cut without losing 5x5 strength

xarfox

Hello,

Every time I finish my 5x5 strength cycle I put on some extra fat weight and gain decent strength.

However, when I want to cut the fat off, I tend to lose all the strength and go back to square one.

How can I structure the 5x5 program to include cardio without losing my gains?

I was thinking to drop 1 set off to reduce volume and lift to my current maxes every week (without trying to raise them). With the volume decrease, there will be room for cardio to burn the extra calories. Squatting 3 times a week may not be feasible unless the cardio is low impact (swimming/biking).

I am a hard-gainer and have to watch my volume or I'll get overtrained and lose strength.

Thoughts?

I'm sure you'll get some advice along the lines of lifting heavy w/ low volume and HIT cardio.

the diet section seems to have discussion along the lines of mass sparing nutrition going on...

I made some PR's on my cut but had to quit and SD because my joints went south on me. Your idea of staying at max or just below sounds more reasonable inasmuch as you're just trying to signal the musces that there is a lifting enviornment out there and they have to keep working (stay large).

<div>
(xarfox @ Jun. 05 2008,11:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, when I want to cut the fat off, I tend to lose all the strength and go back to square one.</div>
Not wanting to sound obvious but... if you usually lose all your strength gain during cuts what have you been doing on your past cuts? It is a good information as in what does not work with you and a good starting point for what should be avoided and tweaked.

previously one of my cut phases was coupled with a hand injury so i couldn't bench press. I used fly machines to get by.

I also reduced squats from 5 to 3 sets.

I removed the Wednesday (light) workout and replaced it with bodyweight exercises

i dont know if my joints can take a 5x5 and cardio, especially with reduced caloric intake. how much should i try to leave out and is it possible to maintain my maxes with these conditions?

Back