Incoming newbie

akinu

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here. I would like to thank "buzz" for introducing HST and this forum to me.

I would like to copy/paste a description of my situation I wrote at another forum

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have been working out for 1 and a half years with unsatisfactory results, partly due to my lack of knowledge and also due to me stubborn genetics. As I don't have any person to ask for advice, I have been looking out to forums and net-related information. Months ago, I joined this forum and since, I have been reading quite enthusiastically.

The reason I couldn't get any result from my workouts was also related to my diet. I always eat healthy food, never ever junk, fast food, coke, I do not smoke and drink rarely. However, I didn't know how to balance my carb/protein/fat intake. I used to workout 3 times a week with 30 minutes fast walking at the end.

However, workouts rarely remain static and whenever I learned something new, I incorporated that into my workouts.

I am 24 y/o, 175cm height 73kg weight. I don't know my fat %.

About 2 months ago, I have developed a workout like this

Monday:

- Incl. bench press
- Dumbel chest press
- Chest flies
- Bar curl (biceps)
- Dumbel isolation curl (biceps)
- Reverse bar curl

All 4 sets 8 reps

Tuesday:

- Front shoulder bar press
- Rear shoulder bar press
- Dumbel shoulder press
- Tri-press
- Cable triceps extension

All 4 sets 8 reps

Wed:

HIIT (2 minutes walk at 6mph 2 minutes sprint at 12mph for 10 minutes, 2 minutes walk at 6mph 2minutes run at 9 minutes for the rest)

Thursday:

-Lateral pulldown (front)
-Lat. pulldown (rear)
-Cable row
- Bar curl (biceps)
- Dumbel isolation curl (biceps)
- Reverse bar curl

All 4 sets 8 reps

Friday: Legs

- Leg extension 4x15
- Reverse leg extension 4x15
- Calf raise 4x15
- Squats 5x30 (without weights)

Saturday: HIIT (same as Wednesday)

Sunday: Rest

I have also changed my workout time from the morning to 6pm, because I felt that I was eating too much throughout the day after the morning workouts. Also, I try to eat low fat carbs (flapjack bars, pasta..) before the workouts and a very large tuna salad or chicken/rice after the workout.

I really don't know how to progress from here.
</div>

Now, I have been reading the articles and the newbie FAQ. I will rest for 14 days after finding out my 15, 10 and 5 maxes. I intend to go by the book and start with 15/10/5 plan.

However I am stuck at two issues;

1- In my previous workout, I was doing the following;

Bench press
Incl bench press
Dumbel flies

Lat pull down (front)
Lat pull down (back)
Row

Military press(front)
military press (back)
Side raises
Shrugs

Bar curl (biceps)
Incline dumbel curl
Reverse grip bar curl

Triceps extension
Tri-press

Leg ext
Leg curl
Calf raise
squats

I know they are too much to bring into HST, but I cannot pick out any one of them as I feel they are essential. I need help leaving out some.

2) I have a hard time staying lean and the fat pad has always been an issue for me. That is why I do HIIT for 20 minutes on non-weightlifting days and 30 minutes jogging after weight training.

Then, everyday, I alternate between

1) about 3x100 half crunches (upper abs) and about 3x50 leg raises (lower abs)

2) 3x 40 oblique crunches and 3x20 dumbel deadlifts

Can I incorporate the HIIT, jogs and ab area work into the HST?

I have also attached 3 pics of my far-from perfect physique. I dont know whether I should lose the fat first, or go for hypertrophy. Or do both at the same time..

Many thanks

pic1
pic2
pic3

Your Bodyfat % doesn't look that high (ie. you don't have a gut or man-boobs) so I'd go for bulk, get to a size your happy with, or cut when your gut gets too big.

As to exercises, cut out all the little isos and stick with the big compounds.

Fausto's &quot;simplify and win&quot; post is a good one to start, it has lots of simple programs, the one I recommend is:

Squats/Deadliftss
Incline Bench/Chest Dips
Military Press/Upright Row (or Lat Raises)
Chin Ups/Bent Over Rows

You can alternate these every 2nd workout, because they work every muscle in the body but in different ways. You can also add SLDLs and arm isos (just 1 for bis and 1 for tris).

hi mate glad you could join us
biggrin.gif

use a different name on that site(buzz) it stops trolls following from site to site.
firstly stop the behind neck presses and pulldowns you will end up with injurys.
all the exercise you posted could be done in an a,b,c,routine in a few cycles but for now stick  with the same workout for 8wks untill you understand the pricipals better.
i would recomend this.
squat alternated with dealifts every other workout m,w,f,
incline-bench
pulldowns or chins
shoulder-press
bent-over-rows or low-pulley-rows
dips
curls
there is no need for all them crunches your abs are the same as all the other muscles just do planks and crunches the compounds will take care of the rest.
if you are doing 30mins jogging after take in some fuel before cardio
what training are you doing now days,sets,etc.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

sorry just noticed your routine
wink.gif

akinu after looking at your workout i can understand why you never acheived the results you were looking to get.

