first hst programme for the new year

jmm

I've been using the weights at the gym twice a week for about 6 months now; I'm 5'11 and 74kg. I'd like to gain a bit more muscle, and hst looks like it could be an efficient way to do that - so it would be great if you could help me pick a programme...

Haven't used hst before, so apologies for the daft questions. I figured I'd pick the exercises now, then work out what reps to do when (I gather I should go to the gym to do a hst programme every other day) and probably calculate the weights to use in the new year (after a nice week off
smile.gif
). Let me know if this sounds reasonable/makes sense...

taking from the sample hst workout on the site, I've picked out exercises I do know how to do:
- squat/leg press (alternate between the two).
- calf raise
- incline bench press and dips (alternate between the two).
- bicep curl
- shrugs
- tricep pulldown
- crunch with weight

I know I'm missing a few exercises. Basically, my coordination and balance suck - so bent over row and leg curl I can't do with decent form. Would chins be an alternative to bent over row, or do I need another exercise too? And any suggestions as an alt to leg curl (lunges, maybe?) And is there anything else I need to add in?

Final daft question: I've also been doing back raises along with crunches; worth keeping doing those?

TIA.

Stiff legged dead lifts to replace leg curls.

And alternate pull-ups (or pulldowns) and low cable row for back.

Welcome jmm.

If you do your calves early in your workout you will have more problems with your balance. Do them after any exercise where your balance is important. Last would be good.  
wink.gif

You need some sort of shoulder press to hit your delts. Standing barbell presses are a good choice. During post-5s you can switch to push presses and really load up the bar. You'll need to work on your balance though.

Work on your coordination and balance until you can do bent-over rows. Check out Pendlay rows. They would be a good choice for you as you could re-check your balance after each rep.

Chins are a must.

Make sure your squats are ATG as this will recruit your hams and glutes more. IMHO better for knees too. Add deadlifts and alternate with squats (or just do deads once a week). When you do deads you can add a set or two of shrugs after those with the same weight or do a shrug at the top of each deadlift raise. deads will work your lower back hard too so unless you have a real need to strengthen your lower back further you can drop the hyper-extensions for now.

Probably best to forget about the arm isos until you can really shift some weight in your bench/dips and rows/chins. My arms are still growing from mainly back and chest work after a year of HST. I occasionally do isos if I have the time and inclination at the end of my workout.

If you really want to do arm isos then be sure to do a stretch point exercise for tris, such as skull crushers or standing triceps extensions.

thanks for the suggestions. Cable row should be good.

re. delts - knew I forgot something ;) Is a standing barbell press better than a seated barbell shoulder press? - no big deal either way, just I'm more used to a seated press.

re. deadlift, um, that's another one I struggle with (it's the exercises where you have to bend forwards like that I find hard, for some reason...) Any other options? Once a week deadlifts I could possibly do, but I'd be worried about doing myself an injury when I reduce the reps and up the weights.

re. arm iso exercises - do you mean bicep curl and tricep pulldown? If that's the case, will try cutting them out - taking less time in gym will be a good thing
smile.gif

jmm: really work on your form for rows and deads before upping the loads. These two exercises should be part of your training for years to come so it'll be worth getting them right. If you have inner ear issues that are causing your balance problems then that's a whole different matter but otherwise just take the time to get these movements down.

Any press is a good press but I think standing presses are as good as any and allow you to easily switch to push presses later in the cycle.

Yeah, bi curls and tri pushdowns can be dropped for now while you focus on getting your loads up for chest and back movements.

I have inner ear issues all the time.  I can't remember exactaly what the condition is called but it has to do with the little "crystals" that are in the ears not moving properly.  So every few months I have to do some "exercises" where I lie on one side for a min. or two and look up at an angle in the other direction, then sit up for a min., then lie on the other side for a min. or two looking up at an angle the other way.  And I repeat this a few times.  Basically every time I lean over to the side I feel dizzy and then it goes away.  After several days of doing this I don't get dizzy any more.  Then a few months later I start to get dizzy and go through it all over again.  One day I bent over to tie my shoe and ended up on my head because it was so bad.

