Decent foods

Monkey

Hi
I spose I could place this in the Nutrition section but its such a basic question, and I'm sure other people like me would like to know the answer too. Someone asked a question the other day about Fats in the diet and to give examples, many people replied but still did'nt give examples of what to eat. I think it would be useful for a lot of beginners if some one came up with a list of suitable things to include in your diet, e.g tuna and chicken are loaded with Protien, pasta is loaded with carbs, however i dont really no what FATS are good for me to eat and in what quantities? A list of good proteins, good carbs and good Fats would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Look for products containing unsaturated fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated). You're going to get some saturates but you mainly want the other type.

Some foods containing "good" fats include:
- tuna, salmon & other fatty fish (& the derived fish oils)
- olive oil, canola oil, or even better: flax seed oil (& flax
seeds, of course)
- nuts are also supposed to be healthy, I think.
I hope somebody more knowledgeable can expand on this...

Generally,

Protein (~1gram per pound of bw)

Lean sources -
Turkey
Chicken (white meat)
White Fish (tuna etc)
Beef/mince (<10% fat)
Protein Powder
Low fat Dairy

Fats (~25-30% of cals)

Fish Oil (~3-6grams EPA/DHA per day)
Cod Liver Oil
Flax Oil
Olive Oil
Nuts
Butter (in moderation rather than margarine)

Carbohydrates (remainder of calories)

Vegetables
Fruit
Unprocessed Grains
Beans
Generally choose foods low to moderate on theGI List (except pre/post workout)

NeeBone,

Yep 100% nautral peanut butter (no skippy)

Monkey,

Here's a "food shopping list" posted by Bryan (can't find the post)

Meal planning food guide

Protein-Best choices
Note: Avoid breaded and/or deep-fried meat dishes. Meats should be prepared by broiling, stir-frying, grilling, or pan-frying with a minimum of unsaturated cooking spray. All meats should be trimmed of visible fat.
Salmon
Eggs (3 whites + 1 whole)
Tuna
Chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
Swordfish
Turkey breast
Halibut
Lean cuts of beef
Mahi-mahi
Mackerel
Cottage cheese (fat free or low fat)
Cod
Catfish
Lobster
Shrimp
Crab meat
Sardines

Protein supplements:
Milk protein isolate
Whey protein concentrate/isolate
Soy protein Isolate

Protein - Good choices
Top Sirloin or Round steak
Chicken (dark meat
Hamburger (7-10% fat)
Pork chop (trimmed)
Turkey (dark meat)

Protein-Fair choices
Yogurt (light)
Milk - 1% or skim
Cheese (low fat)
Ham (lean)

Fats - Best choices
Nuts -(raw, no salt, no oil)
Walnuts
Peanuts
Pecans
Macadamia nuts
Almonds
Sunflower seeds
Hazelnuts

Oils
Fish oil
Evening primrose oil
Flax oil
Olive oil

Carbohydrates - Best choices
Fruit (fresh)
Apples
Peaches
Cantaloupe
Tomatoes
Grapefruit
Nectarine
Grapes
Cherries
Lime
Strawberries
Oranges Pears
Pineapple (fresh)
Banana
Water melon
Honey dew melon

Vegetables
Spinach
Green peppers (and/or orange, red, or yellow)
Broccoli
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Brussels sprouts
Cucumber
Lettuce (any dark green variety)
Celery
Mustard greens
Jicama
Squash

Legumes
Lentils
Navy beans
Peas
Chick peas
Kidney Beans
Garbanzo beans

Vegetarians should include the following foods:
Note: For people who follow vegetarian diets, the American Dietetic Association has these recommendations:
· Consult a registered dietitian or other qualified nutrition professional, especially during periods of growth, breast-feeding, pregnancy, or recovery from illness.
· Take a vitamin B12 supplement
· Minimize intake of less nutritious foods such as sweets and fatty foods.
· Choose whole or unrefined grain products instead of refined products.
· Choose a variety of nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, including good sources of vitamin C to improve iron absorption.
· Choose low-fat or nonfat varieties of dairy products, if they are included in the diet.

Grains
Oatmeal
Whole grain breads
Brown rice (or other low refined variety)
Barley
Corn
Pasta
Whole wheat

Sorry can't post the word.doc
Mikeh

Hmmmm

bold

I can't code, I can't attach ..... I'm going back home
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Keebler Elf @ Mar. 08 2003,3:55)]Butter (in moderation rather than margarine)
While getting any oils from an unprocessed source is better, usually margerine is avoided because of trans fat content. THis is primarily becuase most american margerines were hard (Ie contained large amounts of trans fats).
However, today margerines are available in low to no trans fat styles (soft ones in general)
Butter also contains trans fat.

but either one should be used in moderation, because 1tsp is ~50cals so it can build up energy really quickly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Mar. 07 2003,3:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Keebler Elf @ Mar. 08 2003,3:55)]Butter (in moderation rather than margarine)
While getting any oils from an unprocessed source is better, usually margerine is avoided because of trans fat content. THis is primarily becuase most american margerines were hard (Ie contained large amounts of trans fats).
However, today margerines are available in low to no trans fat styles (soft ones in general)
Butter also contains trans fat.
but either one should be used in moderation, because 1tsp is ~50cals so it can build up energy really quickly.
Eh, you win some, you lose some! But butter tastes better!