you only trained one bodypart a week so you were not taking advantage of protein synthesis.

you were doing 4 sets of 8 reps every workout, so im guessing you didnt take advantage of progression every week, and if you did try to progress every week i guess you soon came to a platue.

im sure you will find HST much more enjoyable and beneficial once you have decided on your exercises you will know exactly what you have to do in the gym for the next 8wks.and i think you will make good gains as long as you train,rest,eat,correctly good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi there Akinu...and welcome to HST

Seems to me that all you need is to start up a serious workout, the one Peak recommends A/B split is perfect.

Stick to it for at least two maybe three cycles before you attempt any changes.

Targets to achieve before you start changing things:

Bench - 1.5 x Body weight
Dips - Body weight + 30 Kgs
Chins - Same as Dips
Squats - 2 x Body weight
Deadlifts - At least twice, 2.5 is one hell of a target.

If you achieve any or all of these you would surely have changed the way you look provided you are eating 500 - 1000 calories over maintenance.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't know my fat %.</div>

Try this equation:

Factor 1 - (Total body weight x 1.082) + 94.42
Factor 2 - Waist measurement x 4.15
Factor 1 - Factor 2 (Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass)
(Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight

All measurements english (pounds and inches) does not work with metric.

Your boidy fat % should not be much above 15 - 18%, your problem is not having much muscle mass, but HST'll take care of that
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Peak_power, faz and fausto many thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. Right now I am studying the remainder of the articles and the forum and will post shortly.

What a wonderful place
biggrin.gif

Hey,

I will start off with the suggested program

Monday

- Squat
- Incl. Bench Press
- Military Press
- Chin up
- Biceps bar curl

Tuesday

- Deadlifts
- Chest dips
- Upright row
- Bent row
- Reverse grip bar curl (forearm flexors)

And rotate this program. But calves (which I have to work out because I cannot run without them) and ab work (upper, lower, obliques) are left untouced.

How can I incorporate them into the routines? Which exercises should I pick for calves and abs?

Oh, and one other question.

Does the HST principle work with cardio-related activity? I mean, would starting off with %60 of your maximum speed or time and working up in weeks improve the result you get from running etc?

<div>
(akinu @ Dec. 08 2006,20:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oh, and one other question.

Does the HST principle work with cardio-related activity? I mean, would starting off with %60 of your maximum speed or time and working up in weeks improve the result you get from running etc?</div>
Not really.

However, starting with some distance or speed and then slowly incrementing will help you adjust and get better. Just apply that to everything else to life and you are golden!

Thanks colby,

I took my 15 rep maximums today, so I will put them here so that I can get direction and advice from you guys at every step.

15-rep max.es

Squat (with dumbells): 14+14kg
Deadlift (with bar): 15kg bar + 2.5kg + 2.5kg weights
Incline press: 14 + 14 dumbells
Chest dips (on machine): 30kg
Military press: 10 + 10 kg dumbells
Upright row (machine): 10 kg
Chin up (machine): 30 kg
Bent-over row (with bar): 10kg bar + 7.5kg + 7.5kg weights
Biceps curl (with bar): 10kg bar + 2.5kg + 2.5kg weights
Reverse grip bicep curl: same
Swiss ball crunch: with 10kg weight plate
Lying leg raises: with 4kg dumbell

I got a question: Should I do the chinups like this

Tele.chin.up.web.jpg

or like this

chin-up%20copy.jpg

Thanks

Let's add some corrections:

Why are you doing squats with dumbells? Lack of equipment?

You should try to do a barbell squat, that weight is extremelly low, you should at least be able to squat your own body weight in a bar...maybe just a little less. Chinups? Same scenario?

If it is a fact and you cannot push any heavier, then you should seriously drop all iso work for arms.

Chest dips (on machine): 30kg - does this mean bodyweight + 30 Kg or 30 Kg off bodyweight using an assist machine?

If so, you'd be better off not dropping much of the weights during the first two weeks.

Do a maximum of three increments throughout, like:

Squats - 20 20 24 24 28 28
Deadlift - 16 16 18 18 20 20

Chins ups - picture one, but a much closer grip 2 - 3 inches between hands maximum.

Hello Fausto,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why are you doing squats with dumbells? Lack of equipment?</div>

Actually 14+14KG (=28KG) dumbells equal the large bar (which is 15KG) + 13KG. So, I can squat my bodyweight + bar + 13KG, but I picked dumbells instead of a bar, as bar squats exert too much pressure on my spine.

