Grip test

Well, my grip is improving doing static holds and one-arm hanging sessions but I want to add in some crushing and pinching work.

Right now I can only pinch grip 2 x 25lb plates (flat sides outwards) and hold them up for around 15/20 seconds with my right hand and much less with my left.

I want to get hold of some Captains of Crush grippers and wonder what I should go for initially? If I got a No1 and a No2 gripper would that be too much to get going with? I think they also come in .5 increments now so perhaps a 1.5 might be better than the 2. There are a couple of grippers easier to close than the No1 too. Any advice folks?

It's time for me to get serious about my grip strength.

Just ordered a pile of Captains of Crush grippers from Ironmind in the US. Exchange rate is very good right now so it was cheaper get them shipped to the UK than to buy them here (although I'll probably take a VAT hit when they arrive in this country).

I've opted for a No.1 and a few trainer grippers too so I can work my way up. I'm hoping I can get the No. 1 closed by the end of the year. With a 400lb+ deadlift under my belt anyone know whether this sounds like a possibility? I really won't have a clue until they arrive.
rock.gif

My goal is to get the No. 2 closed after a few years of training. If I make that I won't stop there but it'll be a big milestone for me.

Update on the COC grippers:

I took delivery of my order from IronMind today - only three days from ordering! Brilliant!

Managed to close the No.1 gripper right off the bat with my right hand but not quite with my left. Managed 10 good reps with the Trainer (100lb) gripper. So, it looks like I'm going to have to order the No.2 already and start working towards closing that. I now have to try to get 10 reps with the No.1.

My goal has now changed to closing the No 2 by the end of the year.

Got some proper chalk too so will be using that for my deads and other grip training. It's really good stuff.

Any store that has rock/wall climbing gear should also carry chalk. If you have a rock/wall climbing place anywhere near you they should have it for sale too.

It is usually a mixture of magnesium carbonate and magnesium sulfate. The sulfate is the stuff that keeps your hands dry. You could possibly just use magnesium sulfate (AKA epsom salts) for chalk.

I've never figured that out, since I haven't used chalk (I like gloves) - where I come from, we spit on our hands to get a grip on that axe handle so we don't miss the guy- I mean log.

great, thanks for the advice...I live in Asheville, North Carolina, rock climbing is really popular here, (the highest mountains in eastern North America) so I know where to go to buy some now!

If Bolton and Magnussen use chalk to deadlift 900+, then I am not going to flinch at it, IT MUST BE GOOD FOR THE GRIP!

Sci: tried using chalk for my grip training this eve. I could hang on to 400lbs with ease using the stuff! Wicked! The box I got from IronMind is basic Magnesium Carbonate, 8 x 2oz blocks, made in China. It certainly works. I will be using it for all my deadlifting in future and even rows and chins. In fact I'm going to use it for everything, even pushing exercises. It just gives you a much surer grip. Get some.
cool.gif

<div>
(etothepii @ Feb. 18 2007,20:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">TERRIBLE!!!! Oh my gosh, I had no idea how weak I am!!!! Left hand - zero. Couldn't hold myslef up at all. Right hand -- maybe 3 seconds. Both hands -- 33 seconds. This was an eye opener. After cutting, my first HST cycle will include a grip exercise on off days.

Any suggestions? I was already planning some cardio and bas on off days. What would be good for grip? Equipment-wise, I just have some bar bells, plates, and the chin up bar.

I can probably rig up some stuff for farmer's walks. Should I do an HST progressive plan, or just go heavy and try to progress in time/distance?</div>
Same here just about, but I wasn't as shocked, a little yes, but I know I have no grip strength.

It felt like maybe I got a second per arm and I busted out 22 seconds for both at 184.

Update....I just went back and totally psyched myself up and got maybe 3 seconds on the left and maybe 4 or so on the right. I guess it's time to go have my PWO now, don't want to lose any mass that I just made.
laugh.gif

Just go to ebay and type in chaulk or powerlifting chaulk...you will get some good deals there.  

About the grippers....if you can't close the #3 within 2 years after grip training religiously then you have very small hands or you're just doing something wrong.  Train 3-4 times per week and don't expect miracles.  
The grip will improve drastically over time.  Grippers are just like any other exercise.  Improvement is a hell of a lot harder the higher up the scale you go.

The question is still out there: I have some of that sidewalk chalk I mark lumber with - is that any different than weightlifting chalk for grip? I couldn't find anything on the web about it.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 06 2007,14:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The question is still out there: I have some of that sidewalk chalk I mark lumber with - is that any different than weightlifting chalk for grip? I couldn't find anything on the web about it.</div>
Blackboard chaulk is made out of calcium sulfate. Chaulk for grip is made out of magnesium carbonate, which does not flake like blackboard chaulk and provides better crushing grip. You might want to try the blackboard stuff and see if it improves anything, I've never tried it. Magnesium carbonate chaulk isn't expensive though.

Uses
Magnesite and dolomite minerals are used to produce magnesium metal and basic refractory bricks. MgCO3 is also used in flooring, fireproofing, fire extinguishing compositions, cosmetics, dusting powder, and toothpaste. Other applications are as filler material, smoke suppressant in plastics, a reinforcing agent in neoprene rubber, a drying agent, and color retention in floods. In addition, high purity magnesium carbonate is used as antacid and as an additive in table salt to keep it free flowing.

Magnesium carbonate, most often referred to as 'chalk', is used as a drying agent for hands in rock climbing and weight lifting.

I see I need to work on my grip also. 8 seconds left hand, 9 seconds right hand and 38 seconds with both. This was done after my workout tonight. As I was hanging there with both hands, my hands started to sweat. The longer I hung the more they sweat. Which of course made me start slipping. I'll have to try again some other time and see how I do.

Bulldog, I had the same problem with similar results. Try testing your grip on an off day - something I haven't done yet.

5 days after my grippers arrived I did 6 good 'click' reps with the No1 with my right hand. I feel like I'm doing pretty well and making some good newbie gains. Hopefully, I'll get 10 reps soon. My grip is definitely feeling stronger already. The most difficult thing is trying to leave the grippers alone and not do too much. They're just such fun to use.

I have now ordered the No2 and No3 so I'll have plenty to work towards.

Lo and behold! My No2 and 3 gripper arrived this morning. First attempt with the No.2 and I managed just past parallel. This baby is going to take a while to crack. No.3 will remain in it's shrink wrap for a few months I reckon.

Yeah, good idea Quad. I couldn't resisit trying the No3.

However, the only way I can close it right now is to interlock the fingers of both hands and clasp it between them close to my chest. Then use pec strength to crush it. Even then it's not easy at all!

I can use the No2 for negs by using the other hand to assist complete closure, then hold for a second or two before releasing slowly.

The No 3 is a mean old gripper. When I can do it I will be chuffed to bits.

And just think....stevejones can almost close the #4!!!

Man I would hate to shake hands with him when he is in a bad mood!
mad.gif

Back