How to SD?

Singleton

I want to keep in shape during SD. I would like to do calisthetics, run, do Yoga, and do some weights with high reps, superset/giant-set type of training.

Are any parts of this bad? Should I really try to minimize activity? I love to get a pump and I love to do the hot/cold in the shower afterwards because it's great for my circulation.

I always feel so good after I exercise and I would hate to have to take a whole week of sedentariness.

I want to stay in shape during SD. Is this OK? How much is too much? How little is too little? I realize this will differ bet. people, so how can I know what is best for me?

I also want to get a better grasp of how SD works. I'm doing the "active" SD (described above) this week. Still trying to develop an HSroutine.

Thank you,

Singleton

Code:

Well Singleton, there is no such thing as "active" deconditioning. What your asking for is to stay in condition while you are trying to decondition. It just won't work.

Strategic Deconditioning is a stimulus, just like lifting a weight is a stimulus. You must not exercise any muscle you want to see continued growth of. Now, if you don't care about the size of your legs, go ahead and run or do whatever. But everything you mentioned like supersets, giant sets, high reps, even yoga all completely defeat the purpose of SD.

Just sit and do nothing for a whole week?

That sounds so awful and makes me very sad to think about it.

I think I will feel like crap and lose a lot of strength and size, perhaps not immediately, but soon thereafter. It will take a while to build up the strength and then eventually the size will come back.

I imagine I will gain some fat as well.

Is this really the way? I can't believe it.

What I have noticed from layoffs in the past:
1) increased strength
2) inability to recover from workouts

Hi Singleton,
Everyone struggles with this -- I like to work out every day and never stop, but it is a mental thing we have to get over in order to get the most gains possible. Walking or leisure biking has helped me during SD, with emphasis on "leisure." You should avoid any activity that will interfere with proper deconditioning. And yes, at times I do feel like crap during SD, but it is worth it.

The only size and weight you will lose is from water -- it's only a little over a week -- I lose about 2 to 3 pounds over 10 days and I always gain it back in the first week of 15s. I doubt you will gain any fat in SD if you are eating at maintenance.

Have you looked at this Strategic Deconditioning FAQ?
This might help explain in more detail about how SD works.
IMHO you should take a week off or you will not see the results you want for your first cycle. This is one of the mistakes people make for their first cycle and will later regret it. Try SD the way it was designed and see for yourself.

It can be frustrating to think of not training for how ever long your SD is. I am on a 14 day SD right now. You will not lose real muscle, lose strength or gain fat if you do things correctly. Think of how long it takes to get where you are. It's not all going away in a week or two.

Make sure you are eating clean at maintenance calories and you'll be fine. Like Elle said, some leisurely walking or biking when you would normally be training will keep you busy and make your cycle more effective than if you try and do some "light" training through SD.

I think you're right.

I don't think I'll lose that much muscle. I'm going to ditch all weights and running, but I'll still walk and I'm doing yoga.

I feel like the teacher told me I couldn't go out to recess for 7 days.

calcineurin and MAPKs

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Granted, any form of exercise will alter patterns of protein synthesis and degradation. But a muscle cell can only grow significantly if some degree of tissue microtrauma occurs. This is brought about when the load is sufficient to strain the cell membrane and its integral structural and contractile protein structures. This signals cellular messengers of various kinds including calcineurin and MAPKs and their associated nuclear counterparts.

What are calcineurin and MAPKs ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]from: HST FAQ > Strategic Deconditioning

• The interval of Strategic Deconditioning (SD) is determined by the time course of adaptation to the individuals maximum weight loads. In other words, SD is required to reset growth potential after plateauing. The duration of SD is determined by the level of conditioning attained during the training cycle.
Determined by an individual's maximum weight loads? How does one determine the level of conditioning attained and how does this factor in to the duration of his SD?

This author continues to sermon about how the author is right and that the reader must have "faith".

A simple explanation that explains the formula for determining the duration of SD would would be much less self serving.
Thank you,
Singleton

I'm probably oversimplifying here, but if you are untrained you wouldn't need much SD, if any (only lifting is to determine your RMs). On the other hand, if you are very experienced & well-trained/conditioned (perhaps did HIT-type extended dropsets & negatives prior to HST, or in a previous HST cycle), you would need a longer SD.

