I need strenght

MoDog

Hi folks,
I'm still cutting and switched from 5x5 Bill Starr to HST clustering 20 reps with only 4 core exercises per unit. My plan is very much like the 5x5 standard plan (Squats, Rows, Bench and Chins on Mo and Fri; Deads, Military, Bench and Chins on Wed). I haven't lost any strength so far, but I want more and I'm really hard-headed on this one. So I think about cutting the volume down to 10 reps for one week with the same weight (dual factor) and then steadily increasing it again. I even thought of switching into 3x3 as it's described in the advanced 5x5 method by Pendlay. Any suggestions or options I haven't mentioned yet?
PS: Can someone tell me the difference between clustering and max stim? I don't get it. They seem to follow the same philosophy.
rock.gif

I wouldn't expect much for strength gains while cutting. You may want to wait until you are bulking again, or at the very least consuming maintenance calories before you expect to complete a strength specific training program.

<div>
(MoDog @ Apr. 03 2007,04:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">PS: Can someone tell me the difference between clustering and max stim? I don't get it. They seem to follow the same philosophy.
rock.gif
</div>
To me, in practice, Max-Stim is like clustering with 1 Rep clusters. In philosophy they're somewhat different. Clustering seeks to manage fatigue, Max-Stim wants to avoid it.

Dan Moore, who created Max-Stim, doesn't see metabolic fatigue as being beneficial at all. Work and ATP turnover in the muscles, yes, fatigue no. In practice, though, that can seem a bit like splitting hairs. FWIW, here is a discussion by Dan of the difference between cluster HST and Max-Stim.

I'm currently hoping to lose some fat and keep gaining strength myself. However, I'm over 20% BF and only trying to lose very slowly. I have yet to prove that I can do both at once, we'll see pretty soon.

I'm not sure about the 3x3 idea. In the DF 5x5 it's meant to follow a period of overreaching when you need to cut volume. It would probably work for maintaining strength, but maybe not for increasing it.

One other idea would be to try some volume / intensity work. One workout high volume, one low volume, but high intensity where you try for a new PR. Possibly a light workout in between for active recovery. Whether it would work better while cutting than what you're doing I don't know.

If you have Rippetoe's Practical Programming, see the discussion of the Texas method, which is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

Thx for the link, Lifting. That makes it clearer, although the difference is minimal.
@ strength: You're right, Totentanz. Its not easy to gain strength whith a deficit but I think it must be possible by conditioning your neural strength. I was wondering If a volume decrease for a week or so might be a good option to recover and to increase weight later on.
rock.gif

Back