Single set vs. multiple sets

I think your question has 2 parts to it Y:

1. There is no one exercise, in my opinion, for a bodypart that adequately stimulates all the muscle fibers in that bodypart. Just as there is no single rep range or tempo that will do the job adequately over time. HST typically uses a 15/10/5 rep range to address that. I also make sure that my last rep in any given rep range is about 3 times slower than my first rep on the eccentric portion to help address the fast/slow twitch factor.

2. As to whether 80% of your 1 RM is adequate, it would depend on how many reps you did. However, sticking to that formula would have you bump into RBE pretty quickly. I think Bryan's scheme of 15/10/5 allows for a nice progression of weight which helps to reduce the effect of RBE.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Dec. 06 2004,5:14)]1. There is no one exercise, in my opinion, for a bodypart that adequately stimulates all the muscle fibers in that bodypart.
that's what i wanted. thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ Dec. 06 2004,12:26)]do you believe an exercise at 80% of your 1RM stimulates all muscle fibers ?
It's actually "If the muscle is contracting with 80-85% of it's MVC" This is only 80-85% of your 1RM during the hardest part of the exercise. (which limits a full ROM exercise). All fibers that are involved are recruited.

The deal is, muscles like pecs and lats have multiple insertion points so are more like several muscles that we call one muscle. Pecs, Lats, Traps, and I think Glutes CAN have regional hypertrophy since it's technically not 'regional'.

Remember the whole idea of 'tension across a muscle' if the angle of force is putting the tension more across the center of the pecs, those fibers are the ones doing the work.

But muscles like the rectus femoris (with a feather like pennation of the fibers and a straight line of pull) would have to contract 'all as one'.

Ron

Back