Butter is actually a wonderful food if you are able to obtain it unpasteurized. Check out what they have to say about it at www.westonaprice.org. And while it may also contain some trans fat to it i believe most of it is the good kind (CLA isomers) formed by enzymes in the rumens of certain animals. Any bad trans found in butter i would think to be the result of scorching the hell out of it during the manufactering process in commercial dairy plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vito @ Mar. 10 2003,12:11)]And while it may also contain some trans fat to it i believe most of it is the good kind (CLA isomers) formed by enzymes in the rumens of certain animals. Any bad trans found in butter i would think to be the result of scorching the hell out of it during the manufactering process in commercial dairy plants.
A fair amount of the trans fatty acids available in butter (2-5%) are elaidic acid or C18:1t, the trans isomer of oleic acid.
This is found in beef fat (before cooking), milk and butter. Because of bacterial changes to the fats during digestion generally.

Some remarks:
There is a great concern about the mercury content of some foods. I wouldn't eat tuna & salmon on a regular basis. Herrings are a safe fish since all of them come from ocean. Most mackerel is good too.
I wouldn't advise lots of nuts & peanut butter, and I would stay away from corn oil & sunflower oil altogether. They contain lots of omega-6 fatty acids, and this causes an imbalance in the omega-6 / omega-3 ratio. Yes, omega-6 are essential but today we have the problem of taking too much of them. Besides, body maintains a pool of omega-6 that wouldn't let any omega-6 deficiency happen even if you wouldn't take any for 1 year. Flax seeds, flax oil and fish oils help to correct this imbalance. The only nuts that contain a good ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 are the walnuts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ Mar. 19 2003,4:33)]There is a great concern about the mercury content of some foods. I wouldn't eat tuna & salmon on a regular basis. Herrings are a safe fish since all of them come from ocean. Most mackerel is good too.
wait, don't some herring spawn in fresh water? i remember sometimes going fishing at cape cod (i'm from boston area) for the seasonal herring runs.

as for contaminated fish, you also have to worry about PCB's in addition to mercury. pretty much all wild fish in the world, due to industrial waste, have some level of contamination now, i think. i believe this is why pregnant and nursing women are told to reduce or even eliminate their fish intake (getting their EPA/DHA from purified fish oil supplements instead).

EDIT: okay, did a quick internet search. herring (which includes sardines) spawn in shallow coastal waters and basins.

Tuna comes from the ocean, too.

The problem with the bigger fish is that they're higher on the food chain. As you go up the food chain, toxins get concentrated. Plankton picks up the toxins; little fish eat plankton, concentrating it. Moderate fish eat little fish, further concentrating, etc. Salmon and tuna are high up the chain -- then we eat them.

Others are even more concerned regarding fish. The following comes from www.mercola.com :
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have known that mercury in fish has been a problem for some time now, and used to warn that one should restrict fish consumption to a few species. Because some fish have less mercury then others, I thought certain types of fish, eaten in limited quantities, were acceptable.

However, upon more study, I have changed my position. It is my experience that nearly all fish are contaminated with mercury. I have done thousands of hair mineral analysis on patients and the patients who don't eat fish are the ones who have immeasurable levels of mercury in their hair. Anyone eating fish has mercury and nearly always in direct proportion to the frequency they are eating fish.

Although this study was performed on whales in Japan, it is not the only country suffering from pollution. Recently, I posted an article that showed over 5 million pounds of mercury were dumped into the environment by the US alone(one pound is equal to 454,000 mgs). This is causing immeasurable damage to our environment and the food we get from it.

It is confirmation that our species has irreversibly and permanently contaminated the waters of the world to the point that all fish are now toxic, and although I suspect technology will develop in the next few centuries that will clean up this mess, for now we are stuck with this fact.

It is my strong recommendation to avoid all fish, unless you are absolutely certain that it has been tested in a laboratory and shown not to contain detectable levels of mercury and other toxins.

It has mercury that will absolutely compromise your health.

We all need the omega-3 fats, but you should get them from a clean source. Most of the fish oil supplements go through a molecular distillation process to clean out the mercury, but you should definitely contact the manufacturer directly to confirm this.

yeah, i've been reading mercola's stuff lately. seems like a smart guy. i'd like to follow more of his recommendations, but to be honest, it can probably get obsessive. the more i read his site, the more i feel like a hypochondriac (sp?). i mean, he's probably right about most of his findings. but to implement all the stuff he talks about requires a lot of effort and resources (ie, cash and its ilk).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tai4ji2x @ Mar. 22 2003,4:52)]yeah, i've been reading mercola's stuff lately. seems like a smart guy. i'd like to follow more of his recommendations, but to be honest, it can probably get obsessive. the more i read his site, the more i feel like a hypochondriac (sp?). i mean, he's probably right about most of his findings. but to implement all the stuff he talks about requires a lot of effort and resources (ie, cash and its ilk).
thats because mercola is an extremist nut
crazy.gif

hypochondriac ? extremist nut ?
hmmm... I guess it depends on your point of view. For this particular subject, either he DOES find toxic mercury amounts in the hair analysis or he doesn't (that is, he's lying). If you believe that he's telling the truth, then you have to admit he's probably right.
He should certainly find us to be hypochondriac about many things concerning weight training... As I said, it's all a matter of perspective...
In any case, what I believe is important is to make a well-informed choice, like: "this moment I'm eating a mercury-contaminated can of tuna". This is what I'm doing :D

Back