specialization routines

austinslater

how can you use the hst cycle and also specialize on one bodypart? Any ideas on how to change things to really bring up a weakness etc? I really need to bring up my arms, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Austin

Do a consolidation routine for most of your body.

Add extra movements for your problem parts.

You can also consider adding extra workouts just for problem parts. Example:

M-W-F: Squat, SLDL, Dip, Chin, BB curl, French Press
T-R-S: DB curls, DB Triceps ext

The T-R-S workouts are very quick and easy; they only require a couple of spin-lock dumbells at home, not much weight, take ten minutes, and you don't even have to change. All the heavy/sweaty work happens in the main workouts in the gym.

I use to always think this too, but what happens to the muscles? Do they have enough repair time? (In this case that edziu pointed out, the tris and bis are being worked 6 times a week.)

About specialization

Here is what i did, twice per week workout, supersets for lagging parts and normal HST progression and rules.

Please critique at will:

fausto
do you find gains with supersettings?how do you incorporate supersets with hst?
what supersets do you recommend for lagging chest ,biceps,triceps.delts,back.legs?

for hst and supersetting you use the same weight progression for the supersets?do you take some rest between the 2 exercises for supersets?example 30 s?

I organized my last cycle similar to edziu's suggestion and it worked. My arms grew faster than the rest, and I didn't have any problems with recovery.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shakeel @ July 11 2003,5:41)]fausto
do you find gains with supersettings?how do you incorporate supersets with hst?
what supersets do you recommend for lagging chest ,biceps,triceps.delts,back.legs?
for hst and supersetting you use the same weight progression for the supersets?do you take some rest between the 2 exercises for supersets?example 30 s?
Supersetting in HST uses the same weight progression for each exercise that you normally would. And, with the superset concept there is little (or no) rest between exercises, only after both are done.

For instance, if you superset DB incline bench & cable rows you'd do a set of bench followed immediately by rows, then rest x seconds (depending on # reps), and then repeat if desired.

If you have that many lagging body parts, you probably just need to do a balanced routine w/ compound movements; that just indicates that your whole body is not where you want it to be, and isn't that where most of us are at? :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fausto
Do you find gains with supersets?
Yes sir, they work quite well.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How do you incorporate supersets with hst?
As Jsraaf pointed out you follow the same type of progression as per normal HST, bearing in mind that your load will be slightly lower than when doing a normal straight set :D for obvious reasons ...he...he...he...your body would soon tell you anyway:p
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What supersets do you recommend for lagging
chest:
Depends on what you have available, but here's a few:
Decline d/b flyes/Flat d/b press
Incline d/b flyes/Flat b/b press
Cable cross overs/weighted dips rest max 30s between, the less rest the better they work.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]biceps
EZ curls/preacher d/b or ez curls
Arnold curls/reverse close grip chin ups to chest
Preacher ez curls/incline bench alternate d/b curls (45 - 60 degree)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]triceps,delts,back.legs?
- there are a few of each of those in my program just download it
Hope this helps:butbut
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For hst and supersetting you use the same weight progression for the supersets?do you take some rest between the 2 exercises for supersets?example 30 s?
Jsraaf gives the appropriate answer to this so I will not repat it

Enjoy yourself mate,
Cheers
Fausto

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stud_From_Wsburg @ July 10 2003,8:15)]I use to always think this too, but what happens to the muscles? Do they have enough repair time? (In this case that edziu pointed out, the tris and bis are being worked 6 times a week.)
Your concern stems from an outdated misunderstanding of how growth works. Your muscles are continuously reparing themselves, even while you are working out. A new session does not stop the previous repair work; it just adds more stimulus.

So long as you do not overdo it so much that you're causing damage faster than your muscles can repair it, frequent bouts merely keep the growth stimulus high at all times.

Old-school thoughts on needing "sufficient recovery time" between bouts stemmed from observed effects of frequent training to failure -- your CNS needs recovery time after training to failure, or you will not return to full strength. . . but as long as you stay away from failure, that becomes a non-issue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shakeel @ July 11 2003,11:13)]no i mean superset for the same bodypart?
Sorry, I was thinking supersetting antagonistic parts, which is what I'm doing right now.... duh.
blush.gif

Of course edziu, lol, i dont know what i was thinking. for sum reason i was completely focused on training to failure, even though it would happen only once every 2 weeks. my bad. thanks for settin me straight, and ill stop highjacking this thread, bye

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ July 11 2003,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stud_From_Wsburg @ July 10 2003,8:15)]I use to always think this too, but what happens to the muscles? Do they have enough repair time? (In this case that edziu pointed out, the tris and bis are being worked 6 times a week.)
Your concern stems from an outdated misunderstanding of how growth works. Your muscles are continuously reparing themselves, even while you are working out. A new session does not stop the previous repair work; it just adds more stimulus.
So long as you do not overdo it so much that you're causing damage faster than your muscles can repair it, frequent bouts merely keep the growth stimulus high at all times.
It seems to me that you could rephrase Stud_From_Wsburg's question this way: "if I train every day, won't I damage my muscles faster than they can repair themselves?" The fact that muscles continue to repair themselves while they are trained doesn't mean they repair themselves to the point where they are 100 perecent as strong as the day before. True, if you're using submaximal weights, that's not such a big concern, but the closer you get to your maxes, wouldn't incomplete recovery become a problem?

I'm going to revive this old thread because it's exactly what I'm concerned with. My lower back is not very strong in relation to everything else. It limits the work my legs get from squats and deads. I was going to do front squats and sbsldl to work the legs. So then according to the recommendation earlier in this thread, I should work my lower back every day. The goal would be to strengthen it enough that for my second cycle I could switch to squats and deads.
Should I do one set of light deads every day? Or is there another exercise that's better for focusing on the lower back? Will the sbsldl work the lower back enough on leg days?
(sbsldl=straight-back straight-legged deadlift)

One of the keys to continued lifting without injury is to have a strong trunk. I'm glad to see you recognize your weakness before rushing into something that could cause you serious harm. Remember, to have a strong back you need a strong stomach and vice versa.

I do the following trunk routine twice a week outside of my HST workout:

Weighted Crunch Machine
Decline Leg Raises
Lying side bends on hyperextion bench
Weighted Hyperextensions

I stick between 10 and 20 reps as I want to have endurance in that area as well as reasonable strength.

Good mornings are also a good lower back exercise as well as the sldl you mentioned.

Thanks for the input, O&G.

I'm doing SD for another 6 days. Would it be all right to start on this extra trunk work now, or would that compromise my deconditioning? My back strength certainly hasn't plateaued, if that matters.

My crunches are coming along nicely. I've been raising the difficulty with hand position and the next step is weighted crunches. I also do lying leg raises.

I work out at home and don't have a hyperextension machine. I guess I'll stick with GM's and/or SLDL's.

I'm happy to report this worked wonders for me.
thumbs-up.gif

I added a set of GM's two days a week, for a total of 5 days/week of working the lower back (8 sets/week total). For the first four weeks or so, my lower back (and hams) had more soreness than other places. I kept reminding myself soreness was ok if it keeps getting stronger. I snuck in a couple tests of squats and deads recently, and I can do a lot more now, despite not having done them for many weeks.

Back