Your Opinion on Coral Calcium and Plain Calcium

TightHandlez6

Hey, I've read some topics on coral calcium supplementation in this board anad in others. Bryan Haycock said that coral calcium is the same as any other calcium forms. However, my question is, and I'm sorry if this seems naive, but from the logical reasoning behind the pH levels of bodily fluids and how calcium can increase the alkalinity of thse, therefore helping to maintain the body in normal conditions, is calcium, as claimed by many, truly effective in preventing certain conditions? Do you think there's any truth behind all this, or do we stick to what was taught in school: calcium is good for bones and teeth? I would also appreciate anybody telling me anything about any studies done on this topic. Thanks a lot for the help.

Dear TightHandlez6,

Regulation of acid-base balance in the blood is an intricate process involving the renal and respiratory system as the main buffers with other subsets of body-homeostasis factors also lending support.

The ingestion of supposedly acid-buffering foods may or may not help, especially if you are a healthy individual whose acid-base balance is sufficiently regulated by the above-mentioned systems. Under certain conditions, your blood pH might be slightly more acidic or alkaline, but usually this still is within non-pathological limits.

Calcium is required by bones and teeth, but also for the vital functioning of nerve signals by your nervous system. It is interesting to note that calcium homeostasis is regulated more tightly than glucose homeostasis. Should you not be into dairy products, other sources of good calcium include almonds, leafy greens (this is a big plus) and fresh fruit.

Now, to answer your question: but from the logical reasoning behind the pH levels of bodily fluids and how calcium can increase the alkalinity of thse, therefore helping to maintain the body in normal conditions, is calcium, as claimed by many, truly effective in preventing certain conditions?

First, I must say that the buffering systems in one's body does not rely on calcium. And even if it does, such buffering by calcium is very minor. Things like potassium (again, from leafy greens and fresh fruit) and bicarbonate (a byproduct of metabolism) and the renal and respiratory excretion of acidic entities are the key determinants.

But yes, the consumption of calcium can prevent certain conditions, but only if you are already deficient in calcium. Also, because calcium competes with other minerals for uptake, the consumption of calcium together with other minerals might cause you to be deficient in those other minerals.

As for a buffering effect, eat potatoes and leafy green vegetables. If on a low carb diet, eliminate the spuds and stick to ample leafy greens (I personally take up to 3kg or about 6.6lbs of leafy greens in raw weight a day) and by doing so you should meet some of your mineral needs (I still have meat for iron, zinc, vitamins etc) and also, any pH buffering that might be of concern.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Calcium is far more important for things other than your bones; so much so, that if your available calcium is low, your body will pull it out of your bones.

That having been said, the hype over calcium is probably overblown; buffering effects may be beneficial, but probably not to the degree the current fad would indicate, and there's more ways to buffer than by supplementing calcium.

Back