Setting up first 8 week cycle?

littlelouie

Hey all I am new to the forum and I have a question on the sets as we all do in the beginning. I am totaly a rookie to this HST so any and all advice is helpful. I have recently turned 30 and have hit a major plateau in my lifting as of late. I can not find a routine that I like or one that has really produced me with the results i desire. I have tried them all from DC to HIT and now I have been looking into this HST cause it just makes sense to me.

I was thinking of doing say 1 set per BP and hit all BP's i.e.

Chest/Delts/Tris/Quads/Hams/Calves/Abs/Back Thickness/Back Width/Traps/Bis (Not specifically in this order)

so that would be 11 sets per workout 3X per week.......does this hold water with you guys? Or do you need to hit bigger BPs' with 2 sets or I even see some of you guys not even hit smaller BP's like bis & tris......

Nice to meet you all and I am very excited to try this rotuien so help me out!!!

louie most people start with this
15s 1set
10s 2sets
5s 3sets
but it depends on you how you feel etc.
i personaly do
15s 2sets..2wks
10s 2sets..2wks
5s 3sets..2wks
5s 2sets with a metabolic set 2wks
and i drop arm isos when i get to the 5s..good luck :D

Ok wow, that is intersting. This HST thing is all new to me so I am still learning as we go. I am so excited to try it and get it going but I want to do it right you know.

Ok so on oyur 5's you drop Bis & Tris all together huh? They get enough stimulation from back & chest/delts......

Also a little confused at this whole calulator thing. Maybe you can help me there more.

For incline i did 360 for 4 reps the other day so on the 1RM calc. that would be 393 for 1RM. Now is there another calculator to tell me what my 5, 10, & 15's are? I see the main calculator but that is for after I know those numbers. Maybe I am just totally missing something?

i cant help you with that one mate i work out all my maxes in the gym..then set out a programe if i can go heavier than the maxes i have set out i do .then adjust the maxes on my next cycle.

No problem, I have been researching my butt off over here and am gonna take next week to get my maxes leik they suggest and take the following week off and then go for it.

Let me ask you a coupdl of easy questions?

1-How much do you increase the weight by to reach your maxes? i.e. Say for curls your 5 RM is 150, do increase it 5% as I think I saw to be at that 5 RM on WO #6 of that phase?

2-Do you just do the number of sets and then stop. ie. curls on week one of 15 reps say i calculated it to be 115, do i just curl it 15 tiems and stop?

God i need to read more i know it, but i love it at the same time!!!

Ok I found a PDF file in here all on FAQ's so I will read that over and hopefully it will answer all of my questions!
Thanks for your help so far though!

Louie

Welcome to HST :D

If you working from 1RM's like me, then do this:

15's up to 70% of 1RM
10's up to 80% of 1 RM
5's up to 90% of 1 RM
negatives 100 - 120% of 1 RM its up to you!

Sets as Faz indicated:

15 - x 1 / 10 - x 2/ 5 - x 3 and drop iso's some people drop to 2 sets on second week for both 5's and negatives.
One thing you can do is to add some metabolic work like pulse stretches or loaded stretches but don't go mad.

Read that FAQ it is good stuff another good read is Jules Pimp my HST e-book.

Good luck mate!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Dec. 02 2005,5:55)]Louie
Welcome to HST :D
If you working from 1RM's like me, then do this:
15's up to 70% of 1RM
10's up to 80% of 1 RM
5's up to 90% of 1 RM
negatives 100 - 120% of 1 RM its up to you!
Sets as Faz indicated:
15 - x 1 / 10 - x 2/ 5 - x 3 and drop iso's some people drop to 2 sets on second week for both 5's and negatives.
One thing you can do is to add some metabolic work like pulse stretches or loaded stretches but don't go mad.
Read that FAQ it is good stuff another good read is Jules Pimp my HST e-book.
Good luck mate!
Very nice, ok during the 5's drop all iso's all together huh? Wow that goes agaisnt everything I have ever doen but hell I am not agaisnt it. I am gonna look for that book you said, if I cant find it you might be getting a PM........

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I look forward to sticking around and asking and growing!

Ok I found the books, I have a lot fo reading to do. Also is that book by Charles Ridgely worth the $20 bucks? I would think with all this info I wouldn't need it right?

Thanks again!!!

Hi littlelouie, welcome to HST. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very nice, ok during the 5's drop all iso's all together huh? Wow that goes agaisnt everything I have ever doen but hell I am not agaisnt it.
Well, it isn't necessary to drop the iso's if you don't want to. Many people here, including myself, have opted to get rid of the iso's once they hit the heavy weights in order to concentrate on the compounds. But in the end it's up to you. Start a cycle and judge for yourself if you need them or not.

Best of luck,
Dimitris

Louie

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also is that book by Charles Ridgely worth the $20 bucks?

You don't really need that for now! I don't know who bought it but apparently it is quite good up to you mate!

The two e-books I refferred you to FAQ and the pimp..... are good enough to give you most of the info you require to set your things up....

Giving up the iso's as Dimitris says its not a must but makes sense once the weights get brutal...some of us like me have opted to do isolations on days off or keep just some as LP or PS's as I have mentioned, those are nicely explained in the pimp book by the way, Joules really did a great job there!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow that goes agaisnt everything I have ever done but hell I am not agaisnt it.

He...he...he...I felta that way too when I first joined, that's HST for you mate! But a rather effective method it is.

Cheers

Thanks for the help bro, I appreciate it a lot. This HST thing is not just as easy as lifting a lot of weight. As I get older and get more injuries and stuff this scientific approach is just calling my name!

I am chomping at the bit to get it started but next week is my maxes and then the week off then I am gonna follow it for a full 8 week cycle and hopefully it goes well. I don't see how it couldn't honestly.

Thanks again!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Dec. 02 2005,8:16)]Hi littlelouie, welcome to HST. :)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very nice, ok during the 5's drop all iso's all together huh? Wow that goes agaisnt everything I have ever doen but hell I am not agaisnt it.
Well, it isn't necessary to drop the iso's if you don't want to.  Many people here, including myself, have opted to get rid of the iso's once they hit the heavy weights in order to concentrate on the compounds. But in the end it's up to you. Start a cycle and judge for yourself if you need them or not.
Best of luck,
Dimitris
Ok that makes sense. I am gonna see how I feel after week 4 and see where I am at physically. I have a buddy who never hits his bi's directly and has sworn by this for some time now and the SOB has bigger guns than me so I can see how it makes sense!

This place is great for help, I appreciate everyone holding my hand for a little while until I can walk on my own.

you can do a lot of reading up while you sd..as the guys said you dont have to drop isos if you can handle them but a lot of us do...the thing is you might be pushing your arms to faliure if you keep them in..imo :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (faz @ Dec. 02 2005,9:39)]you can do a lot of reading up while you sd..as the guys said you dont have to drop isos if you can handle them but a lot of us do...the thing is you might be pushing your arms to faliure if you keep them in..imo  :D
Yeah i figured i would start my maxes today (15's), then again on monday (10's) and then wednesday (5's) and then start it up the 19th so i will have 11 days off, sufficient according to the plan and good for me as well, kinda worn down lately.

Sound good?

I will also read into the routine more as well over that time so i should be good to go by then........

Back