your results with HST...

Hey i dont really do measurements and stuff like that, but i started doing this when i was 21 and i weighed 148 pounds and i am 6ft1in. 18 months later i weigh 208 pounds and i can still see my abs. i am very happy with the gains i have made with this workout.

One Year of HST
6/30/05
Weight: 181
BF%: 14%
Lean Body Mass: 155.66

6/29/06
Weight: 208
BF%: 12%
Lean Body Mass: 183.04

27.5 lbs of all muscle gained in 12 months
7 +/- 2lbs was gained due to muscle memory off an extreme pre-HST cut

For those who don't know, I lifted religiously for 5 months before HST, and on and off during the previous year. I am 21 years old and 6'2" on a good day.

So... HST for life?

Austin please post before and after photso if you could. 60lbs in 18 months while keeping bf% around the same is amazing to say the least. I have to see the transformation.

hmmm i just read the last pages of posts on this thread, seems that HST works!! I'm gonna start today, well by start i mean find my maxes. I'll be sure to post my results on here- although i dont have any calipers or anything like that, I guess ive got tape measure and a camera- thats plenty good! ok good now that ive said that- I cant dog the workouts lol Its all on now!!!

My height is around 170cm which is just below 5"6'. I have no idea about bf%, lean mass etc.

(1 week 15's, 2 weeks 10's, 4 weeks 5's)
Just finished my 3rd cycle of HST (a little over 2 months) and here are my results:

Before: After: 31st July 06
Weight: 165lbs .......................163lbs - .2
Bicep: 14.3".............................14.2" - .1
Forearm: 12"...........................12"
Chest: 41.7"............................39.4" - 2.3
Waist: 33.9"............................31.9" - 2
Calf: 14.5"...............................14.5"
Thigh: 23.2".............................23.6" +.4

Overall, a little disappointed. I'm not really sure if the chest measurement is accurate, don't think I know how to measure it properly. I'm also quite suprised and happy that my waist has gone down, I would of thought it would stay the same and I would still have a 34" wasit.

So my question is.. What the hell happened? Could it be I lost fat? Oh well, no point complaining, guess I'll try harder on my next cycle.

On a side note, when I look and tense in front of the mirror, I look alot more defined then before, my arms also look bigger despite being the same size and my chest is alot more defined so I don't know how my chest went smaller.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers.

RoWdY_RuFf_BoY: I have absolutely no doubt that you are not eating enough if you want to add size. However, you have very usefully lost a fair amount of bodyfat by all accounts without much, if any, size loss. This is a good place to start to now add some size. First, you need to work out your daily requirements but, as a guess, I would say that you could just try adding an extra 500 cals a day to your present diet and see how you get on. If it's hard for you to get the extra, add in a protein shake (eg. banana, whey powder and whole milk). If you start putting on weight too quickly (ie. more than a pound a week) cut back a bit. If you don't see the scales go up after a week then add some more cals. Add in more cals on training days first.

<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 31 2006,00:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">RoWdY_RuFf_BoY: I have absolutely no doubt that you are not eating enough if you want to add size. However, you have very usefully lost a fair amount of bodyfat by all accounts without much, if any, size loss. This is a good place to start to now add some size. First, you need to work out your daily requirements but, as a guess, I would say that you could just try adding an extra 500 cals a day to your present diet and see how you get on. If it's hard for you to get the extra, add in a protein shake (eg. banana, whey powder and whole milk). If you start putting on weight too quickly (ie. more than a pound a week) cut back a bit. If you don't see the scales go up after a week then add some more cals. Add in more cals on training days first.</div>
What he said. You weren't eating nearly enough. When you aren't working out, you need to eat like it's your job. Track everything you eat. If you don't gain weight from week to week, eat even more.

Now that I think about it, I hadn't really been focused on my diet. I'll up my cals and focus on getting more food in.

Thanks for comments.

