First time SST program

Where do you want your size? If you want it just in your upper body, or lower body, or some other specific muscle group, then you could try an HST cycle with 5x5.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Dec. 26 2007,12:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Where do you want your size?  If you want it just in your upper body, or lower body, or some other specific muscle group, then you could try an HST cycle with 5x5.</div>
I want size in both upper and lower body. HST has worked pretty well for size and strength since I started it but I think my strength level is still way behind where it should be. Which is why I was going to try a 5x5 cycle.

took 3 weeks to complete the first 2 weeks of 5x5 but working out only on wed &amp; friday only really psychologically hurt me, I felt like I was SDing every week and felt &quot;rusty&quot; and unmotivated, plus my diet hasnt been very good. SO I'm going to start over from the beginning now that I can get back on a regular schedule.
Also, I am swapping rows out for chins, using the assist machine for sub-BW loads.- and doing military press instead of incline bench on wednesdays.
I am very excited for this new program. Just thought I'd share.

If you felt like SD'ing in the first two weeks of a program, something is wrong, as well as your diet.
I eat kinda crappy in some ways myself, by not counting things, but diet is key to BBing, as well as sleep.
Some of us hate dragging the butt into the gym, but do it anyway. We SD when it's not POSSIBLE to do another workout.

I don't think I phrased that very well- It's not that I feel like I NEED TO SD, it's that having 4 days off from lifting in a row kind of took me psychologically out of the game the way I feel on an SD. Working out every other day keeps me always focused, looking forward to the next workout etc, so going from fri-wed without having a &quot;tomorrow's workout&quot; to look forward to was less fun, and I felt less &quot;into&quot; it. Does that make more sense?

Absolutely. I felt pretty wiped from the holiday weekend of running, wrapping, and all myself, and took an extra day off to rest from all the 'resting'.
I also didn't have all the strength I had before Christmas...so ended my sets with some tens at 70-70% or thereabouts just to burn things up. Man, do I ever feel it now!

Cited from &quot;Madcow's Training and Information Site&quot; about substitutions of exercises in the intermediate 5x5:
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Don't **** with this. Every bodybuilder seems to have Attention Deficit Disorder and an overwhelming desire to customize everything. The bottom line is that these are all the most effective exercises and just about anything one does will result in less gains. As a rule those people who want to change it don't know enough to make proper alterations - those who do know enough, don't have much to change. The guy who is responsible for this program is of the best on the planet at bulking lifters and making people stronger.</div>

First of all, I am sure most of you have read this already and have had as good a laugh as I had upon the formulation itself
biggrin.gif

Secondly and to the point, I was going to ask for advise as to how big an issue it would be to do some limited alternations... Bottom line here is that I want to improve my ability to pull up myself with heavy burden and aim for the one arm chin-up. So I thought about substituting the Barbell Row for Weighted Pull-ups and add a few rope climbs as assistance.

Now I do not consider it to pose a greater risk of overtraining with the added rope climbs since I have a solid upper body work capacity especially when it comes to pulling. But substituting Barbell Rows for Pull-ups, hmm I am not experienced enough to determine whether this be too stupid with regard to development of muscular balance and success with the program. This 'customizing' would in a way be fair and in accordance with my goals but what do you think of it beside from this pull-improvement ambition of mine?

<div>
(Philip @ Jun. 06 2008,6:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how big an issue it would be to do some limited alternations... Bottom line here is that I want to improve my ability to pull up myself with heavy burden and aim for the one arm chin-up. So I thought about substituting the Barbell Row for Weighted Pull-ups and add a few rope climbs as assistance.</div>
I can't imagine it would hurt your progress. I did weighted chins instead of rows because my lower back wants to go out when i do rows. I got stronger in all lifts even though I made this modification.

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Jun. 10 2008,11:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can't imagine it would hurt your progress.  I did weighted chins instead of rows because my lower back wants to go out when i do rows.  I got stronger in all lifts even though I made this modification.</div>
I recently read somewhere that rows build more thickness on the back and chins gives you more wideness. I have never included rows in a routine before but my back has developed normally with chins only in the past so I guess the two exercises overlap each other in that aspect if the above said would be true.

Anyhow, given that I have not done much 'rowing' at all I think it would be unwise to substitute that exercise now that I can do it as part of this routine. The one-arm chinup will have to wait
smile.gif

Back