I think I overestimated a few weights..

stan

Greets.

When I measured the squat+deadlift I did the mistake of not measuring them one after the other, so I think I overestimated what I could do..

Here's my program and what I did monday:
each exercise, 2 sets, 15 reps.
Squats - 55kg
Deadlift - 65kg
Machine assisted dip - -30kg
incline benchpress - 30kg
Cable Pulldown - 35kg
Seated Row - 28kg
Seated Calve-raise - 170kg

After the squat + deadlift I was finished.. I don't know how I actually made it through the other exercises as I was just exhausted after those two, but I finished everything with 2 sets & 15 reps.

I think I overestimated.. but I'm not sure.. Maybe it's supposed to be really tough the last week of 15's

I'm thinking of either removing squats from wednesdays exercise and do deadlifts, and then remove deadlift from fridays exercise and do squats..

Or I could just do one set of each for the next two days instead of 2 sets.

What do you think I should do?

S.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm thinking of either removing squats from wednesdays exercise and do deadlifts, and then remove deadlift from fridays exercise and do squats..

Good idea. You just answered your own question.
thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, I don't think I could handle squats and deadlifts on the same day either. Right now, I'm doing squats on Mon, Wed, Fri and deadlifts on Sun, Tue, Thu. It gets a little brutal still, but it's way easier than doing both on the same day.

Hmm.. I'm so tempted to just reduce the sets for squats and deadlifts from 2 to one, instead of varying it and doing both the same day..

Maybe it's my machismo Going "Ugg!" and growling in a "More Power!" attitude..

So doing just one set of squats and one set of deadlift is not as good a choice as removing one from wednesday and the other from friday?

S.

me personally, I'd rather alternate them. Racking/unracking for squats/deadlifts is a pain. It'd be easier just to do a couple of sets with the same exercise.

I'd alternate them too, and consider dropping to one set for your 15s. THen increase to two sets for your 10s. Also, why do benches and dips? You could alternate these too!

I'd alternate them too, and consider dropping to one set for your 15s. THen increase to two sets for your 10s. Also, why do benches and dips? You could alternate these too!

Actually if I can I won't alternate between them, mainly because they are two different exercises, although many of the muscle groups are the same.

And no way am I going to alternate between dips and incline benchpress, one focuses mainly on lower pecs and the other on upper pecs, so I'm keeping both in.

I'm looking forward to the extra exercises the 10s will bring in, as today is the last day of the 15s.

I'm thinking of doing 2 sets per compund exercise, and perhaps one warmup set at 50% of the weight only for compund exercises. How many reps should I do the warmups?

S.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan @ Jan. 28 2005,12:50)]Actually if I can I won't alternate between them, mainly because they are two different exercises, although many of the muscle groups are the same.
And no way am I going to alternate between dips and incline benchpress, one focuses mainly on lower pecs and the other on upper pecs, so I'm keeping both in.
I'm looking forward to the extra exercises the 10s will bring in, as today is the last day of the 15s.
I'm thinking of doing 2 sets per compund exercise, and perhaps one warmup set at 50% of the weight only for compund exercises. How many reps should I do the warmups?
S.
If you choose not to alternate between squats and deads, so be it. You will know by the end of the cycle if it was a good idea or not.

As far as warm-ups for compounds, I recommend 50% of working weight and do 1-2 sets of 6 quick reps to fire up the Nervous System.

Dayum.. I didn't eat before the exercise, and it wrought hell on my performance.. I barely could do it to 15 reps so it wasn't to failure.. I'm wondering how close to failure is ok..

Of course today was the last day of the 15s so maybe I'm worrying for nothing as it's supposed to be close to failure..

I'm having fun discovering the difference between HST and what I'm used to, and pretty much estimate that I won't get the optimum gain on the first cycle.

Hmm.. I think a part of me doesn't want the exercises to get too easy mainly so my 5rm or 1rm won't begin to slide to lower weights.. I guess it's just paranoia, and I really shouldn't worry about it, but I kinda do.. and for that reason I'd like to keep both DL and SQ in, but it's not a very good reason to keep 'em in every day..

And if I would keep both DL and SQ for the first week of 10 and 5s, but skip it for the seconds weeks, I'd really be extending the zig-zagging factor even more.. and that wouldn't be cool.

Ok, varying the exercises over the days it is.. I might though in the future try a cycle with both of them in, in the unspecified future.. but I'd need better reasons for it than "More Power!" + manly grunting noises.

Biz, thanks for the warmup tips, will use 'em.

S.

ha.. I failed the last rep with the incline bench and seated row when doing the last day of the 10s this friday..

I've seen it recommended not to take things to failure.. is this considered failure?

Why not take it to failure, when failure is either on the last rep of the second set (if doing 10s, 3rd set if doing 5s)?

Just wondering :)

S.

I'm not a 100% sure about this, but i believe there was a quote out there somewhere by someone that said if you go to failure it will take a week for the CNS to recover. Basic reason not to go to failure is to avoid CNS fatigue/failure

ok.. so if you overestimate a weight, it's better to stop a rep before taking the weight to failure..

S.

In the beginning I was pretty paranoid about the failure thing, but in my experience, I haven't seen any real world problems arising from the occasional failure set. Just my experience; I imagine everyone responds a bit differently, though.

Incidentally, stan, I do both squats and SLDLs every workout, but I put them at the end. I started doing this basically because they took so much out of me that the rest of my workout suffered. At the end, I feel like I can put everything into them since I'm almost done. Once again, everyone is different and finds their own path. :)

Semajes: That's cool man, I put them first because then I really don't need to warmup as much, and I think they're great so I like to start with them.

I discovered the other day something interesting.. Normally I eat 1 hour before I go to the gym, maybe 1h30m, I ate 20 minutes before the workout yesterday and I was full of energy throughout the whole workout.. I thought it was amasing how the recuperation time between exercises was cut down, and I could do them easily..

I guess if you time the before-workout meal right, you can have a great workout.

S.

Back