Squat Form

Chuck L Head

I've seen various writings about the correct form when doing squats. A lot of sites seem to recommend keeping the knees above the feet and not allowing the knees to move forward of the feet. Other sites don't seem to make that big of a deal of this. In my practice, the only way and can do the "knees above the feet" form is on a Smith machine. Otherwise, when I squat, my knees naturally move forward of the position of my feet. For now, I'm going with what feels natural rather than trying to force myself into what I feel is an awkward and off-balance position. What's the opinion of others here?

I don't think many people can do a full squat without their knees travelling forward. As long as they don't go so far as to put all your weight on your toes, you will be ok.

I agree, my knees have always gone a little over my feet. Imagine trying to do deadlifts without your knees coming forward.

yes, I have always read that but actually it is not in my checklist when I do squat..... I believe the important things are:

1) keeping your sight high in front
2) keeping your back straight up
3) getting you ass out on your way down
4) get full squat, really full, no parallel to the floor or things like that
5) my favourite, count to 3 on your low position before start moving back up.... it keeps you from bouncing the least and makes you really take off from zero

Back