Setting up HST workout

tony23

I can dumbbell curl 15 lbs for 15 reps. What should my workout schedule be. I can't understand it. It would be easy if I could curl 50 lbs, but I can't. I'd appreciate any help.

Skip the curls during the 15s. It will make incrementing easier. Then for the 10s, you can start out at 10-15 lbs. What is your 10 RM and 5 RM?

Another more viable option is stick to compounds until you have built up sufficient strength to allow more progression possibilities.

But you can also duplicate the workouts which allows a higher starting load.

Yeah, I would go with Dan's suggestion. What are you doing for compounds? Some bentover rows, chinups, etc should help build up more strength in your arms.

Alternatively, I would consider not adding in curls until the 5s. Then go 15 15 20 20 25 25 or something along those lines. You could also use smaller increments to try to gain more strength, assuming you have small enough plates. Maybe 15 17.5 20 22.5 25.

Hey tony23 :)

Drop the curls until you get to the 5's or post 5's (depending on how long you actually will extend your cycle). Start with 15 pounds, repeat the weight for two or three workouts, then increment by 5 pounds.

You don't even really have to do them. Just focus on the heavy core movements, they are the real arm growers. Then you can do the isolation work with a lighter weight merely for metabollic work.

Regards,
-JV

The compounds I do are one arm db rows and db presses, I do high reps 15-20 on the rows since I have a bulging disc. I use 20 lbs for the rows and 15 for the presses.

Back