Missed my lift

<div>
(BAX67 @ Mar. 27 2008,17:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Very nice pic TR! I don't know about that Michigan Hoodie though! Are you from Toledo? If so whereabouts? I grew up near the Oak Openings area.</div>
Yup, I live in Toledo. The Oak Openings area is one of the pretties spots in northern Ohio.

I went to both The Ohio State University and the University of Michigan -- both as an undergraduate and as a law student. So I have both a UofM hoody and an OSU hoody. Which one I wear depends on which one is handy...

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Mar. 27 2008,18:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yup, I live in Toledo. The Oak Openings area is one of the pretties spots in northern Ohio.

I went to both The Ohio State University and the University of Michigan -- both as an undergraduate and as a law student. So I have both a UofM hoody and an OSU hoody. Which one I wear depends on which one is handy...</div>
I agree. So when Nov. comes around, is it Mich. or Ohio State. Hey, you haven't had a Tony Packos hot dog lately have you? Man, those things are good!

very photogenic. nice dead! and much respect to you for attempting a record back squat on the same day. nice work.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 28 2008,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Excellent picture TR despite the Michigan hooded sweatshirt!</div>
Michigan is not a bad school. It just doesn't have much of a football team anymore (though they managed to beat Penn State...
wink.gif
).

Monday, March 31, 2008

Deadlift 10x45, 2x5x95, 3x135, 3x185, 3x225, 1x275, 0x320, 0x315
Deadlift Speed Set 260x2x3 max-stim

Power Shrugs 2x5x230
Romanian Deadlift 2x5x205

Seated Single Calf Raise 1x10x80, 2x10x70
Standing Calf Raise 3x10x170

Bench Press (I’m back!!) 10x45

Today was a bit disappointing. I missed my 320 lb lift; then I missed a 315 lb lift. The 320 came up a few inches, but the 315 didn’t even budge. I figured that pretty much did me in for the heavy lifts, so I just went on with my assistance exercises.

Since this is the 9th week of my Ed Coan program, most of the assistance lifts are dropped. I only do the light triples on the deadlift, the P-shrugs, and the RDLs.

I was done early enough that I thought I might redeem the time more wisely with some calf work. Then I did my first bench presses (with an empty bar…
sad.gif
) in nearly six months.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Mar. 31 2008,17:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 28 2008,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Excellent picture TR despite the Michigan hooded sweatshirt!</div>
Michigan is not a bad school. It just doesn't have much of a football team anymore (though they managed to beat Penn State...
wink.gif
).</div>
My angst is all football related...

No doubt that missed 320 ruined your 315. Failed deadlift attempts can really hammer at your lower back and sap your energy, from my experience. Not only that, but it was only four days ago that you hit that 315, right? I usually can't do PRs that close together. I bet if you wait a week or so, you'll be able to get the 320.

Anyway, that is definitely some very solid RDL and power shrugging.

Deads are the only exersize I've seen that once a failure attempt is hit, the entire body goes into backup shock mode or something, even affecting the other lifts as well. It's just further proof of how effective deads are at exersizing the whole body.
I can fail a bench and go do some awesome rows or whatever, but after deads, I'm dead. Game over.
Since TR's 320 came up a few inches, I feel that his 315 woulda went up again, but it's like Tot said; too early for a PR.

Well, I'm not sure how the routine is programmed, and I readily admit that Ed Coan knows a ton more than I do... I just think that 315 itself is real heavy in relationship to TR's bodyweight, it's almost 2.5 times his bodyweight. That's getting very close to the advanced section on the exrx deadlift standards. In other words, that is some serious weight. When you are pushing major weight, it takes a little more recovery time for the CNS before you can comfortably hit a maximal attempt again.

Anyway, TR, what does your program have you doing for deadlifts for the next couple weeks? I know that 315 was the goal for the program and you said you were going in to just doing lighter triples this week, but I'm curious what's coming up. If you only do lighter triples for a couple weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if a max single attempt after that gets you quite a bit more than 320, like maybe 335 or 340. 340 would put you in the advanced class on the deadlift standards, which is quite a feat in itself.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Apr. 01 2008,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, I'm not sure how the routine is programmed, and I readily admit that Ed Coan knows a ton more than I do... I just think that 315 itself is real heavy in relationship to TR's bodyweight, it's almost 2.5 times his bodyweight. That's getting very close to the advanced section on the exrx deadlift standards. In other words, that is some serious weight. When you are pushing major weight, it takes a little more recovery time for the CNS before you can comfortably hit a maximal attempt again.

