Supplements That Taste Like Hell

Jon Stark

I've been taking CLA and HMB. To save money I've purchased both in raw powder form, thinking I'd just mix them up in one of my daily protein drinks.

I've only has one drink with CLA. I don't know if I can do another. It is atrocious, and burns your esophagus going down.

HMB is not quite as bad, but then again you don't take as much. 4 grams is enough to render an otherwise tasty protein drink almost undrinkable.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has any similar supplement horror stories. We can commiserate, and maybe warn each other away from mistakes like mine.

For CLA, I take "oil" that come in capsules. Each pill
is 1 g, so, to get my daily dosage I need about 10 of
those humongous pills.

Swallowing 10 of them makes my throat
hurt. And once they begins to digest
in my belly, I get this queasy feeling for couple
of hours. Food does not help. And those burps.
I can only sit totally immobile, wondering the philosphical
foundations of my supplementation, my workout
and life in general.

I dunno -- I like to get really lean, but getting
a lipo maybe easier than eating CLA for years.
I bet with my luck it will turn out (after many many
years) that all previous CLA experiments were totally
flawed, and that CLA makes people fatter.

So much for my theory that casules are the way to go next time. Sounds like you are just about as miserable as I am gagging the stuff down in a drink.

Why don't you guys get some Udo's Choice oil ? It's a blend of omega 3, 6 and 9 and from what I hear the body can convert it into CLA (can someone tell me for sure ?)

It tastes pretty good in shakes as long as it's not rancid.

I drink 30 grams of this every day, and it's doing wonders for me.

Anyway - oil in capsules is most likely rancid, and it sounds like the John's oil is rancid as well. Rancid oil tastes - well, rancid.
wow.gif

Honestly, I don't think it's rancid. The stuff is almost odorless -- which is why I was really optimistic about being able to add it to drinks without affecting the flavor. And the flavor isn't rotten so much as it is "mediciny".

The Udo's choice suggestion is interesting, though I don't know whether the body can really convert it to CLA. I'm curious about that too.

If someone finds affordable, easy-to-take CLA, I'd love to hear about it.

hello Jon, Lars and vitualcyber.
I personally never heard of Udo´s Choice Oil. Looked it up, and the decription of its contents and the effects seem to be very impressive.
Here in the Netherlands the price for a 500 ml bottle is nearly 30 Euro. Pretty expensive. Based on Lars enthousiasm i am considering using it though. I think I´ll just give it a try my next HST cycle, making sure not changing anything else cardio- and diet- wise, to be able to monitor the effects of that Udo´s on my fatpercentage.

Lars, you mention that Udo´s oil doing wonders for you. Can you please give some details on that comment? I presume you have very noticeable results in decreasing your bodyfatpercentage related to that product , or overall health ( or both?)?
Also, you mention using 30 grams a day. Can you mention how much of the oil you add to your meals, and which meals?
Do you let it be part of your postworkout-proteinshake?
I know, a lot of questions came up. Lars, thanks for your info!

Bye,
andré.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (andré @ May 22 2002,6:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lars, you mention that Udo´s oil doing wonders for you. Can you please give some details on that comment?  I presume you have very noticeable results in decreasing your bodyfatpercentage related to that product , or overall health ( or both?)?
Also, you mention using 30 grams a day. Can you mention how much of the oil you add to your meals, and which meals?
Do you let it be part of your postworkout-proteinshake?
I know, a lot of questions came up. Lars, thanks for your info![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Good effects:
- Better skin (color and texture)
- Less problems with psoriasis
- Better eye-sight
- Eaier bowel motions
I also mentioned some effects when I started using it instead of flax seed oil diet wise.

I take the 30 grams in one or two shakes. Usually at night. Some people use it as salad dressing, and I know some people take it straight.

I actually think my [chocolate] protein shakes taste better with the fat as well :)

I'd like to hear more about Udo's Choice oil too...

My understanding (maybe wrong) is that this is a balanced oil (like Lars says above). Since most people get way too much omega-6 and too little omega-3, this helps correct the problem.

But it always seemed to me that a better way of correcting this problem is to just take a lot of omega-3s to balance the omega-6s I already get in my diet.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of the product.

Back