I cannot get the burn

boggy

This is my 2nd cycle and I am in my 2nd week of 5s (doing drops).Last cycle I had the same problem but i thought I only had to set weights lower.
Anyway problem is still there,almost in every exercise I cannot get the burn at all doing drops.I tryed a lot of different weight combos (very low/gradually drops etc)but I cannot get the desired effect.
The same happens during 15s.
Body parts where I manage to get the burn are only quads,calves and shoulders.

what can be wrong?

I have this same problem and posted it before in this forum. It was suggested to me to try 3 sec concentrics and 1 sec eccentrics. I had a little more success with this but still was not able to get a burn on all exercises. Give it a try.

Randy

The production of lactate and hydrogen ions (the latter is one cause of the burning feeling) is dependent on sufficient glycogen stores. So if you're skimping on the carbs, it might be worth it to increase them. This is especially true during the 15s, as the high rep work tends to deplete your muscle glycogen pretty fast.

As for exercise performance, a slow concentric (1-3s) and a moderate/slow eccentric (3-5s) should help, in addition to shorter rest periods between sets of the same exercise/muscle group. You could also try doing more reps if the loads are very light - try 20-25 reps.

I will try what you suggest but on some exercises,particularly doing drops,after last set with 5rm I cannot do enough reps even lowering weights a lot and I stop due to fatigue-incapacity (not failure thought).

Anyway as general rule I should use an extremely low weight after last set,with a slow tempo, going on until it burns even if it takes more than 20 reps,right?
Or would be better to progressively decrease load?
This would be hard to do bcause many times I dont have a spotter and I have to drop myself losing a lot of time.

There's no need to progressively drop the load; drop it all at once. Go down to a weight you were using early in your 15's, or something similar that is convenient.

The key thing is to do you dropset as one continuous set, never locking out, and never resting during the negative. Focus on the positive. It's a trick of putting the muscle constantly in working positions, lifting the weight; when you lock out, it rests; during a lightweight negative, it rests. But while it's working -- on the concentric -- it is producing metabolic by-products faster than the blood can take it out, and it you will feel it eventually. As long as the weight is low enough, you should have enough strength to lift it enough times to get a burn.

It is sometimes very tricky to get a burn with compound exercises like rowing. This is because the row is very complex, as far as your back is concerned. Some muscles work very hard at the beginning of the pull; others work hard at the end of a the pull. That means that during the beginning, those 'end muscles' are resting, and during the end, those 'beginning muscles' are resting. When the muscles are getting rest, you can't get a good burn.

I'm playing with finding the ranges of motion to get decent burns in different parts of my back; by doing my dropset in a small range of motion, I can really burn specific parts of my back.

thanks for your advice edziu,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There's no need to progressively drop the load; drop it all at once
thats just what I wanted to hear.Still 2 question:

1)So it should be no prob if I wait 30-40 sec before starting the drop set?This will help me having enough strenght to make all reps required for the burn.
2)doing drops for compound lifts is enough or I should do them for all exercises?Also,say i'm doing 2 exercises for the same body part ,should I do drops for both?

1. The less you wait, the more quickly you should be able to hit your burn. If it feels too heavy after your work set, use an even lighter weight for the burn. That being said, there's nothing inherently wrong with waiting a few seconds or even minutes; you'll just have to do more reps to get your burn.

The key thing is for your attempt at a burn to be one long set, with as much time spent concentric as possible.

2. I don't think there are any strong arguments here; there's no need to do a burn for every muscle group every time, and doing two sets of burns because of slightly different exercises for the same muscle group in one workout is probably not worth it. Most either do a set of burns once a week, or rotate their exercises so as to hit them all over the course of a week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ June 30 2003,7:34)]Most either do a set of burns once a week, or rotate their exercises so as to hit them all over the course of a week.
Hmmm... my impression is that many are doing burns/drops in each workout, for most exercises (except where there are >1 per bodypart, then only on the last, as you stated).

Too much??

For a short while, I did a burn on every exercise every time for a couple of weeks. It didn't feel like "too much," but I was advised that it was not necessary.

If you think about it, that makes sense -- your just trying to keep the capacities high. You don't need to exercise the limits every time; in the heavies, the priority is the heavies.

So, being one for efficiency, I dropped the unnecessary excess burns. I can use the time better elsewhere!

Back