5 x 5 review

colby2152

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's another example of the 5x5, as per Bill Starr:

The Bill Starr Power Routine

When I was a freshman in college, Bill Starr gave me this routine to follow. It was designed for off-season football and general strength training. In the first 16 weeks I was on it, I added about 35 pounds of bodyweight, and took my total from a paltry 600 to over 950. Of course, I was also on the dorm’s prepaid meal plan, and ate like it was going out of style. Plus, I only had four classes that semester, so I spent lots of time sleeping.

Monday – Heavy Day
Squat – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Powercleans – 5 sets of 5
2 sets of weighted hypers
4 sets of weighted Sit-ups

Wednesday – Light Day
Squat – 4 sets of 5
Incline Bench – 4 sets of 5
High Pulls – 4 sets of 5
Sit-ups – 3 sets

Friday - Medium
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Powercleans – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple
Weighted Dips – 3 sets of 5-8
Triceps and Biceps – 3 sets of 8 each

Key Features:

* On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. For squats, something like 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. If you are working up to bigger weights, say above 500, you can add a sixth set of 5 just to avoid making large jumps between sets. I’ll explain how to choose the top weight in a second…

* On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. An extra fifth set at this same weight can be added. Incline bench is done using the same scheme, working up to 2-3 sets of 5, but with about 70-80% of the weight flat bench, to accommodate the leverage difference of the incline. High Pulls are done by feel, but usually pretty heavy.

* On Friday, the first four sets are the same as they were on Monday. The fifth set, done for three reps, should be a jump of about 2.5% over what you did for your fifth set on Monday. As you become more experienced with the system, you can experiment with the weight you use on this triple. This should NOT be a PR triple attempt every week. In fact, the goal is to come back the following Monday and get the same weight for 5 reps that you got for 3 reps the Friday before. To avoid missing reps, pick weights carefully. Take it easy the first few weeks, and don’t over do it. After the big triple, drop back to the weight you used for your 3rd set and try to get eight reps.</div>

thats what i get from it colby.

well lets say we start the loads comparable to how we start our first week of 5's(in vanilla hst)as we do these over 2 weeks that means 6 progressive load increments.so as we are going to do 5x5 sets then start with the same/similar weight you would normally,if you get my drift.i think we can be forgiven for not using the exact % of rep max
wink.gif

i like the simplicity of the routine and definitley think its worth a go.maybe next cycle.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> In the first week, do I start off at my 5RM or lower?</div>
Definitely lower. You are supposed to hit your current 5RM on week 3 or 4, probably week 4 if this is your first time. This is the Madcow 5x5 recommendation.

Regards,
Dimitris

In that spreadsheet I just sent you is a similar routine. Just change the exercises at the top to match and it should lay out a template for you, including the first three sub max weeks.

How can you incorporate deadlifts in this program? Would the best option be replace the squats on Wednesday and do deads instead?

Also I have problems with benching and my shoulder, a good replacement would be dips right? Or maybe DB bench since they have weighted dips on Friday already?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw this http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm and this gave me another idea.

In 5x5, you'd probably want to replace the bench with an overhead press if you have problems with benching - assuming overhead pressing doesn't give you the same problem.

Deadlifts can be done on weds, but generally only 4 sets or so. Weds squats should be light though.

Back