The Importance of Sleep

Louno

Hi,

i was wondering how important sleep is?
Are muscles only growing while you sleep ? ( therefore the more you sleep the more you grow ? )

I get on average between 6-7 hours of sleep during the week and 8 hours(or more) on weekends.

Is that enough? i guess i could try to get 1 hours extra of sleep everynight if i cut back on social activities ( which are already severely cutted because of work / gym / transport / obligations )

is 1 hour extra of sleep worth it ?

no, muscles can grow without sleep, but sleep is necessary for humans to survive.

How much you need is up to you, an easy way to tell is, do you wake up on your own (without the aid of an alarm clock or wife screaming at you to get up) and feel refreshed, if so you are probably getting enough, if not you might need more.

Most people dont get enough sleep as it is - and they dont even train.

I think we should all be getting 8 hours. Your muscles regenerate all the time but sleep is when your body does most of its repairs - its when your body gets the most down time.

Saying that...when a movie starts at 10 and doesnt finish till 12...and then u gotta be up at 7 (not including the time it takes to get to sleep)...........

(I never feel "refreshed")

I never feel refreshed either hehehe,

So if the body does most of its repairs while we sleep, sleeping alot is going to increase recovery BUT NOT hypertrophy ?
If you sleep less its just going to take longer to repair.

( not talking about fatigue the day after which in turns will result in less effective workout thus less gains etc... )

is that right ?

Yes, muscle tissue repairs itself all the time. Lack of sleep can be detrimental to overall energy recovery, CNS recovery, immune function, fat deposition, plus several other things.

So early to bed, makes a body healthy, wealthy (hasn't worked for me yet), and wise.

But how important is getting 8 hours, or more, of sleep each night to the HST Program? Like would it have enough of a difference for me to start going to bed at 8 PM every night?

What is the "recommended" total, as far as hypertrophy is concerned? I'm pretty sure 6-7 hours of sleep isn't detrimental to your health in any way, though I could be wrong.

Thanks,
TennisDude

Might be a coincidence... But back when I tried 1-ad I used to have the same appetite (for food), the same extreme tightness in the muscles and...

The same need for sleep. Since starting HST my sleep has increased from 7.5 hours to 10.5 hours on average (natural)... same as when I was on 1ad. I get napping desire in the middle of the day, same as 1AD.

There is definetely some connection between building muscle and sleep. Atleast in my experience. On top of that this HST thing sure seems to be having some effect... Too many coincidences. I am seeing the exact same patterns.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TennisDude @ May 07 2005,5:41)]But how important is getting 8 hours, or more, of sleep each night to the HST Program?  Like would it have enough of a difference for me to start going to bed at 8 PM every night?
What is the "recommended" total, as far as hypertrophy is concerned?  I'm pretty sure 6-7 hours of sleep isn't detrimental to your health in any way, though I could be wrong.
Thanks,
TennisDude
There is no predicated amount of sleep where hypertrophy is concerned, tissue can be loaded constantly and still grow. There have been a few studies to look at sleep deprivation on physical performance factors, oxidative capacity, anaerobic threshold, aerobic threshold, even strength and most of those show that even without sleep over 24 to 36 hours some markers show up (mostly hormonal) but most show little consequence to performance overall. On the other hand I haven't seen any that directly looked at the markers of hypertrophy, satellitte cell activity, enzymatic reactions or protein synthesis, perhaps Bryan or someone else has.

With HST or any training program it is important to feel refreshed and excited about working out and maybe lack of sleep can affect someone in this area (desire and willingness to train).

DKM... why do people on AAS feel more need for sleep? This has I beleive been mentioned by many users. Sleep might not have anything to do with hypertrophy itself... But maybe there's other mechanisms involved that do require sleep. This has been especially the case with the wetter compunds where people report having to take long naps during the day.

I don't know Alek, somone else will have to answer that.

Yes I have no doubt that sleep effects many things but, (here he goes with the bird stories again right Bosox ;)) when Antonio looked at hypertophy and hyperplasia the tissue grew without relieving the strain (load) for 24 hours. Now whether the quail actually slept when loaded, I haven't a clue (I wasn't there :) ) but the tissue itself grew even in the face of constant loading, this not happened once but twice when he looked at both Acute Loading and Intermittent Loading. So we can pretty much rule out sleep being needed, or perhaps a better choice of words would be rest.

I feel sleep is very important, but I nor anyone else can say, Yep all you need is X amount of sleep. Too Subjective IMHO.

From memory, I believe Arnold used to only sleep 6 hours each night. Apparently that was all his body needed. He was definitely using his fair share of AAS, and his training was designed with this in mind. This just goes to show that, as dkm said, sleep requirments are a very subjective thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alek @ May 07 2005,12:09)]Sleep might not have anything to do with hypertrophy itself... But maybe there's other mechanisms involved that do require sleep.

All I know is that when I don't get enough sleep I get sick, and being sick is no good for hypertrophy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ May 07 2005,2:50)]All I know is that when I don't get enough sleep I get sick, and being sick is no good for hypertrophy.
worship.gif
Amen brother Beast

some interesting sleep info for ya also:

Before the invention of the light bulb, people averaged 10 blissful hours of sleep per night.

Some experts believe every hour of lost sleep leads to a drop of one IQ point. Two or more points are lost if another hour is skipped.

kinda scary eh?

Another important factor to consider is that our bodies generate the majority of our growth hormone while we sleep. Cut yourself short on sleep and you cut yourself short on growth hormone production--and thus on recovery and muscular gains.

Back