Anyway, TR, what does your program have you doing for deadlifts for the next couple weeks? I know that 315 was the goal for the program and you said you were going in to just doing lighter triples this week, but I'm curious what's coming up. If you only do lighter triples for a couple weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if a max single attempt after that gets you quite a bit more than 320, like maybe 335 or 340. 340 would put you in the advanced class on the deadlift standards, which is quite a feat in itself.</div>
I had originally set my goal for 325 lbs. That's 2.5 times my bodyweight. I figure that would be a pretty good lift. So my program is geared for that weight (in my heart, though, what I was really after was that picture with the three big wheels on each end of the bar...!
smile.gif
).

Ed Coan's program would have me do only one 320 lift this week and one 325 lift next week. I probably should have waited another several days before attempting the 320 lift since I did 315 twice last week. I think I may try the 320 again on Friday, or perhaps wait until Monday.

I'm still not sure that I'm doing my RDLs and P-shrugs correctly (wouldn't it be great to have a strength coach?). I don't feel much of a pull in my hamstrings like the instructions say I'm supposed to with the RDLs. The P-shrugs seem remarkably easy. I've been making a point to do the eccentric portion very slowly -- sort of like doing negatives.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Deadlift 10x45, 2x5x95, 5x135, 3x185, 3x225, 1x275, 1x320
Deadlift Speed Set 260x2x3 max-stim

Power Shrugs 2x5x230
Romanian Deadlift 2x5x205

Seated Single Calf Raise 3x10x70
Standing Calf Raise 3x10x180

Bench Press 10x45, 5x65, 5x75, 5x85, 5x75, 5x65

I got my 320!!
The same bar that was stuck in the superglue on Monday came up easy today. Oh, my knees wobbled a bit, but there is hard and there is easy, and this was easy. I’m looking forward to getting 325 lbs next week. That’ll be 2.5 times my bodyweight.

For whatever reason, I’ve been having a hard time with my calf raises. I tried the seated single leg raises with 75 lbs, but had to stop and reduce the weight to 70 lbs. Even so, I was not pleased with my form and ROM.

It was nice to do bench presses again. I didn’t push it, but just did a few light sets (that didn’t seem all that light…). Plus I did a bunch of deltoid raises – front, rear, side, and scapular – with a couple of the pink dumbbells.

Hey way to go TR!! That's an awesome lift. If that was easy, 330 or 335 may be a possibility. Cheers man!

Way to go. You're definitely going to get 325 then. Are you going to try for more than that before you are done?

I've been to the gym a few times since I've posted last. Mainly I've done a bunch of isos for my bis and tris, but I've begun doing bench presses again: 5x65, 5x75, 5x85, 5x95, 5x85, 5x75, 5x65...  and so forth. I'm trying to take it pretty easy since I haven't done any benches for nearly six months.

I went in for my 325 lift last week and missed it. I got the bar off the floor a coupla inches, but that was it. That's gonna hafta do for this cycle. I've been at it for 11 weeks and it's time for a bit of SD. My elbows and shoulders are starting to complain.

I had an MRI done on Monday. Today the doctor said there was no need to do an EMG -- the MRI results were so bad there is no need for further testing.  Apparently my infraspinauts and suprapinatus are barely hanging on by a thread. There is a 4.5 cm gap in my rotator cuff and it's not clear that it can be fixed.  
sad.gif

But the good doctor said I can continue to workout, so long as I stick with the meat and potatoes stuff: chins, dips, bench, row, squats, and deads. Heck, what else could a man want...?

Sorry to hear about your MRI.  Good to see you can still hit the iron though, especially the good stuff!! As far as lifting goes, what are you planning on doing after your SD?

Congrats TR!
You said powershrugs were easy? NO WAY! Put some weight on there! P-shrugs are for lifting heavier, not to make it easier IMO. I've done 475 with them for reps, but keep it lower to keep form and lift height. For now. They're the only thing I use a belt for, and I have to strap for grip. I actually dread them a little. ...Naw, they're fun.

TR, I'm not sure if extra stretching will do anything, but watch that shoulder! It's good to see your doctor recommends compound exercises.
biggrin.gif

Back