Warm up sets for 5RM

• Thread starter imported_dunhoonK
  • Start date
I

imported_dunhoonK

In the FAQ section , Bryan discusses warmups for each 15 / 10 / 5RM.
For the 5s, it states :
5s - 1 set 5 reps @ 50% of working weight

1 set 3 reps @ 70% of working weight

1 set 2-3 reps @ 80% of working weight

1 set 1 rep @ 90% of working weight (optional)

Since the 4th set is optional, i decided against it so I'm doing 3 sets of warmups (@ 50% , 70% , 80%) and THEN 2 sets of my 5s.

Just curious if anyone else is using this many warmup sets in there 5s.
Thanks

My warm up is always the same:

Push ups
Pull ups
Squats

Bodyweight. 1 set each. 15 to 25 deliberate reps.

I think for a 5RM this is a good idea. Not just from a physical warmup standpoint, but also to prep you, strength-wise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 06 2005,6:46)]My warm up is always the same:
Push ups
Pull ups
Squats
Bodyweight. 1 set each. 15 to 25 deliberate reps.
For the squats, do you just use your body weight; sort of like deep knee bends?

He said he uses his bodyweight.

I do the same basic thing, O&G. The only thing is, I would think a bit more of a warmup would be in store for heavier exercises like squats, especially when aiming for a 5 RM or something of that nature.

I probably have a philosophical difference here but I don't consider anything above my 3 rep max to be "heavy" weight. If I were doing 3 or less reps (which I don't really do anymore), I would definitely do a ramping up type of warm up as opposed to a simple body temp type of warm up.

I also don't think you can go wrong by doing a complete ramp-up style warm up even for higher rep workouts as long as you don't end up training a muscle more than you need to. Even then the only real downside is wasting time as opposed to doing any type of muscular damage.

Well.. I'll take that under consideraton since I didn't done any warmup sets when finding my RM's. I used the graphical chart way. I guess I should redo them.

i do a general warm up jogging on spot etc..then i do 1 warm up set for squats,pulldowns.db bench,...after that i just do working sets for every other exercise.ie curls etc...the reason being i think all the muscles should have been worked with them 3 exercises...do you think this is ok.

Back