Have to fit training into 4 consecutive Days

Randy

I have an unusual schedule in that I work 3 consecutive 12 hour days. There is absolutely no time to train on those days. I usually have 4 days off each week but that will not accomodate 3 workout days with a rest day in between. The HST principles seem sound to me and I'd like to give it a go but not sure if I'll be able to. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Randy

I'm doing something similar, with very good results. I train Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, so Saturday, Sunday & Monday are free. I haven't altered the principles, I don't feel the need to. Although I only have 24 hours between the last two workouts of the week, I feel fine. Maybe it's not the optimal way to go, but it certainly doesn't swerve from the basic principles. Besides, I think that the 3 consecutive days of rest are actually very good, something like a mini-SD, and it makes my Tuesday workout terrific :)

My main concern is training the same muscle groups 2 days in a row...this goes against the traditional principle of allowing atleast 48 hours recovery time and most experienced trainers will say this is a sure-fire route to over training. On the other hand, I read in an article at this site that it is even ok to train the same muscle groups twice in the SAME day as long as the volumes are kept low. I'm a bit confused on the HST methods regarding this. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

The 48 hours are not needed for recovery, a basic teaching of HST is that recovery can continue even when lifting. The growth signal after a workout lasts for approximately 2 days, that's why the workouts are spaced out this way.

I would suggest to try it the same way I have. I didn't have to lower the volume because of the 2 consecutive days, but if you feel exhausted then do so. For example, you could do 2 sets on the first of the 2 consecutive workouts and 1 set the next day.

How about splitting into upper and lower body workouts?

M: Upper Chest,back,tri,bi
T: Lower Quad,hams,calve (maybe add abs, forearms)
W: Upper
T: Lower

Gives you 48 hours and hit's muscle twice a week.

I can do a 2-day split twice weekly, but I think one of the fundamental principles in HST is to increase the frequency of training all muscle groups to thrice weekly. Another statement in an article basically said that tweaking the program would be self-defeating so I'm concerned that training each muscle group only twice weekly at these low volumes would not accomplish the HST goals, and, in fact, be less effective than other types of routines.
Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

A while back there was a 36 hour recovery post
(sorry I couldn't find it)

You could do a full body workout

Mon: am
Tue: pm
Thu: am

Trains each muscle group three times a week with 36 hours recovery.

Thanks for the input, guys. The monday a.m. followed by a tuesday p.m. workout to get over 24 hours rest is creative and worth some thought, although working out at say 8
wow.gif
0 in the evening or 5
wow.gif
0 in the morning isn't a much preferred time. I may have to come up with a compromise by increasing the volumes a bit (more sets) and going to a 2-day split twice a week or a 3-day split once a week.
I have more questions but I suppose I should start a new topic.
Thanks,
Randy

Back