<div>
(RoWdY_RuFf_BoY @ Jul. 31 2006,14:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now that I think about it, I hadn't really been focused on my diet.</div>
Its probably more important than the workout!
tounge.gif

here's my wrap up of hst from my journal on bb.com

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:BLUE'>Wrap-Up of HST</span></span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:RED'>Before HST:</span></span>

These were my 1 Rep Maxes:
Squat = 130 kgs (300 lbs)
Incline Barbell Bench Press = 65 kgs (140 lbs)
Power Cleans = 50 kgs (125 lbs)
Machine Bench Press = 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Lat Pull Downs = 85 kgs (190 lbs)
Leg Curls = 55 kgs (120 lbs)
High Pulls = 0 kgs (0lbs)

Initial Weight = 75 kgs (165 lbs)

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:RED'>After HST:</span></span>

These were my new 5 Rep Maxes:
Squat = 120 kgs (265 lbs)
Incline Barbell Bench Press = 85 kgs (190 lbs)
Power Cleans = 60 kgs (130 lbs)
Machine Bench Press = 90 kgs (200 lbs)
Lat Pull Downs = 90 kgs (200 lbs)
Leg Curls = 65 kgs (140 lbs)
High Pulls = 60 kgs (130lbs)

Final Weight = 80 kgs (176 lbs)

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:RED'>Summary of HST:</span></span>

These are my new 1 Rep Maxes:
Squat = 140 kgs (320 lbs)
Incline Barbell Bench Press = 95 kgs (215 lbs)
Power Cleans = 65 kgs (145 lbs)
Machine Bench Press = 105 kgs (225 lbs)
Lat Pull Downs = 90 kgs (200 lbs)
Leg Curls = 65 kgs (140 lbs)

Increase in 1 Rep Maxes:
Squat = 5 kgs (10 lbs)
Incline Barbell Bench Press = 30 kgs (65 lbs)
Power Cleans = 15 kgs (30 lbs)
Machine Bench Press = 5 kgs (10 lbs)
Lat Pull Downs = 5 kgs (10 lbs)
Leg Curls = 10 kgs (20 lbs)
TOTAL = 130 kgs (285 lbs)

But this was a strength increase on 7 lifts averaging out to be almost 20 kgs (45 lbs) per lift….

Total Weight Gain = 5 kgs = 10 lbs

Hst worked VERY well for me….i do not regret doing it one tiny bit….i cant believe I managed to pull through it lol…! &amp;#61514;

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:RED'>The Near Future:</span></span>

I am gonna take hrdgain81’s advice and play around in the gym for 15 days, and then I will be jumping onto the SF 5x5 bandwagon…

I will be posting my workouts in this journal till I begin SF 5x5….

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:RED'>The Final Words:</span></span>

HST is truly an awesome program…..the first 4 weeks with the 15 and 10 rep schemes helped me a lot….

BOTTOM LINE: I will be doing HST soon after SF 5x5

-------------------------x------------------------

as you can see, i loved HST..

i will now be rotating 3 programs:
1.) HST
2.) 5x5
3.) Fortified Iron's Hypertrophy Program

peace

-Big Boy aka Andalite

New results!!!

Before HST:

Biceps L 13, R 13
Chest 38 1/4
Waste 32 1/2
Thigh L 21 1/4, R 21 1/4
Calf L14 3/4, R 14 7/8
Shoulders 43

After HST cycle 1:

Biceps L 13 1/2, R 13 1/2 + 1/2 inch each
Chest 39 + 3/4 inch
Waste 32 1/2 No Change
Thigh L 22, R 22 +3/4 inch each
Calf L 14 7/8, R 14 7/8 + 1/8 on one.
Shoulders 43 No change*
* Wife says she thinks she may have measured wrong the first time, as I appear broader to her.

Results for HST cycle 2:

Biceps L 14, R 14               +1/2 inch each
Chest 39 3/4                              +3/4 inch  
Waste 33 1/2                             +1 inch
Thigh L 22 3/4, R 22 3/4     +3/4 inch each
Calf L 15, R 14 7/8                + 1/8 on one
Shoulders 45                             +2 inches

Total since beginning HST 20 weeks ago:

Biceps L, R     +1 inch each
Chest      +1 1/2inch  
Waste     +1 inch
Thigh L, R      + 1 1/2inch each
Calf L, R      + 1/8 inch each
Shoulders 45      +2 inches

Just finished my 5th... 6th cycle? Anyway it's my 1 year results of HST. 8 months of bulking and 4 months of cutting.

