Deadlift for Rotator Cuff help!

TunnelRat

I was perusing the UK powerlifting site (thank you, RUSS!) and came upon an article entitled, "Biomechanical Analysis of the Deadlift", by Martyn Girvan for EliteFTS.com. I found, about halfway through, the following item:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The conventional style involves the use of the erector spinae, trapezius, quadriceps and hamstring muscles (Stone &amp; O\'Bryant, 1987). Further analysis of the conventional deadlift indicates that the gluteal, latissimus dorsi, teres minor, subscapularis, infraspinatus, supraspinatus, and biceps brachii all assist with the lift to some degree (Farley, 1995).</div> (my caps).

I wonder if it shall turn out that the deadlift provides sufficient help to the four muscles of the rotator cuff that I won't have to bother with those powder puff dumbbells and the time consuming rotator cuff exercises anymore...?

They more than likely stabilize against the shifting forces that occur as you deadlift the weight. As for halting the rotator cuff work, I dunno. I'd like to not have to do them either but given what I have to lose if I injure the cuff I'm willing to do them anyway. Better to suffer possible redundancy then increase the risk of a substantial injury - IMO.

A forum member on T-nation said he does internal/external rotations once every 12 days and, he says, it has helped his bench press. I hope it does the same for me.

I'd done the 7-minute RC solution diligently for a while to no avail. I'm thinking about the face pulls Steve Jones had success with and I believe a few of you here are using.
Whatever, I need to get busy with something soon (besides deads) - my 2 month layoff relieved things, but didn't heal. I'm ready for the 5's and feeling the shoulder again, especially benching.

Not sure on the dead lift working the cuff muscles in any other way that stabilizing the shoulder.

Quad, for sure try the face pulls. I have been doing them for a couple of months and they have been helping. I think they are a more functional way to work the cuff than the isolation exercises.

Back