How late to eat

volatile

I have recently been having my last meal an hour or less before I go to bed, I am trying to gain weight, but in general I wanted to know if this was too late.
Tonight I had a protein shake an hour before bed, which consisted of 1 scoop Egg protein powder, 8 oz water, 3 ice cubes, banana, and a packet of grits.

Personally, I don't believe it matters if you eat before bed. I don't know why so many people think that food consumed before bed magically turns into fat... but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ June 29 2005,12:27)]Personally, I don't believe it matters if you eat before bed.  I don't know why so many people think that food consumed before bed magically turns into fat... but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Yeah I still have that one implanted in my head... but doesn't ti slow down your metabolism since you're resting right after you eat?

Even if it did, wouldn't the energy expended throughout the next day use some of the fat stores anyway? Remember guys it's about balance, if you are maintaining an energy balance (weekly) then there is no additional energy to be stored in the long run.

In his case where he is trying to gain weight, it will come down to surplus over the long run, if he can maintain a surplus for a duration he will gain weight. A proper diet and training routine will help prevent the surplus going to adipose. Timing of the meals based around the training will help also. With that in mind I doubt that eating late will have much of a detrimental effect overall.

dkm, how would the meals have to be timed around training? Is there anything special one should do in regards to that? I know about pre- and post-workout nutrition, but did you mean actual meals?

Not arguing that it matters, since I have no idea, but what about the effect of eating before bed stunting GH release during sleep? (or something like that)

It's significantly overstated. Having a protein-rich meal before bed is not going to hurt GH release over the entire sleeping period. Same thing with eating before bed contributing to fat increase.

cheers,
Jules

Back