OneYearResults.jpg

Started at:
5'11&quot; 24 years old

Upper Arm: 11&quot; (shooting for 15&quot;)
Forearm: 11&quot;
Wrist: 7&quot;
Chest 36&quot; (40&quot;)
Waist: 32&quot;
Thigh: 21&quot;
Calf: 13.5&quot;
ankle: 9&quot;

6 months ago:

172lbs (185lbs was heaviest during the year)

upper arm: 13.25&quot; (+2.25&quot;)
chest: 41&quot; (+5&quot;)
forearm: 12&quot; (+1&quot;)
calve: 14.75&quot; (+1.75&quot;)
thigh: 23&quot; (+2&quot;)
neck: 16&quot;
waist: 35-36&quot; (+4-5&quot;)

Now:

163lbs

upper arm: 13&quot; (-0.25&quot;)
chest: 41.5&quot; (+.5&quot;) (I actually was 42.5 at month 8, so this down from that, but I'm assuming it was fat loss)
forearm: 12&quot; (0&quot;)
calve: 14.75&quot; (0&quot;)
thigh: 22.25&quot; (-.75&quot;)
neck: 16&quot;
waist: 34&quot; (-2&quot;)

For my cutting cycle I lowered the amount of exercises I did and took up cardio kickboxing (muay thai) 3 times a week plus 3 days of lifting.

Routine was:

A:
Leg Curl
Squat
Bench Press
Pull-up
Bent Over Row
Shoulder Press
Curls
Tricep Pushdown
Standing Calf Raise

B:
Lunge
Deadlift
Dip
Pullup
Bent Over Row
Curls
Tricep Pushdown
Standing Calf Raise

I cut down my carbs mainly taking in 3200 to start and lowering to 2700 (I watched to make sure I was losing about a lb a week as not to lose too much muscle). My ratio was 40% c, 40% Protein, 20% fat to start. For my next cut cycle in several months I'll start with a much lower carb intake as I didn't get the results I was looking for.

Overall I'm happy with the bulk, but as for the cutting it didn't seem to go as planned. The outside fat on my stomach didn't change at all but my waist size did. I can call genes on this one, but the question still remains what do I have to do to finally get that roll of fat off? I'm going to do Max stimulation for the next two months and continue with the cardio, but will be upping my calories dramatically. Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

holy crap, sun tzu!!!  Those are great results!  You look like a totally different person, keep it up!  Max-stim is difficult to get used to at first, but it makes alot of sense to train that way for hypertrophy.

smile.gif

23lb gain in one month.  6lbs in the last week.

Only doing HST for 3 weeks now - can't blame it on the workout.  It must be because I was very dehydrated, sick, injured before.  And I've now increased my calories to where they should be and gained all my lost water weight back.

The true benefit from hst though has been - now that I'm well, rehydrated, ready to workout hard, getting enough calories - I have added almost 1/2 inch to my arms in the last 3 weeks - I doubt I'll add much more over the rest of the cycle - but hey - it's more than I've ever done before.  Also I've added 1/2 inch to my calves, 1/2 inch to my thighs, 1/2 inch to my chest.

Temorary &quot;muscle shock&quot;, water gains, going away soon?? I don't know, I don't care.  I just know that my &quot;endurance under load&quot; is improving, my performance in and out of the gym is better, and I feel good for the first time in a couple of years.

I do wish I knew about this 3 years ago when I was a 300lb tub of lard and just getting started in this weight training thing. Then perhaps I wouldn't have overdone it on the cardio, overtrained with wights and ended up at 170 with a raging metabolism that I couldn't feed enough and struggling to gain...never thought that would happen to me.

I do have one concern about HST training though. I don't know if it will help or adversely affect my triathlon performance. We will know next may. I'm concentrating on strength/size through the rest of the summer and winter - with tri training starting back in the late winter to get ready for the spring race season.

After one year of HST and...not counting calories. Gains not too good, initial gains due to stopping smoking, stilll off by the way!

I'll put it this way! I know I am not eating enough to grow right now, and it will not be easy to count calories either not with a busy family.
biggrin.gif

Apr-05 Apr-06 Difference
Neck 14.50 15.84 1.34
Biceps 14.40 15.55 1.15
Forearms 11.25 11.88 0.63
Chest 42.00 44.75 2.75
Waist 31.50 31.68 0.18
Thigh 21.00 22.17 1.17
Calf 14.50 15.25 0.75

Back