If this is a similar problem I can try and scan the sheet I got from the doctor on how to do these little exercises.  There is no risk in doing them in any way.  But I would recommend seeing an ear, nose & throat doctor if you are having issues with your ears and balance.

thanks. Slight neurological problem means that my coordination/balance didn't develop quite right. Re. deadlifts, I've tried to do these on and off for months, with minimal weight, and couldn't get them right - it's possible I will at some point, but I'd be a bit sceptical about this
sad.gif

Anyway, I'm sure my biceps will enjoy a break from curls
smile.gif

jmm: OK I understand more now and well done for doing your best to work around your problem. Some gyms have a bench you can lie on for rows. Check out Quads home T-Bar row machine for an example of what I mean here:

T-Bar row

Stick to the basics, use alternate A&B workouts MWF:

A: olympic squats, bench, pendlay rows, standing OH press
B: deadlift, dips, chins, standing OH press

If a lift requires a machine or cables, don't do it. Unless you're injured, don't substitute an exericise for one where the load is less. You could also do power cleans. The only way to screw this up is to not eat and/or sleep enough.

Once your deadlift gets close to 400 (and it will pretty quick on this routine) you can drop it to only once a week, i.e., A w/o M&F and B on wed.

Hey Liege, great advice but did you read about jmm's balance problem?
smile.gif

thanks. Sadly, a 400lb deadlift any time soon is likely to turn into a 400lb somersault. Hell, eight kilos and I struggle to stay upright
sad.gif

So if I try to mix lying and cable rows as a replacement for the bent over row, is there a good replacement for the deadlifts?

Edited to add: will probably be offline for a week or so - will check back in to get the rest of my programme sorted after that.

thanks - but flexibility's not so bad, and I have tried doing deadlifts for a while without any particular progress... Any alternative exercises, or perhaps just doing leg curls would be best (can do those with poor form, as opposed to dreadful form for deadlifts
rock.gif
)

Anyway, all the best for the new year
biggrin.gif

Just an associated note I read lately: doing standing OVH presses help strengthen the core muscles too, so I've quit sitting for them. The snatch getting it up there can't be hurting either.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when you said "Sadly, a 400lb deadlift any time soon is likely to turn into a 400lb somersault."
laugh.gif

great - will probably switch to standing presses, then. I tend to find it easier to keep a good posture if I use a split stance - no problem using this for the shoulder press?

My core strength isn't too bad - have found weight training has really helped with that. Now when I trip up when I'm walking I can normally hold myself stable and just fly through the air a few feet
smile.gif
Anyway, more core strength can only be a good thing. It's breaking my fall on one of those racks you hang plates from in the gym, which always seem to be come to about groin height, that's more of a worry
laugh.gif

Anyway, I can go back to the gym tomorrow so can work out (at least some, depending on time etc.) maximums
biggrin.gif
This seem like a reasonable programme?

A: olympic squats, bench, cable rows, standing OH press, weighted crunches
B: leg curl, dips, pull-ups or pulldowns, standing OH press, weighted crunches

jmm, I do hate to suggest pharmaceutical intervention, but have you discussed meclizine with your doctor?

It's pretty good for vertigo.  I have MS and among other things, it really screws with my balance sometimes. I've learned to handle mild vertigo without falling, but when it's severe, I take my meclizine before going to the gym.  It helps a great deal.  

Definitely worth talking to your doc about.

Until you find a way to manage it, those of us with conditions that interfere with our workouts simply have to work around them.

If your gym has a trap bar, do your deadlifts with it.  No, they aren't as good as "real" deadlifts.  But they are a close second and the more upright position may help keep you from tipping over.  Even simulating the deadlift movement in the cable row station is better than simply not deadlifting.  Just position yourself so that the handle is at your feet and as you pull it back, lean back until you are parallel to the floor.  Almost the same movement - different way to get it done. (This is the way an exercise physiologist and I came up with to let my wife deadlift after her unsuccessful back surgery.)

I also agree with the post about not using cable assisted machines, however, if you need the help because of a medical condition - there is nothing wrong with using them.  

For example, I feel the leg press is vastly inferior to the squat.  However, if someone falls over under a loaded bar, they are going to be injured, possibly seriously.  In their case, the leg press would be the superior option.

Use whatever tools are available to you to get what you need to do done.

