Heaviest Exercises

BIGBANGSingh

Which variants of the following exercises allows one to exert the highest force possible?

Dead
Squat

Sit-up
GHR

Dip
Press

Chin
Row

Also, for each of the following pairs of exercises, which one allows one to exert the highest force possible?

That is a difficult question, one who's answer is basically, "it depends".

Nevertheless, I would say:

Deadlift (less balance issues than squats)

The rest really depend...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Nov. 17 2004,7:11)]That is a difficult question, one who's answer is basically, "it depends".
Nevertheless, I would say:
Deadlift (less balance issues than squats)
The rest really depend...
Which variant of Deadlift? Does that fall under "it depends?"
crazy.gif

Also, since all of these depend, how about the ones that allow you to exert the highest force possible the majority of the time?

Bent-leg Deadlift (highest force)
Back Squat

abs I don't know

Decline bench press
Dip (what variants are there?) (highest force)

T-Bar row? (Guessing)
Chins: Shoulder-width, palms facing each other (highest force)

This is mostly based on the numbers I've seen reported. Typically, people can bent-leg deadlift more than they squat, dip more than they bench (counting body weight in the dip), and chin more than they row. (I'm guessing on the last one. My reasoning is, I've heard plenty of stories of one-arm chinners, but no stories of people rowing twice their bodyweight.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phynn_Boi @ Nov. 18 2004,2:50)]This is mostly based on the numbers I've seen reported. Typically, people can bent-leg deadlift more than they squat, dip more than they bench (counting body weight in the dip), and chin more than they row. (I'm guessing on the last one. My reasoning is, I've heard plenty of stories of one-arm chinners, but no stories of people rowing twice their bodyweight.)
People may dead more, but they're using a shorter ROM, so are they really exerting a higher force? What % of BW are you counting in the dip? I guess the best way to determine if the chin or row is heavier is to see if the lat pulldown or row is heavier, so which is heavier?

I think the ROM of the deadlift and squat are about the same, unless you're talking about really deep squats. People generally lift more in the deadlift because it doesn't require as much balance as the squat. The less you have to worry about balance, the more force you can produce. (Witness the leg press.)

(Interestingly, world-class heavyweight powerlifters tend to squat more than they deadlift. I'm not sure why this is.)

I count 100% bodyweight for the dip. It would probably be more accurate to factor out forearm weight, but that's negligible: it might knock it down to 95%.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phynn_Boi @ Nov. 26 2004,3:51)](Interestingly, world-class heavyweight powerlifters tend to squat more than they deadlift. I'm not sure why this is.)
I'm guessing because squatting gear adds significantly more than deadlifting gear.

Back