1
365x1

If I'm pulling over 450 then I'll also do 405x1. This has worked pretty well so far.

Aw, dangit, stop runnin' off on me! I'm jealous again!  -  405x5 still.

Last week I had to move the earth to do that last rep; this week all 5 went up pretty well, so that's a PB in a way. Going for 425 next week. At the least for 3.

Back