thoughts on HST and cardio-training

stan

I was just wondering, what effects does HST have on 'stamina' and the cardio-vascular system?

Isn't HST geared towards working below levels of effort requiring 'stamina', and how does HST affect the cardio-vascular system (if at all)?

I'm mainly just wondering how much running I should do.. It'd be great if I could skip it, but that wouldn't help with fat-reduction now would it :)

S.

Like any weight training workout HST is not aerobic. However I do believe the 15 rep block enhances endurance if that is what you mean by stamina.

If you want to reduce fat you will have to eat in a daily caloric deficit of your current maintenance. Certainly running will help burn calories and help fat loss.

Joe G

So HST doesn't affect or need endurance, that's what your're saying, right?

A person with 25-30% bodyfat could start HST, and it wouldn't affect endurance. Wouldn't HST or any muscle program then put too much pressure on the cardio system, or does it grow stronger as well, and if so, it does then affect endurance, right?

Use the search option to get discussion previously about cardio and HST, there's also a great section on it in the FAQs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan @ Oct. 19 2005,6:44)]So HST doesn't affect or need endurance, that's what your're saying, right?
A person with 25-30% bodyfat could start HST, and it wouldn't affect endurance. Wouldn't HST or any muscle program then put too much pressure on the cardio system, or does it grow stronger as well, and if so, it does then affect endurance, right?
The 15 rep block does build endurance to some extent depending on the number and type of exercises you employ and rest intervals between exercises and/or sets. To say that HST doesn't need or affect endurance is subjective based on your conditioning status when you start. If you're out of shape the 15's will kick your @$$- especially if your doing 2 sets, as many on HST do. I have used a heart rate monitor before during the 15's and my heart rate gets up to 130 bpm. HST may not be aerobic but it dang sure gets close if you are out of shape like me- I'm hovering around 30% bodyfat currently.

HST can be cardio+

All you have to do is speed up the time between exercise sets. Push yourself harder and your heart rate will definitely elevate.

--------------------

Fat Burn can also be accomplished if you're doing 3 or more sets of each exercise.

Back