Workout music

quadancer

Many of us like it loud and hard; me included. My criteria isn't just metal or rock though. It must be: Clear / not stupidly vulgar / imaginative / hard, driving; punctuated / nonrepetitive (don't bore me) - so excluding endless albums of robovoiced deathmetal drumsolos...
Spineshank - outstanding and inventive - not for the fainthearted
Ill Nino - same
A.N.I.M.A.L. - pretty good
Killswitch Engage - hold on to the bar man!
Sevin Dust - "Alpha" album - similar to Korn sound
Children of Bodom - "Are you Dead Yet?" slightly repetitious but good
The Sword - Heroguitar, Sabbath-like licks, VERY good
Evanescence - ChickScreaming Metal with good lyrics
and of course some of you like Pantera; I'm undecided.

I like to listen to a lot of Nine Inch Nails while working out. Lately, I've been listening to the new album. The Hand That Feeds is a great workout song, the rest of the album is great too, but that song makes me want to work out hard. I also like to listen to classics like Heresy, Terrible Lie, Ringfinger and of course Closer.

VNV Nation is good too, though doubt anyone has heard of them... They have some great songs for working out, like Fearless or Epicentre. Good stuff.

I agree about Spineshank. I can lift to a lot of their stuff. I've also enjoyed in the past Rammstein, though maybe if you don't understand german very well, you might not enjoy it as much? I guess you can't understand a lot of the english in some metal though, and people seem to manage with that, so who knows.

THRASH metal...metallica, slayer, sepultura....I love thrash. Here comes the PAIN!!!
mad.gif

Progressive Trance like DJ Tiesto/Ferry Corsten/Oakenfold

Dark/Dirty Drumnbass: Unknown Error absolutely rocks a workout

On the opposite end of things: sometimes I work out to Kitaro and Vangelis

Sorry if you guys don't know any of these!!!

My tastes are all over the place, but more tame.  In no special order:

Alternative:  Bush - Testosterone
Electronic:  Moby - Run On
Old Rock: Alice Cooper - Halo of Flies
Rock:  Junkhouse - Oh, What a Feeling; Linkin Park - In the End
Classical guitar:  Ottmar Liebert - Barcelona Nights
Country: Charlie Robison - John O'Reilly; Austin Cunningham - Yankee Farm in Texas; Cooder Graw - Shifting Gears; Kasey Chambers - The Captain; Max Stalling - Runnin' Buddy; The Mavericks - I Want To Know
Pop:  Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Old Pop: Harold Faltermeyer - Axl F
Opera:  Mozart - The Magic Flute "Queen of the Night"

I see this thread is going to be some fun. It will keep me busy with the Itunes samples for a while, and maybe save time from searching through endless junk tunes.

Hey, Chance - you DO realize we're talkin' about music to lift weights with, huh? Country ? Well, each to their own!

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Mar. 17 2007,07:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Progressive Trance like DJ Tiesto/Ferry Corsten/Oakenfold

Dark/Dirty Drumnbass:  Unknown Error absolutely rocks a workout

On the opposite end of things: sometimes I work out to Kitaro and Vangelis

Sorry if you guys don't know any of these!!!</div>
Progressive trance i occassionally listen too...I like the driving bass. But Kitaro??? to lift? I would only listen to Kitaro AFTER a workout. While falling asleep.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 17 2007,11:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey, Chance - you DO realize we're talkin' about music to lift weights with, huh? Country ? Well, each to their own!</div>
Yep.  The local FM radio station that plays 'em, KHYI www.khyi.com , calls itself &quot;hard country&quot; to distinguish itself from the &quot;Great Garth Cloning Experiment of the 90's&quot; and to warn of a bit of bad language, mature themes, and excessive twang.  I've lived here in Texas since '83 -- it grows on you.
laugh.gif

Okay Chance, you've been redeemed for the culture shot with Ottmar Liebert's stuff. I checked him out and I absolutely LOVE that style of spanish guitar. I can see working out to that - very bold, macho, strong stuff.

As for all the rest of the stuff you guys posted, Itunes doesn't bring any up. Not even Alice Cooper, and he's more pop than anything to me! I wonder if any of you know of another program to use for sampling.

Hey Sci,

I guess it's kinda like the Russians listening to classical, maybe something about getting the brain into alpha waves. If I can get that effect, my concentration and focus on the lift before me and my form really skyrocket. This is why only sometimes, cause most of the time, I can't get into that alpha mode, and then yeah, it's just too boring to workout to.

The progressive trance is REALLY PERFECT for cardio.
(Note to all people who think electronic music is all the same thing: progressive trance is not the happy crap they play in aerobics studios).

PS - I have been listening to Kitaro and Vangelis since I was 9 years old. Alot of it is literally a part of me.

Hmmm, let's see....

There's about 3 or 4 Rocky themes that are a must; Rage against the Machine, The Matrix soundtrack (the track where Neo &amp; Morpheus are battling with the JuJidsu (spelling??!!); The Contender theme is always good for PRs; and yes, even some Eminem (Lose Yourself comes to mind, there.)

mostly heavy metal- Sepultura, Slayer, assorted black metal, Old 97s, Corrosion of Conformity, old Minitry, Lifter Puller.  sometimes stuff that makes you happy is a good change of pace, so I can see listening to country or something non-traditional.  a band I just discovered that is pretty intense is The Aborted out of Belgium. yikes.

Another reason that the iPod is my favorite toy ever.  I can bring wherever I go to lift, play my &quot;workout&quot; playlist and have it shuffle through the songs.  My list includes:

Story of the Year (Taste the Poison, March of the Dead, Wake up the Voiceless)
Rage Against the Machine (Calm Like a Bomb, Wake Up, Bulls on Parade, actually probably about half of their songs)
P.O.D (Set It Off, Boom)
Fort Minor (Remember The Name)
Trick Daddy (Let's Go)

among others....

Beatles, DMB, N.I.N., Joe Walsh, Yellowcard, Arctic Monkeys - just about any rock music as long as it isn't too light

Rock
Rap

Anything hard or heavy....no britney spears!

Ultimate workout song...anything hard or heavy with the Rocky theme song at the beginning!

This is the stuff on my iPod Shuffle (basically, it's filled with my lifting music!)

It Dies Today (metalcore/screamo)
Atreyu (metalcore)
As I Lay Dying (metal)
The Agony Scene (metal)
In Flames (metal)

And that's basically it.

Definitely RATM and Eminem. Iggy Pop - raw power's perfect - Green Day, The Clash, Cay, Your Highness etc. for guitar music. Cham, Dizzee Rascal, Atari Teenage Riot/Alec Empire, Panic DHH, Zan Lyons, DJ Rupture, Pop Will Eat Itself for more electronic stuff.

Um, I don't think any of the above have *that* much swearing etc., except for cham and maybe dizzee rascal
biggrin.gif

Back