Cut or Bulk first?

unless your a strongman or a bouncer theres very little point in being a fat body builder, at my gym the fat guys walk around with the carpets under their arms tryin to look big, pushing big weights, great? not really.

id cut to see what ive got to work with, then build from there.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">John Doe is at 20% body fat and wants to start lifting.</div>
It's hypothetical as he said. So since the guy is NEW and would be the ONLY guy in here who can cut and gain at the same time, I'd say do maintenance while lifting for a while (which would amount to cutting, most likely) and put some beef under the fat, then see HOW he carries the fat. Some guys like me put it all in a tube around the waist and some spread it all over like Sci.
Then the mirror tells what to do.

Well 20% bodyfat really isn't that high. Yeah, it's not lean, but it's not that fat either. You'd basically look like a normal guy. So sure, working at maintenance for a while might work. Heck, even a modest deficit that you could achieve simply by doing cardio a few times a week on top of lifting would likely result in a better body composition over the first month or two.

I'm a firm believer in getting down to about 9-10% before doing any bulking.

Also, don't jump right into bulking after cutting. Give your self a few weeks to stabilize before you start adding calories.

-bryan

<div>
(lcars @ Mar. 20 2008,3:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">unless your a strongman or a bouncer theres very little point in being a fat body builder, at my gym the fat guys walk around with the carpets under their arms tryin to look big, pushing big weights, great? not really.

id cut to see what ive got to work with, then build from there.</div>
ditto

Agreed with most here, first cut, then stabilize, and the add bulk slowly so as not to gain much fat, and keep going.

Back