It goes to muscle condition: toughened from lots of prior training = longer SD, and vice versa.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Singleton @ July 29 2003,11:05)]I think you're right.
I don't think I'll lose that much muscle. I'm going to ditch all weights and running, but I'll still walk ........
LOL

You should sit still for at least 9 days. :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]jsraaf, PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Dude I think it's a joke.

Lighten up Francis. ;)

As far as determining SD length, I do this.
The longer the cycle (the more time spent at the heaviest weights) the longer the SD. A 6 week cycle with no drop sets and I'll do 10 or so days. An 8 week cycle with drop sets throughout the 5s, and 14 days is the minimum for me. Much of this is trial and error. I just finished cycle 10, and I'm still learning things that make a difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Singleton @ July 29 2003,4:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]from: HST FAQ > Strategic Deconditioning
• The interval of Strategic Deconditioning (SD) is determined by the time course of adaptation to the individuals maximum weight loads. In other words, SD is required to reset growth potential after plateauing. The duration of SD is determined by the level of conditioning attained during the training cycle.
Determined by an individual's maximum weight loads? How does one determine the level of conditioning attained and how does this factor in to the duration of his SD?
This author continues to sermon about how the author is right and that the reader must have "faith".
A simple explanation that explains the formula for determining the duration of SD would would be much less self serving.
Thank you,
Singleton
determined by the adaptation to the individual's maximum weight loads.

You can't determine the level of deconditioning - but you know that the longer you wait, the more you decondition.

There is nothing self serving about these statements - you're asking for a formula that does not exist, since every individual conditions and deconditions at different rates, and there are so many factors involved it'd be impractical to begin to start.

I work as a weight room attaendant in my college gym.So during my deconditioning I had to spot people and rerack weights.But I alwas tried to pick the lighter weights and leave the left to others.But I am doubting can all those spotting and reracking mess up my SD?

:) Anoop

Yes, it can. Even lifting a couple of dumbbells while getting in position for some light flies may condition your biceps to a certain extent. Moving furniture around, carrying heavy bags, all are potential RBE establishers. At least in theory.

Hi Singleton,

I have done three 8-week cycles, and I think the SD thing is the hardest part. No kidding; I even find myself daydreaming about starting other programs just to get out of SDing. But I haven't changed to any other programs because I know that HST really works. Better to put up with SD than to go down some other road to nowhere ...

One thing I noticed during my latest SD (which I'm still on) is that at about 9 days into SD, my joints started really aching. First my legs started aching; next day, it was gone. Then, at about 11 days, my left shoulder started aching. Now on the 12th day, that is mostly gone. At first, I was puzzled. But then I realized that my 5s were real hard, and I also did lots of drop-sets. Thus, I think that SD also allows your joints to rest and heal up a bit. With this in mind, you could imagine that SD is really just weeks 9 and 10 of your cycle.

Cheers.

I've been doing yoga. It feels good. The level of relaxation I acheive helps to keep me from wanting to attack. I know this isn't really SD. I'll probably take a little longer to SD because of it.

I noticed that I am really sore now. dang, I never got sore before! I guess I built up a tolerance to my routine and I just didn't notice it. It's also possible that the Bactrim DS I was taking could be a contributing factor to the soreness.

Disregarding the cause of my soreness, it should go away fairly soon and when it does, I may be almost ready to start up my HST routine.

Navigator, for joint problems, I take glucosamine HCL (now foods). Seems help a lot.

micmic, what are RBE establishers?

Can't I use the word D A M N?

Cause in my last post, I used it but it got changed to D A N G.

What's with the prefs for this forum soft? Someone set it to "bible-thumper" or what?

Bryan has it set that way

he is a religious person tho

if you like colourful language, come over to mfw, its sweartastic

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]micmic, what are RBE establishers?

I meant anything that could cause the dreaded Repeated Bout Effect. Namely, lifting a heavy weight that will "protect" the muscle from subsequent bouts with lower weights (and so, will reduce hypertrophic signals).

Back