first hst programme for the new year

RE: regular bar squat/dead hybrid. None that I'm aware of. Perhaps the best to manage for you to deadlift with what's available to you is to just do conventional deads, starting with your butt down very low and your shoulders back with your head up - looking ahead, like in the bottom of an olympic squat position. Starting with a weight light enough to manage safely without effecting your balance.

One thing I've noticed about lots of people's deadlifts - they start bent over with the legs straighter than they could be like 1/2 way into a SLDL position instead of being in the bottom of a proper deadlift form. This may be something that affects your balance.

<div>
(jmm @ Jan. 03 2007,06:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks. Was thinking about something like this - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/TBDeadlift.html Anyrate, could give deadlifts a go for a week or so...

Anyway, ow. Just remembering this morning that I shouldn't have put the bar on a bony bit of my back when squatting. Doh...</div>
Yep that's the trap bar deadlift.

About the squat bar on the neck...what do you think traps are for? Not for looking at, nope they are for putting the bar across for squatting.

Some people just use the pansy pad that comes with some bars too. I've got one somewhere in my gym. I don't remember where I put it though.

thanks - yeah, I should have remembered that. I guess the pain will serve as a reminder
smile.gif

I'm trying to use the HST calculator to work out a programme. Are there instructions as to what numbers go where...?

Right, looked at the site again, and I think I've worked out weights for the 15rep section of the 'A' days of my workout - this look about right? In terms of warm-ups, I gather I do a warmup set (with light weight?) of the squats; do I need to do a warmup set for anything else (I tend to do 5mins or so of cardio to warm up before starting, anyway). The plan would be then be to do one or two 'work' sets of each exercise during 'A' workouts, as I up the weights?

Olympic Squats: 45/48/50/53/55/58kg
Bench: 21/24/26/29/31.5/34kg
cable rows: 69/74/79/84/89/94lb
Standing Shoulder Press: 12.5/15/17.5/20/22.5/25kg
crunches: 30/32/35/37/40/42kg

Training seemed to go OK yesterday - using compound exercises certainly makes it quicker, 2 sets of everything and was done in under 1hr
biggrin.gif
Hardly any muscles soreness today - not sure if that's a good or bad thing...

For the 'B' days, the plan would be:
Deadlifts - 2*15 of pathetically low weight while I try to get to grips with the form.
Assisted Dips - 57.5/60/62.5/65/67.5/70kg
Assisted Chins - 41.5/44/46.5/49/51.5/54kg

Crunches and shoulder press as with 'A' workouts.

The plan would then be to do workouts on 3 or 4 nonconsecutive days each week? And, for chins, do I want my palms facing towards me?

Back