But if the proper technique is with a bar, I'll switch.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Chinups? Same scenario?</div>

I cannot chin my bodyweight, so I do it on a lat.pull down machine. Probably I can do 1-2 chinups with my own bodyweight, but I definitely can't do 15.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If it is a fact and you cannot push any heavier, then you should seriously drop all iso work for arms.</div>

Well, these are my 15-rep maximums, so weights are lower than my usual 8-rep maximums. I will test my 10-rep maximums today and 5-rep maxiums of Friday. If they too, appear low, I'll leave out the iso's.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do a maximum of three increments throughout, like:

Squats - 20 20 24 24 28 28
Deadlift - 16 16 18 18 20 20</div>

These are in kilograms right?

Thanks

akinu you wrote this
Monday

- Squat
- Incl. Bench Press
- Military Press
- Chin up
- Biceps bar curl

Tuesday

- Deadlifts
- Chest dips
- Upright row
- Bent row
- Reverse grip bar curl (forearm flexors)
it should be mon,wed,fri, alternating the workouts.
glad you like it on here i think you are the first one who listened to my advise on another site and had the brains to look and check it out
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">it should be mon,wed,fri, alternating the workouts.</div>

Yes, I wrote it wrong. Thanks for pointing  
smile.gif

I think I had to have look at HST as I have a lot of experience in terms of what does NOT work for me. If you cannot get any results with what you already know, then you should look at what you don't know
biggrin.gif

I think it should be pointed out again diet is very important for a person to get anywhere. Even with a less than optimal training programme over the course of one and a half years you should have seen results.
If you havent been growing i would put it down to you not eating enough to support the growth, you said yourself your diet wasnt the best.

Making sure to read the diet section of the FAQ would be a good idea.
In terms of protein/carb/fat intake, the most important thing is to get around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, the ratio of carbs/fats isnt that important but its a good idea to get atleast 25% of your calories from fats.

Once your into HST and eating to support what your aiming for you'll more than likely start seeing the results your wanting very quickly.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(JonnyH @ Dec. 11 2006,11:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think it should be pointed out again diet is very important for a person to get anywhere. Even with a less than optimal training programme over the course of one and a half years you should have seen results.
If you havent been growing i would put it down to you not eating enough to support the growth, you said yourself your diet wasnt the best.

Making sure to read the diet section of the FAQ would be a good idea.
In terms of protein/carb/fat intake, the most important thing is to get around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, the ratio of carbs/fats isnt that important but its a good idea to get atleast 25% of your calories from fats.

Once your into HST and eating to support what your aiming for you'll more than likely start seeing the results your wanting very quickly.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Definitely. I will stop working out on 31st and leave 14 days for deconditioning. So, I still have time to devise my own HST routine. This will include hour-by-hour nutrition plan. I am still reading forum posts about that.

At the moment, though, I want to get the exercise part of the whole thing right and plan my first 8 weeks. After that, I will plan my meals.

Cheers

biggrin.gif

10-rep maximums:

Squat: 15kg bar + 10 x 2 weights = 35kg
Deadlift: 15kg bar + 10 x 2 weights = 35kg
Incline press: 20 + 20 dumbell = 40kg
Chest dip (machine) = 25 kg off my bodyweight
Military press: 14 + 14 = 28kg
Upright row (machine): = 12.5 kg
Chin up (lat.pulldown machine) = 45kg
Bent-over row: 10kg bar + 10 + 10 weights = 30kg

I have dropped bi-isolations

Swiss ball crunch: 15kg weight plate
Lying leg raises: 6kg dumbell

-----------------------

I still need a way to hit my calves and obliques. Any suggestions?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I still need a way to hit my calves and obliques. Any suggestions? </div>

With deads &amp; ATG squats my calves get plenty, but you can always include a calf raise somewher if you wish.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But if the proper technique is with a bar, I'll switch.</div>

It is not that d/b's are wrong no, but with the bar you can load a lot more than 14 Kg. Your first target should be to squat the same amount as your bodyweight including the bar but excluding your own weight.

Technique? Look up Barbell full squat (ATG)

It just does not make sense
rock.gif
that some of your upper body lifts are almost the same as your squat [Military press: 14 + 14 = 28kg], either your legs are incredibly weak or your upper body a lot stronger. For example I military press 1/2 of what I can squat.

You should be squatting 56 Kg easy! But anyhoo let us get you doing it first then we can tackle the rest!
wink.gif

Have you squatted before? When i first did 15 reps (first time squatting) i greatly underestimated what i was capable of, probably just because i wasnt enjoying the feeling but it grows on you  
biggrin.gif

Learning to squat with a barbell is going to be the best idea, your legs will get stronger a lot quicker than your arms will &amp; its good to try and get the technique down early.
You dont really need to directly hit your obliques.
Are you working out at home or at a gym?

Back