Good luck.

thanks for the suggestion - I've heard vertigo medication suggested for similar symptoms. My problems aren't that bad, though (certainly minor compared to the effects of MS). Reading my last post, I don't think irony comes across so well in text...

I manage well most of the time - without falling (hitting the ground) etc. I do feel a bit nervous around nasty things to trip on/drop on myself, but haven't done any damage yet, touch wood. It's just a few odd movements/positions - bending over in certain ways while lifting weights, some of the balances in yoga, etc. - that I haven't been able to get my head around. I'm reluctant to try medication for this: partly cause this is something I can normally manage OK without medication; partly cause, if I tell my Dr that I feel unbalanced if I do a deadlift or shoulder-stand, the likely response is just 'well, don't do that then' ;)

edited to add:
Trap bar deadlift - this is what you mean? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/TBDeadlift.html - looks better: keeping straighter should make things easier
smile.gif
Squats I find OK to do with a Smith machine - I think knees going forwards helps with balancing...

So, for a slightly revised programme:

A: olympic squats, bench, cable rows, standing OH press, weighted crunches
B: trap bar deadlift, dips, pull-ups or pulldowns, standing OH press, weighted crunches

Yep, that's the one.

Actually, each person has their own walls to go over or work around. If the vertigo is an issue for you, it would be silly not to find a way around it...such as you've done with the smith machine for squatting. Remember that whatever the cause, anything that can interfere with your lifting and possibly cause you to get hurt is important enough to find a way to accomadate for it.

Yeah, some big 300lb powerlifting beast will look at someone in the smith machine and think "wuss". However, if you ended up falling under a loaded bar you'd probably think, "idiot, I should have used the smith machine."

Kind of when I use a belt and knee wraps for squatting when my legs are being uncooperative. Some beasts see my little 175lb squat and wonder, "why is that pansy wrapping his knees?" I don't care what they wonder. When I'm wrapped at 175, or raw at 225...I'm putting out the same effort but keeping a mind to safety and knowing what my body can and cannot do.

You do the same and use whatever assistance or device you need to work around your vertigo. As long as you are making progress, that's all that matters...how you do it doesn't.

...oh yeah, if it does reach the point where you need medication don't forget that your doctor works for you, not the other way around. If one says such a thing to you then find another who understands the need to train.

I'm blessed with the doc I've got and she's most helpful in every way. My chiro on the other hand used to insist that I had to stop overhead pressing, squatting, and deadlifting every time I came to him with my SI joint messed up.

When I explained how funny he was going to look with an olympic bar sticking out from his backside, he got a new attitude and understood that his job is to fix it, and help me find a way to do the things I do without getting hurt...not to stop beneficial activities simply because sometimes they hurt.

<div>
(vagrant @ Jan. 01 2007,19:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...oh yeah, if it does reach the point where you need medication don't forget that your doctor works for you, not the other way around. If one says such a thing to you then find another who understands the need to train.

I'm blessed with the doc I've got and she's most helpful in every way. My chiro on the other hand used to insist that I had to stop overhead pressing, squatting, and deadlifting every time I came to him with my SI joint messed up.

When I explained how funny he was going to look with an olympic bar sticking out from his backside, he got a new attitude and understood that his job is to fix it, and help me find a way to do the things I do without getting hurt...not to stop beneficial activities simply because sometimes they hurt.</div>
LOL you don't want to bother with any wimpy thinner bars - go straight for the full olympic
smile.gif

Anyway, have got most maximums worked out:

- 14 dips (own body weight - 73kg)
- 7 chins (own weight)
- 10*70kg squat
- 14* 97.5lb seated cable row
- 6*35kg standing shoulder press (seemed to be stopped by more a problem with balancing than with muscles failing)
- 11*40kg chest press
- 21*30kg crunches (dumbell held in front of chest).

The plan with this is to use this site to work out 5/10/15 rep maximums - http://strengthnspeed.com/Powerlifting/MaxCalculator.htm - and then use the HST calculator on the site to sort out the programme?

My gym doesn't have a trap bar - can I do the same kind of squat/deadlift hybrid done in the trap bar deadlift using a straight bar? Will probably be changing gym in a week or two, and the new one has more equipment...

Back