I want strenght

mattb_25

Sup guys. I've been workin out for maybe 4 weeks using hst. I love using hst and all but I just started football and I really need to improve my strength.

Could anyone give me advice on what kind of program I could use that would give me strength and a little bit of size? Or could I just use madcow's 5x5 work out?

If you havent been doing a program very long, just to a standard 5x5 without the peaking phase. Start light, workup over a few weeks to a new max. Drop down and repeat.
IF you havent had a lot of experience, then tryign to over-reach and achieve supercompensation, you may end up going a bit too hard - very easy to do.

I´m 40 and did one cycle HST then switched to 5x5 and I can tell you I am stronger now than when I was playing high school football.

My strength gains are exploding. Hypertrophy is no longer my concern, Raw explosive strength is my goal.

read this site

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

and buy the book starting strength by rippetoe, read it then give it to your coach and demand he read it and implement it if he hasn´t already.

<div>
(liegelord @ May 22 2006,22:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">drpierredebs: Could you list your before and after numbers and which 5x5 routine you did?</div>
Routine in this order:

Warmup

Squat
Bench
Bent over Row (90 degree and unloaded between each rep)
Standing Overhead Press (NOT behind the neck)
DeadLift (unloaded between each rep)

Weighted Dips
Close Grip Pull Ups

Deadlifts are substituted once a week with Power cleans

I have started the third week.
The first and second week I did everyday
Third week will MTW as I have a marathon on Sunday ( 60 kilometers, 2000 Meters total meters in Mountain climbs, in Garmisch Partenkirch, Southern Germany)

Since the end of my first HST cycle and yesterday:
Squat is up 20 kilos to 120 kilograms x 3 Full squat
Bench is up 10 kilos to 115 kgs x 4
Row is up 15 kilos to 90 kgs x 3
Overhead Press has not progressed much, maybe 2,5 kilos, ( I had a huge improvement after the HST, like 25 kilo increase in max, but it was seated and now I switched to standing)
Dead is huge now, up 30 kilos to 160 kilograms x 2
Dip is up about 10 kilograms to Bodyweight plus 20 kilograms 5 sets of 5

When I started HST I couldn´t´dip for **** after HST I was up to 5 sets of body weight and now 5 sets of 5 x bodywight plus 20 kilograms.

Big decrease in noticable body fat, I haven´t measured it but it is very noticable to me and my wife.

My buttocks are filling out pants. I never had big gluts, but this is changing rapidly. My hams are getting huge and the squats is really balancing my legs out. I have no cruciate ligament in my right knee and I NEVER have any pain or instability.

That rippetoe book changed my life more than anything else in a long long time.
honestly.

&quot;I have started the third week.&quot;

Those are great strength gains, 30 kilos in the dead, wow. But you've only done the 5x5 for 2 weeks and put 30 kilos on your dead?

Yep, Two and a half weeks ago, I could only lock out with close to perfekt form, 130 kilos on the dead lift.

On monday I locked out 160 kilograms?
rock.gif
???

I can´t explain it. I just keep getting stronger faster.
Maybe I always had the strength but was over trained or tired or I don´t know.
But it has happened and I feel everyday stronger and full of energy.

Awesome drpierredebs, good work. Please provide updates on your numbers. I have been doing a 5x5 type for a few months, but I'm cutting and did not ramp very well at first so things haven't gone as well. You're doing alot of exercises per workout also. I've been doing the following and getting decent gains:

Monday &amp; Friday: olympic back squats, bench, row
Wed. deadlifts, dips, chins, OH press, front squats

Cutting sucks
biggrin.gif

I gave up on cutting, Instead I just work a little harder and the fat burns of slower. Lets face it, I amnot entering any bodybuilding or power lifting contests so there is no need for me to cut fast. I wanted to cut fast for the marathons but Screw it, I still manage to finish in the middle of the pack.

Herr Docter,
Your gains look cool. Are you following the advice given in 'Starting Strength'?

Im going to buy it.

cheers

<div>
(style @ May 28 2006,13:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your gains look cool. Are you following the advice given in 'Starting Strength'?</div>
Yes.

Back