Running & Deadlifts

colby2152

Today was the first time I went running for longer than a few minutes since my appendectomy in October. Overall, I stopped a half a dozen times in the mile and a half run. I came to thinking about my hamstrings directly afterwards.

Since running utilizes your legs - mostly your hamstrings, will this constant stretching help condition the hamstrings to a point where you will be able to deadlift more weight?

Sprinting...yes. High-velocity sprinting requires massive power-output from the hamstrings and many other muscles. Which is why all elite sprinters have massive legs. I have heard of conditioned athletes who never did a deadlift before doing 400+ in their first session, simply because the muscle power was already there, and deadlift is a primal movement.

More endurance-type running may even be detrimental, since endurance running and deadlifting massive weights are so very different. I have heard of athletes losing strength when doing long-distance running.

Sprinting is anaerobic and very similar to weight-training, so it would probably be beneficial, and at least not too detrimental.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 24 2007,18:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sprinting...yes. High-velocity sprinting requires massive power-output from the hamstrings and many other muscles. Which is why all elite sprinters have massive legs. I have heard of conditioned athletes who never did a deadlift before doing 400+ in their first session, simply because the muscle power was already there, and deadlift is a primal movement.

More endurance-type running may even be detrimental, since endurance running and deadlifting massive weights are so very different. I have heard of athletes losing strength when doing long-distance running.

Sprinting is anaerobic and very similar to weight-training, so it would probably be beneficial, and at least not too detrimental.</div>
Thanks for the quick and logical response. I'll make sure the jogs don't last too long (15-20 minutes isn't much) and transform them into an HIIT pattern.

This is an interesting tidbit on HIIT...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A HIIT session involves a warmup period, several short, maximum-intensity efforts separated by moderate recovery intervals, and a cooldown period. The period of alternating effort and recovery intervals typically lasts a total of 15 minutes.

Studies by Tabata [1], Tremblay, and others have shown this method to be more effective at burning fat and maintaining, or building, muscle mass than high-volume, lower intensity aerobic work-outs. According to a study by King [2] , HIIT increases the RMR (resting metabolic rate) for the following 24 hours, and may improve VO2 max. Traditionally, long aerobic workouts have been promoted as the best method to reduce fat, as fatty acid utilization usually occurs after at least 30 minutes of training. HIIT is somewhat counter intuitive in this regard, but has nonetheless been shown to burn fat more effectively. There may be a number of factors that contribute to this, including an increase in RMR, and possibly other physiological effects.</div>

Back